Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed up fermentation, typically used for lagers, can be used to self carbonate your beer. Pretty cool thing to read up on

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
      'Scuse my ignorance... What's the actual purpose of the pressure? What does it do or change?

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
        Great ! Did you fab the spunding yourself or store bought?
        Bought it on Wish, a bit fiddly but not too difficult to dail it in.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
        2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• So who's brewing on heritage day?

I'm planning a blonde I'm calling vienna passion.
          55% Vienna
          Balance marris
          +250g chit for head retention

And of course southern passion 30min boil
          +5min Motueka.

My hope is the lemon lime of the motueka compliments the passionfruit.

Let's see....

Cheers
          Jannieverjaarkoeldrank

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

• I brewed a bitter, with Fuggles and east kent. Also made the sugar wash for my first distillation, 1.080 OG. My T500 should be here by the weekend, doing a simple alcohol and then perhaps a botanical bath before dilution.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• I brewed an APA. My OG was 15 points short, so I had to add a lot of DME.

Used Ragnarok yeast that I got from a friend. I am tempted to leave the beer in the garage, but my brain does not like the idea. So it is in the bathtub, with the other APA. This weekend I will be brewing another APA.

I think I like APAs.

Comment

• I'm thinking an apa this coming weekend sounds good. Raganarok is the Voss strain, likes heat. Mine is bubbling away, pitched at 39c and currently sitting pretty at 30c in the chamber. Give it a go, top crop tomorrow night and you're good for another batch or three.

Comment

• Sticking to US05 for the moment. Still dialing in my kit so dont want to many variables.
                  I under evaporated so I added 10min to the boil. Since the pack of Southern passion I have is only 6.5% it didn't add to much ibus.
                  But I'm way below my target sg. Aimed for 1.047 only got 1.039. Didn't add dme. I'm going to ride it out and see. I corrected for temp on my hydrometer reading. But will check and confirm (that's Way off)

Anyway it should make for an easy drinking beer. I've been looking at APAs, it looks like a good summer beer

Comment

• Brewed a Red IPA.
                    Apollo -bittering
                    African Queen - flavour
                    Southern Passion - Aroma.

Also bottled my Hobgoblin Gold clone, had a taste, tasted great, wife tasted, she insisted I pour her a glass, she drank as is. This ones going to be good, most likely will go fast.
                    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Who will be brewing this weekend? I'm doing an American wheat with galena, enigma and citra with a decent dry hop of the last two, after stranda fermentation. Then a craft tonic for the keg, kegging my bitters and next weekend a stripping run on the t500 (if the wash is ready)
                      Happy days!

Comment

• Sounds like a full weekend! Mine will be spent watching bubbles. Maybe I should bottle next weekend and brew another batch. That way I won't run out again. That's a bad place to be.

Jvk

Comment

• Agreed! I tend to brew more than I need, even if it sits on cold crash longer, that way I know I won't be buying off the shelf. I do need another keg, now that one has been lost to tonic.

Comment

• Had a nice unexpected mid week opportunity to brew today. Did a SAB pale and T90 Blend SMaSH (only learnt today what smash actually means) I had limited time so shortened and simplified everything:
                            -45 minute mash
                            -40 minute boil
                            -single full boil hopping
                            -hops just dumped in with no bag
                            -spilt rehydrated yeast in the rush, but just used the remaining 50ish percent.
                            -ferment in boilbucket.
                            -Forgot to turn on SCR to maintain mash temp, but drop was only ~1.5 deg

Pale yellow green colour wort and used S33 yeast. (would have preferred US05 tho)

[4.8kg pale malt, 37g hops, 20.5L wort, 1.050 OG, ave mash temp 64]

Efficiency was back to good figures so got me a nice full fermenter with higher than anticipated SG [despite 45 min mash]. Not sure what the change was, except being new fresh malt. Might be mopping up krauzen overflow again this weekend.

Hoped to do it quicker, but 4 hours beginning to end
                            Langchop
                            Last edited by Langchop; 27 September 2019, 08:41.
                            Cheers,
                            Lang
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• ^ Nice one.

I made a sh|t load of SMASH beers when I first started with all-grain and to this day still prefer a SMaSH above some of these more complicated recipes

It's the best way to teach your palate what a specific hop tastes like.
                              JIGSAW
                              Last edited by JIGSAW; 27 September 2019, 07:57.
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                                It's the best way to teach your palate what a specific hop tastes like.
                                Yea thats exactly what I am trying to do, but more specifically malt flavours at this stage. [vienna and munich smash to follow] Was just trying to gt a clean bittering from the hops. In hindsight, I should have done smash's for at least my first 10 AG brews
                                Cheers,
                                Lang
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Working...
                                X