Page 170 of 179 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 1785

I think our lager is stuffed. This heat has the coldroom struggling and with a power outage, it spiked to almost 20 degrees for quite while. Oh well, it'll be a Cali Common........

Steam beer for the win, how long did you spike for? I kinda like cali commons

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post
    Steam beer for the win, how long did you spike for? I kinda like cali commons
    As long as the heat wave continues...........

Quote Originally Posted by jakeslouw View Post
    I think our lager is stuffed.
    Not necessarily, depends on the yeast, timing and SG when the temperature increased. What yeast did you use? 34/70 is very forgiving ito temperature
    I value your experience more than your opinion - You could but you shouldn't - You should but I wouldn't - Time is on your side, never rush a beer - Have fun, its only beer - Don't believe all the crap you read on the www

I think our lager is stuffed. This heat has the coldroom struggling and with a power outage, it spiked to almost 20 degrees for quite while. Oh well, it'll be a Cali Common........
    As long as the heat wave continues...........
    Is this the Festbier you're referring to? ... Isn't it at end of fermentation ... should be fine then?
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Is this the Festbier you're referring to? ... Isn't it at end of fermentation ... should be fine then?
    ja the festbier
    hopefully it is just experiencing its diacetyl rest..........

Quote Originally Posted by Harhm View Post
    Not necessarily, depends on the yeast, timing and SG when the temperature increased. What yeast did you use? 34/70 is very forgiving ito temperature
    safale german lager
    about 3 weeks in
    dunno about the SG, can't be very high

safale german lager
    about 3 weeks in
    dunno about the SG, can't be very high
    Yes you are right the SG would have been very low by then and raising it to 20 C wouldn't do much harm imo Your beer should be 100% fine, you need a little bit of sugars and yeast activity anyway when you start the D-rest.

You wouldn't get any fruity esters that late in the process from the yeast, you might get a little fruitiness from the S. Passion used as late hops but not enough that it would pass for a Californian Common. Check the SG and cold crash asap is what I would do.
    Last edited by Harhm; 30th October 2019 at 12:15.
    I value your experience more than your opinion - You could but you shouldn't - You should but I wouldn't - Time is on your side, never rush a beer - Have fun, its only beer - Don't believe all the crap you read on the www

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Correct, no boil. I heated the mash to pasteurisation temps after the mash (because I stuffed up the temps...again), which was 80C. I then sparged using a boiling hop tea I made for the bitterness and tapped off directly into the sanitized fermenter (no chill method). I then also sparged to 25l with cold water, directly into the fermenter and moved the whole shebang into the ferm chamber. I pitched yeast the next morning. I also slowly raised the temp a bit since this morning to get the yeast nice and active. We'll see how it turns out. I think this no-boil thing is opening more doors for me, so I want to give it a shot.
    Lets hope that you don't have detectable DMS in beer due to not boiling it. I don't trust the cold water that you used to sparge with to bring the volume to 25L , you didn't mention if it was un-boiled municipal water or the temp after sparging. probably too warm to pitch the same day?

Quote Originally Posted by Harhm View Post
    Lets hope that you don't have detectable DMS in beer due to not boiling it. I don't trust the cold water that you used to sparge with to bring the volume to 25L , you didn't mention if it was un-boiled municipal water or the temp after sparging. probably too warm to pitch the same day?
    Righto. You're pointing out something here I was hoping to avoid answering until I can taste the beer, but I'm going to come clean here. This entire brew was a mess, due to obvious issues, and some more. I did more wrong than I admitted, and I didn't hope to share these issues, but I'm going to now. Let me explain:

1. It wasn't boiled. This batch wasn't boiled at all, and I used a bunch of unboiled, untreated straight tap water to sparge the grains with at the end of the batch. This resulted in a TON of sediment in the mash tun which was transferred straight into the fermenter. So much, in fact, that the bottom 2l of my fermenter is just sediment. I have no idea how or if the beer will be clear come drinking at all, also due to the protein changes you get when boiling.
    2. I didn't boil the hops properly. I added the hops to hot water, but the water wasn't boiling, per se. It took around 10 minutes for the water to heat up properly, during which time the hops was steeping there. I then boiled it for around 10 minutes, and sparged with that tea. So I lied, I didn't initially boil the hops for 10 minutes. Later on though I tasted the wort and felt the bitterness was a bit low. I then took that same hops (I haven't washed the hop bag at that stage), added it to about 1l of boiling water and nuked it in the microwave in short bursts to keep the water boiling. This I did for 10 minutes again, and the resulting super-bitter "tea" was simply added to the fermenter at the same time I pitched the yeast. I figured that I've done so much wrong here already, a little more wouldn't hurt.

So far, the smells and taste from the fermenter has been great. This has been a very weird brew for me, with everything going wrong (again), but it seems like it worked. Sort of. I can't pick up off flavours, even without the boiling and with the wort taking almost 16 hours to cool down properly. It's weird, it's odd, and I don't intend on doing it again, I'm not proud of it but hey, it's what I have, and I do like doing shit my own way

EDIT: Oh yes, I like breaking the rules and not following convention. I also have to add that I've had other people taste the beer where it's at now as well, and they all agree that it tastes great. My father in law who's a big Castle Lite drinker (and to date he's hated every one of my beers) said it tastes a lot like Castle Lite to him, referring to the balance and bitterness, and I'm happy with that. To me, that's a win.