This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
    I was going to brew a British Bitters for the world cup, ....
    I say live on the edge, and be patriotic,.... brew up something with just ZA hops, and discover their beauty!
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• British Bitter with ZA hops. Call it the Anglo-Boer Wort.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
        I'm pretty OK with normal tap water though. I'm fairly certain it doesn't contain too many infectious things, considering the amount of chemicals they put in there to make it safe.
        Said the guy who's last batch was a Gusher Tik tok tik tok ...... Don't say I didn't warn you guys about contaminated beer and municipal water
        Harhm
        Last edited by Harhm; 31 October 2019, 11:58.
        2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
          I say live on the edge, and be patriotic,.... brew up something with just ZA hops, and discover their beauty!
          It's difficult to find anything worth being patriotic about. I guess I'm a long stay tourist in SA, and I'll eventually head home.
          I've never enjoyed any sab beer and have no desire to recreate something that I never enjoyed in the first place. I used to enjoy wine before I started brewing and now hardly touch the stuff. Too many beer styles, hops and combinations to try

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
            Said the guy who's last batch was a Gusher Tik tok tik tok ...... Don't say I didn't warn you guys about contaminated beer and municipal water
            I'm fairly certain that the infection didn't come from municipal water, considering it was a fully sterile batch at time of pitch and bottling... I didn't get full boil, but I did get the wort to around 90°C for an hour, so it's not there where the issue came in. I honestly don't know where the infection came from on that one - everything was sterilize and I actually never interfered with the batch. I never stirred it, I never agitated it, never opened the fermenter, nothing. Only opened it once to dump the gelatin (also sterilized), and that was it.

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
              All this talk of steam beer....I'm doing it next, nice crushable 4.5%'er with 100% Northern Brewer and am considering not using my favorite 34/70, but some mangrove kacks M54. If someone has used it - same two packs in a 'lager' pitch effort?
              1 pack on 20L, it's a hybrid and ferments like an ale yeast. Pre-hydrate in cold boiled water.

Comment

I almost always top up my kettle/ fermenter after the boil with cold water, but I usually spray the tap with sanitiser first
                NEVER top up on the cold side..........

Comment

• ^ So how must the millions of "kit & kilo" brewers do it then ?
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                    NEVER top up on the cold side..........
                    Industrial high gravity brewing? They even top up after the ferment.
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Industrial high gravity brewing? They even top up after the ferment.
                      but not with unboiled unsanitised tap water

Comment

• If you aren't getting your fermentation volumes right you're doing something wrong or you're lazy

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                          If you aren't getting your fermentation volumes right you're doing something wrong or you're lazy

I prefer to call it untraditional and efficient I don't see much point in chasing gravities and volumes. I brew to get the most beer I can from the system I have!
                          Langchop
                          Last edited by Langchop; 31 October 2019, 20:31.
                          Cheers,
                          Lang
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Last minute change, brewing an NZ Pilsner instead, Wakatu and Sauvin

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• I need to get at least a bit closer on my volumes. But I think I've got it now. Just need to get it on the next one.

I'm not against a bit of laziness. It leads to invention. But in my case I was just to lazy to properly research and track evaporation. That was stupid.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                                I need to get at least a bit closer on my volumes. But I think I've got it now. Just need to get it on the next one.

I'm not against a bit of laziness. It leads to invention. But in my case I was just to lazy to properly research and track evaporation. That was stupid.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk
                                Nice one on working out your profile setup, you will be knocking out very consistant brews in no time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                                Harhm
                                Last edited by Harhm; 3 November 2019, 11:16.
                                2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Working...
                                X