Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Juice Source

Juice Source

The previous juice question was left somewhat inconclusive so I will rephrase here again.

Where can I get large amounts of apple cider, preservative-free, in the Pretoria region?
    I am not really interested in pressing my own apples, as space is somewhat limited for me.

I made a really potent hard cider a while back using Food Lover's Market's clear apple juice. Only after I pitched the yeast did I realize the stuff was tainted with preservatives. Emergency stir plates and a massive starter later and I produced something that was actually good (FG was 0.99!). I am now scared of buying winkel apple juice, as I believe even if it says "no added preservatives" there might be some in the concentrate that was used to make the juice!

One of my colleagues at work said her local Food Lover's had a press where you could press the apples you buy there for instant juice. This would be the best situation. Does anyone know of such a place in pta?

Thanks and have a good weekend!

THE APPLE ORCHARD
    Company Details
    Physical Address : FAERIE GLEN, PRETORIA EAST, PRETORIA AREA, GAUTENG, ZA
    Tel No : (012) 991-5107

Found that on the internet, not sure if they would help you.

But if you can't find any fresh pressed at Fruit&veg or Food lovers market,
    you can try Woolworths juice or Liqui-fruit,
    they both don't add preservatives(really don't, they add Vit-c)
    All for Brew AND brew for all

Liqui-fruit apple juice makes a very decent hard cider and an okay applewine...
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

I believe that most of the juices that come in Tetra pack (e.g. Ceres or Liquifruit) are pasteurised, so they shouldn't have preservatives. One the other hand, the juices the fridges tend to have them.

Which Food Lovers is the one with the juice press? Now I'm keen to get a cider going.

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcur View Post
    I believe that most of the juices that come in Tetra pack (e.g. Ceres or Liquifruit) are pasteurised, so they shouldn't have preservatives. One the other hand, the juices the fridges tend to have them.

Which Food Lovers is the one with the juice press? Now I'm keen to get a cider going.
    Yes CERES and LIQUI-FRUIT is the only juice in normal stores that don't have those nasty yeast killers in, according to my knowledge and research.
    I normally wait for these to go on special and then know it's the craft beer gods instructing me to make cider

https://www.makro.co.za/groceries-an...--126855002CSZ
    All for Brew AND brew for all

So I grabbed 8L of Liquifruit popped it in a fermenter and added US-05. SG was 1.061.

Now to wait...

You may want to monitor it. I let my first batch ferment till all activity stopped. The result was a very dry drink with not much flavour. Subsequent batches I stopped at about 1.02 to 1.015 or slightly lower depending on how sweet you want them. Then I heated the cider to 70C for 20 min to kill the yeast. These kept for several months and maintained their flavour. You can also back sweeten with juice but this too will need to be pasteurized to prevent your bottles exploding!

I did some reading on cider making. I'm not able to force carb, so it looks like I'll need to back sweeten with a non-fermentable sugar. I'm still deciding whether to use Sucralose, Lactose or Stevia. I've already got some Lactose lying around somewhere, so I chances are I'll just use that.

Xylitol also works great and tastes like cane sugar, is't just a little pricey. Lactose will work wonderfully too.
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you