Page 152 of 167 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 1668

Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    Ok,

Hack n Bash Light Hoppy Red Ale ~20L (Just to use what I have and see what comes out -Limited pale malt left-might be low on enzymes):

1.2kg pale malt
    0.8kg Caramunich 1
    0.6kg Medium crystal
    0.5kg Munich 2
    0.2kg wheat malt

Hop types/ schedule/ IBU tbd
    Might scale down volume to up the OG
    Likely US05 yeast

1.035 OG
    3.4% ABV

Yes you are a bit low on diastatic power I would take 500g pale from the pilsner and use it here ( that would bring the Pils don to 4.5% abv that still in range). If you have 50% ito weight pale malt in the grain bill it should convert well enough. Mash to the low side and a bit longer if you can to get all those sugars out, it might be a bit dryer but a red needs to end slightly dry anyway. Double mill and check the pH carefully if you can.

Single addition S.Star or S,Aroma and you are good to go, Ill use SO-04 here.

Good luck on whatever you decide. You will have too easy drinking beers either way cheers !
    Last edited by Harhm; 27th June 2019 at 11:07.
    I value your experience more than your opinion Time is on your side, never rush a beer Have fun, its only beer

Thanks for that great feedback Harhm.

The hop additions do just 'feel' like a lot, so I will definately double check that. ~40IBU also in my mind just seems a bit high for what I image when I think of a pilsener.

Maybe I should just restock on some pale malt anyway. Was looking at/ researching alternative sources to supplement enzymes.... apparently this is also an option:

"In some historic methods of producing alcoholic beverages, the conversion of starch to sugar starts with the brewer chewing grain to mix it with saliva.[9] This practice is no longer widely in use." ..... Might give it a try, but not sure how long it will take me to chew through 3.5kg of malt!
    Last edited by Langchop; 27th June 2019 at 12:30. Reason: Add: [Saliva is apparently a source of alpha amylase]
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."
    www.ginormity.com

Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    Ok, just as tinkered with on BS app on my phone, from available ingredients that I have and comments here. The upcoming brews

Saaz Bohemian Pilsener (~20L)

2kg pilsener malt
    1.8kg pale palt
    0.70 kg carapils
    0.2kg medium crystal malt

26g Southern Star @ 60min
    30g Saaz @ 30 min
    40g Saaz @ 10 min
    30g Saaz @ flameout
    [Maybe reallocate some of the Saaz above to dry hop a bit as well/ instead?)

Saflager S-23

1.050 OG
    4.8% ABV
    39.5 IBU
    4.4 SRM

Hack n Bash Light Hoppy Red Ale ~20L (Just to use what I have and see what comes out -Limited pale malt left-might be low on enzymes):

1.2kg pale malt
    0.8kg Caramunich 1
    0.6kg Medium crystal
    0.5kg Munich 2
    0.2kg wheat malt

Hop types/ schedule/ IBU tbd
    Might scale down volume to up the OG
    Likely US05 yeast

1.035 OG
    3.4% ABV

Tear it apart with comments or warnings!

Now I just need to convince the wife that brewing these is more important than watching the little one
    I agree, move some malt from Pils to Ale. If you're bored, slot your recipe for the pilsner into beersmith (free) check the bu:gu . A pilsner sits at around 0.74. I'd personally drop the IBU on the Pilsner to 29 or 30. or it could be tip towards being too bitter for the malt to hold up?

I've put that pilsner into my BS with my equipment profile and mash eff settings and everything seems a little high for my licking, especially the IBU, so the IBU:SG ratio is way off. Like said, you could definitely move some pale malt over to the 2nd recipe and then drop the hops by quiet a bit.

Screenshot_9.jpg
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

So remember that original cerveza that came out terrible? I managed to find a few hidden away and decided to retry them. Its around a year old so my expectations weren't high but its actually not as bad as back then, still not the easy drinking crisp experience I was expecting from a cerveza. It's just got to much unballanced malt sweetness.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Brewing a duo tomorrow, my house pale (using kveik Stranda for the first time) and another Timothy Taylor Landlord Bitter clone. Empty kegs are sad kegs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Brew #1 done, full GF clean nearly done. Chilled to 39C. First ever stuck sparge, milled too fine. Overshot my OG with 0,005. Blaming the fine crush.

Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post
    Brew #1 done, full GF clean nearly done. Chilled to 39C. First ever stuck sparge, milled too fine. Overshot my OG with 0,005. Blaming the fine crush.
    What % mash efficiency do you usually get with the GF ?

I usually get that 75%. I'm so used to it that I design around without worrying about it, a finer crush can push efficiency up, but it was a pita.

On a side note brew #2 has just jumped to the second mash step at 68C

^ ok cool. With BIAB I usually get 84-86%, but that might also be because I squeeze the sh|t out of my bag.

I dropped to 77% with those Walts malts, but back to my normal numbers using Simpsons again with the last brew at 85.7%

My BH efficiency is set to 75%