Opening & Cleaning sab keg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening & Cleaning sab keg

How do one open a SAB keg. It's an empty one. Do I need special tools? Thinking of kegging my beer in it one day. How do I properly clean it?

I have not tried this, but I think SAB has proprietary kegs/connectors to stop people from doing exactly that.

Luckily, you are not the only one who ever thought of this. Contact Bevan from Draughtcraft.co.za. He might help you with a replacement connector that can be used by us normal people.

Cheers

Comment

A mate of mine who modified my keg as a boil kettle for me said he had to cut the top off first, otherwise you will battle to open it as it requires a special tool.
      Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

Ok, so you need a special connector to be able to use it then for personal brewing. Is this common practice for us in SA or is it better to go with those corny kegs?

Comment

On the tri-lobe type kegs its actually not too difficult to remove the spear/shaft/coupler. You need a pappa bear monkey wrench and an angle grinder. Is this what you want to do?

Comment

Originally posted by StevenD (Slainthe) View Post
            A mate of mine who modified my keg as a boil kettle for me said he had to cut the top off first, otherwise you will battle to open it as it requires a special tool.
            No, I want to use it to keg my beer. Not as a kettle.

Comment

Ok very easy. First you need to decompress the keg. Then take a pair of pliers and grip the center spear then lift and turn clockwise. The srear will fall in the keg. Then unscrew.

Comment

Comment

My goodness. Dont the pliers damage them spear with all gripping?

Comment

It is easy to turn but yes I did use a old rag for scratching. Just remember it is stainless.

Comment

Hope that helps. And Bevan is the man for the couplings.

Comment

Is it really that easy?

And thereafter? How do you clean the keg and keg your beer?

Comment

I'm using the 30l kegs for beer. So the hansa and stella and grolsch. I used the 50l for kettle. Cleaning is a mission. I'm building a washer for the kegs and my glass carboys. I will post a video on YouTube on the opening of the keg.

Comment

I have an alternative method. Let me just try find the pics and I'll post them.

Comment

.....apologies, been advised to remove this post....
                              Last edited by Rory.; 14 April 2015, 15:11.

Comment

Working...
                              X