Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tasted my SMASH yesterday. Wow is great.
    Pilsner and Southern Passion.
    No sparge
    No chill
    No cold crash
    No gelatin
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
      Tasted my SMASH yesterday. Wow is great.
      Pilsner and Southern Passion.
      No sparge
      No chill
      No cold crash
      No gelatin
      Sounds nice and simple. What were your hop timing? Hope you can post a pic some time
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Getting ready for

5l Trad. Mead
        5l Melomel
        5L Cyster

25L Apfelwein - Wifie loves this...... Drunk wife happy life.... you know how it goes

Comment

• Originally posted by Deneys View Post
          5l Trad. Mead
          Now you're talking... What's your plan/recipe/goal?

Comment

• Looking at a ABV of 12-13% got some raw honey at a good price R85 per kg I got about 9kg of it.

Going to use about 5.5kg of the honey to 18liters of water this should get me to about 12% Ferment it in the primary (Bone dry). Split it into 3 x 5L carboys. one for the Trad. 1 for Mel and the other for Cyster. (Mel and Cyster done in secondary) That will leave me with hopefully 1l for top-ups.

Comment

Looking at a ABV of 12-13% got some raw honey at a good price R85 per kg I got about 9kg of it.

Going to use about 5.5kg of the honey to 18liters of water this should get me to about 12% Ferment it in the primary (Bone dry). Split it into 3 x 5L carboys. one for the Trad. 1 for Mel and the other for Cyster. (Mel and Cyster done in secondary) That will leave me with hopefully 1l for top-ups.
              I would strongly recommend you dial down the ABV, specially if you're going to ferment it to stronger with the cyser and melomel. To me, the "golden ABV" for mead is around the 11% mark. Anything more tastes too hot, too fast, and will require some aging to get drinkable.

Your method is solid - I would just turn it down to maybe 8% ABV for the "blank", and then split, and then add a little more on the arse-end of the traditional to boost it to around 11% ABV. The rest will get there with the fruit sugars. Too strong is also not fun, and trust me, 11% goes a long way. I'm bottling the other half of my last 25l batch tomorrow, probably.

What yeast are you planning, and how familiar are you with the mead making practices of temp control, feeding, etc. etc.? I'll be more than willing to help you with some hints and tips to make sure your first mead doesn't taste like jet fuel. Been there, done that, and it's a huge waste of honey.

Comment

• Nee ek weet nie
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                  Nee ek weet nie
                  Yea I'm out of this conversation too )
                  Cheers,
                  Lang
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                    Sounds nice and simple. What were your hop timing? Hope you can post a pic some time
                    30 minutes.
                    Transfered wort to fermenter. Hop addition when wort was about 65C.
                    Beer is a bit hazzy, to be expected. Will post a pic this week.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                      What yeast are you planning, and how familiar are you with the mead making practices of temp control, feeding, etc. etc.? I'll be more than willing to help you with some hints and tips to make sure your first mead doesn't taste like jet fuel. Been there, done that, and it's a huge waste of honey.
                      Thanks for the much appreciated information Toxxyc. I will be using the ICV-D-47 but do have the EC-1118 if it crashes on me. Will be feeding it Fermaid O. This will be the first time I use the organic version as I normally use the K. and will be feeding it in stages. To be honest I'm more of a country wine guy, so this will be a virgin mead for me. I have my notes at home. The normal procedure I use to make country wine that I have modified for mead. If you don't mind me posting it to see if it is any good?

Comment

Thanks for the much appreciated information Toxxyc. I will be using the ICV-D-47 but do have the EC-1118 if it crashes on me. Will be feeding it Fermaid O. This will be the first time I use the organic version as I normally use the K. and will be feeding it in stages. To be honest I'm more of a country wine guy, so this will be a virgin mead for me. I have my notes at home. The normal procedure I use to make country wine that I have modified for mead. If you don't mind me posting it to see if it is any good?
                        Jump onto my thread here so we can avoid cluttering up this one! I'm no expert, but mead has become a bit of an interest for me lately, and I've learned A LOT lately. I'll help you with mead, and you can help me with country wine. I need to find a good juice source... Anyway, my thread is below. I've made more than 50l of this mead in the past few weeks, and I dare say it's DAMN good.

http://www.wortsandall.co.za/showthr...11-traditional

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                          Jump onto my thread here so we can avoid cluttering up this one!
                          Sorry guyz I thought this tread was about " What are you brewing?"

Will be posting in the other tread
                          Deneys
                          Last edited by Deneys; 11 November 2019, 11:29.

Comment

Sorry guyz I thought this tread was about " What are you brewing?"

Will be posting in the other tread
                            It is, but if we're discussing recipe and method and so on, I'm not sure if this is the right place! :P

Comment

• I'm either doing a
                              dry hopped pilsner with citra, nelson and taiheke
                              or
                              american wheat with el dorado and mosaic plus dh this coming weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                                Pic as promised. No sparge, no chill, no cold crash, no gelatin and no irish moss or any other fining added at end of boil.
                                WP_20191111_001.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X