Juice Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juice Source

The previous juice question was left somewhat inconclusive so I will rephrase here again.

Where can I get large amounts of apple cider, preservative-free, in the Pretoria region?
    I am not really interested in pressing my own apples, as space is somewhat limited for me.

I made a really potent hard cider a while back using Food Lover's Market's clear apple juice. Only after I pitched the yeast did I realize the stuff was tainted with preservatives. Emergency stir plates and a massive starter later and I produced something that was actually good (FG was 0.99!). I am now scared of buying winkel apple juice, as I believe even if it says "no added preservatives" there might be some in the concentrate that was used to make the juice!

One of my colleagues at work said her local Food Lover's had a press where you could press the apples you buy there for instant juice. This would be the best situation. Does anyone know of such a place in pta?

Thanks and have a good weekend!
    For things I'm selling:
    - I can be contacted at homebrewer at dline dot co dot za
    - I am located in Pretoria East
    - I am always open to reasonable offers, especially if you are picking up more than one thing I'm selling.

THE APPLE ORCHARD
    Company Details
    Physical Address : FAERIE GLEN, PRETORIA EAST, PRETORIA AREA, GAUTENG, ZA
    Tel No : (012) 991-5107

Found that on the internet, not sure if they would help you.

But if you can't find any fresh pressed at Fruit&veg or Food lovers market,
    you can try Woolworths juice or Liqui-fruit,
    they both don't add preservatives(really don't, they add Vit-c)
    All for Brew AND brew for all

Comment

Liqui-fruit apple juice makes a very decent hard cider and an okay applewine...
      Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
      Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

I believe that most of the juices that come in Tetra pack (e.g. Ceres or Liquifruit) are pasteurised, so they shouldn't have preservatives. One the other hand, the juices the fridges tend to have them.

Which Food Lovers is the one with the juice press? Now I'm keen to get a cider going.

Comment

http://www.woolworths.co.za/store/pr...L/_/A-20074067

4Lt @ R55
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by kingcur View Post
            I believe that most of the juices that come in Tetra pack (e.g. Ceres or Liquifruit) are pasteurised, so they shouldn't have preservatives. One the other hand, the juices the fridges tend to have them.

Which Food Lovers is the one with the juice press? Now I'm keen to get a cider going.
            Yes CERES and LIQUI-FRUIT is the only juice in normal stores that don't have those nasty yeast killers in, according to my knowledge and research.
            I normally wait for these to go on special and then know it's the craft beer gods instructing me to make cider

https://www.makro.co.za/groceries-an...--126855002CSZ

Comment

So I grabbed 8L of Liquifruit popped it in a fermenter and added US-05. SG was 1.061.

Now to wait...

Comment

You may want to monitor it. I let my first batch ferment till all activity stopped. The result was a very dry drink with not much flavour. Subsequent batches I stopped at about 1.02 to 1.015 or slightly lower depending on how sweet you want them. Then I heated the cider to 70C for 20 min to kill the yeast. These kept for several months and maintained their flavour. You can also back sweeten with juice but this too will need to be pasteurized to prevent your bottles exploding!
                I spent 90% of my money on brewing and drinking beer and the other 10% I wasted

Comment

I did some reading on cider making. I'm not able to force carb, so it looks like I'll need to back sweeten with a non-fermentable sugar. I'm still deciding whether to use Sucralose, Lactose or Stevia. I've already got some Lactose lying around somewhere, so I chances are I'll just use that.

Comment

Xylitol also works great and tastes like cane sugar, is't just a little pricey. Lactose will work wonderfully too.

Comment

I use this, doesn't add flavors or after tastes, just adds a little sweetness that the yeast stripped away
                      Beer & Wine sweetener

Sodium Saccharin is 450 -500 sweeter than sugar
                      Sodium Saccharin

Comment

How much per Lt on average ?

Comment

Depends on how sweet you want it,
                          the instructions on the package says:
                          "add 1/2 teaspoon per 25litres"

Comment

Damn, that is surprisingly little .... with Xylitol they say to backsweeten about 3 tsp per 4Lt ... and Xylitol is hectic expensive.

Comment

Xylitol is sadly...any idea where one could buy the sodium Saccharin other than brewcraft?

Comment

Working...
                              X