X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1918[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1919[/ATTACH]

This is what it looks like
    Nice setup Jakes. Is that made from one of those good ol copper geysers?
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
      Nice setup Jakes. Is that made from one of those good ol copper geysers?
      yep

I can possibly go up another 10L before I have mash volume issues.

So possibly a genuine 75L kegged volume. 1 x 50L and 1 x 30L or else 3 x 30L kegs.

That baby probably has over 100 batches behind it already.

It is scary how fast a 50kg bag of SAB pale malt disappears at those volumes.

Comment

• The Pale Ale and Hefe-Weisse that I brewed turned out ok. Pale Ale tastes pretty damn good but I do detect a bit of butterscotch. The Hefe is lacking that banana/clove flavour from the yeast but it fermented cleanly. Keen to give the Weisse another go but very happy with the Pale Ale. Massive thanks again to The Flying Brew for all the advice. Legend.

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-05 at 10.31.27.jpeg
        WhatsApp Image 2019-04-05 at 10.31.28.jpeg

Edit: This is after bottle carbing for 9 days.
        "Well, I suppose if I’m being honest, there were a few times in the past where I admit I did have a drinking problem,

But I can truthfully say that I’ve become more responsible since then,

and today I always make sure that I have enough beer around so that I’ll never have a problem drinking again."

Comment

• That does look more-ish. Well done
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Looks great
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Looking good, force carbing my Burton IPA at the moment and doing a Timothy Taylor Landlord tomorrow, English bitters with EKG for the win. My Vienna Pilsner is bubbling away and should be ready next week

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• I want to brew tomorrow morning. Won't be able to visit the homebrew store today. Have Pale Malt, Wheat Malt, CaraAroma, Caraffa 2 and Melanoiden Malt, local hops. I'm thinking of either an Altbier or a Belgian Wheat beer. Leaning towards the Belgian Wheat. Pretty much all the Witbier recipes call for flaked wheat... Which I don't have. Has anyone of you done Witbier with Malted Wheat? Even if it's not a traditional Witbier, surely it will still be "lekker". Could add some oats for protein. Can then just call it a Belgian Specialty Ale..

Any thoughts on the matter?

Comment

• Doing a Belgian Specialty Ale tomorrow morning. Can't call it a Witbier as I'm not using flaked wheat or Pilsner malt... Will do a 40l split batch. One to be fermented with WLP500 and the other with the Witbier strain from Liquid Culture. Looking forward to results!

Comment

• Brewed a English bitter today(east kent goldings, first gold and fuggles for aroma) then used some of the marris otter, pale chocolate and cara amber spent grains to bake a dozen large wholewheat cranberry muffins and a wholewheat bread. Bak and brou! Chilling back with a lekker Vienna Pilsner and Netflix.

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                      Brewed a English bitter today(east kent goldings, first gold and fuggles for aroma) then used some of the marris otter, pale chocolate and cara amber spent grains to bake a dozen large wholewheat cranberry muffins and a wholewheat bread. Bak and brou! Chilling back with a lekker Vienna Pilsner and Netflix.

How many brews do you do in an average month?
                      Cheers,
                      Lang
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                        How many brews do you do in an average month?
                        I do about three brews a month to keep the kegs filled. However, I do give away heaps, nothing like free beer eh? I enjoy the recipe building, tweaking, etc way more than the actual drinking and tire of a specific beer fairly quickly. I've planned my next few brews already. Dry hopped "pilsner" (perhaps an IPL) then either a neipa or double hearted/fargo woodchipper ipa.

How many brews do you do in a month?

Comment

• Just asked cos you seem to be the most active brewer on this thread! I had a peak a couple of months ago, about 3 in a month, but usually do a brew every 6 to 8 weeks only
                          Cheers,
                          Lang
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• No harm, no foul. I like the hobby quite a lot, so many things to try. Different styles,malts,hops,yeasts,water profiles,methods, etc. It keeps me entertained. I don't try to save money with my homebrews, although the "tax" benefits are amazing :-) The small volumes I do keeps things interesting and the feedback from friends and neighbors strokes the ego. Personally I try to reach some form of zen in my hobbies, attempting perfection and all that.

Keep in mind my brew days from start to finish, including clean and everything packed away is around 4 hours max, which leaves me with enough time to do other stuff with the family. I cook breakfast whilst the mash is going, so the mornings are unencumbered with brewing. My wife says that I can't sit still and am usually tinkering or ticking off chores.

I used to drink wine and being in close proximity of many wine farms, we did a whack tonne of visits etc. Now I find wine very subtle with either a single or a few small facets in the taste department. Not that I don't enjoy it anymore but there's just too rich of a taste in a good beer to not get bored with trying lots of different ones.

Admittedly I've started to pick at flaws on "craft" beer when we go out, so just like coffee I'm not allowed to have it anymore :-)

That's enough perissology for any pleonast!

Comment

• Sound like you have it all together. Don't ever do the beer ('off') flavours courses, it will ruin most beers for you!
                              Cheers,
                              Lang
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• who's brewing this weekend? i have a fargo woodchipper ipa on the go for tomorrow 5kg marris otter, 0.5kg cara aroma, 0,1kg acidulated. bittering with galena. centennial, cascade, chinook for aroma. dry hop with those 3 c's and some simcoe for charm. using kveik voss again. calling this a session ipa with a lower than normal abv a decent bu:gu and lowish ibu at around 40. easy peasy.

Comment

Working...
                                X