Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robcass View Post
    Awesome!
    I've been meaning to post a photo of my plant. It's really come up nicely this year.
    This is it's third year after planting and I have about 30 shoots coming up. Should get a decent amount of hops.
    Started with one rhizome from an unknown SAB variety.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1295[/ATTACH]
    color me so jealous..

Comment

Originally posted by robcass View Post
      Awesome!
      I've been meaning to post a photo of my plant. It's really come up nicely this year.
      This is it's third year after planting and I have about 30 shoots coming up. Should get a decent amount of hops.
      Started with one rhizome from an unknown SAB variety.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1295[/ATTACH]
      That's some impressive density working its way up there! I think severely underestimated the weight of these things, so am hoping my makeshift bamboo/string system will withhold the full weight once they start popping flowers. (Not sure when exactly they'll start to flower as I have them under some lighting, which I think freaks them out a bit)

Already trying to plan for something of a more permanent structure for the next go round.

Comment

Yeah they can become quite heavy. My advice would be to build something fairly sturdy, but build high.
        I built mine at just over 3.5m and it's not high enough.

I don't know when they start flowering as a rule. I only know what I have experienced. Their growth seems to slow once they reach a certain height at which point they start to flower. The first year I got a very small crop, but only had one or two bines. The second year I got two crops from about 5 bines. One fairly early in the season and another, smaller crop, towards the end of the season.

Comment

Nov 4 Update
          IMG_2809.JPG
          The Cascade is busy throwing laterals. Had to put up a few more horizontal lines to handle all the growth. I've had some pests start to get at some of the lower growth (possibly mealybugs?) so i've had to get rid of a few damaged leaves, but the upper portions and the laterals are all looking healthy.

I've also been growing a Nugget hop bine. It stalled for a while but recently took off and looks good!
          IMG_2810.JPG

Comment

Some cones started to show themselves this weekend!
            Hops.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by b_magee View Post
              Some cones started to show themselves this weekend!
              Are those flowers or cones?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

Technically it's the start of the 'burr' which turns into the flower/cone. Those little burrs are now actual cones... i'll have to take another photo with an update.

Comment

The latest from my first year Cascade... it's pretty much taken over the entire side of my house. Overshot the pole I had put up and started to climb along the chimney/roofline. Have had lots of burrs and little cones popping out.
                  IMG_3505.jpg

I took a mini-harvest of about 20 cones (various sizes) that were all 'feeling ready' - a bit dry, papery, with lots of lupulin visible. Has a wonderful wet Cascade aroma.
                  IMG_3509.JPG

Comment

Looking great! Think you'll be sharing some rhizomes over winter?

Also, how are you guys ensuring that these rhizomes aren't going to possibly affect the local hops by bringing in pathogens? Or is this not a real concern?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by b_magee View Post
                      Technically it's the start of the 'burr' which turns into the flower/cone. Those little burrs are now actual cones... i'll have to take another photo with an update.
                      Thanks for the info and the photos. I did not see this on mine, so I had to ask

Those hops looks yummy!

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan View Post
                        Looking great! Think you'll be sharing some rhizomes over winter?

Also, how are you guys ensuring that these rhizomes aren't going to possibly affect the local hops by bringing in pathogens? Or is this not a real concern?
                        I will happily share, now that I know it is a female plant!

Mine was purchased from a nursery where they grew the hops from seed, so I am not worried about any bugs.

Comment

Nice! What strain/s do you have?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Comment

Reviving an old thread: is it allowed?
                            I've probably got a few rhizomes coming my way, how have the growers found their hops progressing, since this thread is now nearly 4 years old, and what height have the plants grown to.
                            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DeanoZA View Post
                              Reviving an old thread: is it allowed?
                              I've probably got a few rhizomes coming my way, how have the growers found their hops progressing, since this thread is now nearly 4 years old, and what height have the plants grown to.
                              Thanks
                              Where did you get rhizomes?

Sent from my ART-L29 using Tapatalk
                              Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
                              Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas View Post
                                Where did you get rhizomes?

Sent from my ART-L29 using Tapatalk
                                Sorry I can't say

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X