Page 171 of 174 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 1740
  1. #1701

    Quote Originally Posted by jakeslouw View Post
    I think our lager is stuffed. This heat has the coldroom struggling and with a power outage, it spiked to almost 20 degrees for quite while. Oh well, it'll be a Cali Common........

    I agree. Its ruined, probably quite toxic. I will come and take it off your hands for you. I will personally 'dispose' of it.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."
    www.ginormity.com

  2. #1702
    Quote Originally Posted by Harhm View Post
    Lets hope that you don't have detectable DMS in beer due to not boiling it. I don't trust the cold water that you used to sparge with to bring the volume to 25L , you didn't mention if it was un-boiled municipal water or the temp after sparging. probably too warm to pitch the same day?
    In terms of sanitation? My first 6 or so tin and kilo batches were done only with cold tap water. I was either lucky or the risk of infection isnt really that high?
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."
    www.ginormity.com

  3. #1703
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Hartbeespoort/De Wildt
    Posts
    1,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    I agree. Its ruined, probably quite toxic. I will come and take it off your hands for you. I will personally 'dispose' of it.
    will be on tap on 7 december, come and do your best

  4. #1704
    Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    In terms of sanitation? My first 6 or so tin and kilo batches were done only with cold tap water. I was either lucky or the risk of infection isnt really that high?
    I have this opinion and I'm considering making a video on YT about it. I call it "my opinion" and that's what it really is, and I will never preach it as fact, but my opinion on the matter is that the risk of infection in an otherwise healthy brew, mash and fermentation isn't really all that high. If you mash right, you ferment healthy, and your stuff is generally clean, IMO, infections are exaggerated a bit. For one, I make mead, which is quite susceptible to infections and off flavours and quickly shows it in traditional meads, and I ain't getting none. This has led to me not using "sanitised spoons" when I stir up my stuff. It's not like the spoon is dirty, I mean after each use I give it a good tap-water rinse and then dry it off using a clean tea towel, and then stick it back in the cabinet, but I don't sanitize it each time I use it. Same with my hydrometer readings. Hydrometer and tube is properly clean and dry before each use, but I've tapped off samples and poured them back numerous times without sanitizing it beforehand, and I haven't had a bad batch yet, so I dunno.

    Like I said, opinions.

  5. #1705
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I have this opinion and I'm considering making a video on YT about it. I call it "my opinion" and that's what it really is, and I will never preach it as fact, but my opinion on the matter is that the risk of infection in an otherwise healthy brew, mash and fermentation isn't really all that high. If you mash right, you ferment healthy, and your stuff is generally clean, IMO, infections are exaggerated a bit. For one, I make mead, which is quite susceptible to infections and off flavours and quickly shows it in traditional meads, and I ain't getting none. This has led to me not using "sanitised spoons" when I stir up my stuff. It's not like the spoon is dirty, I mean after each use I give it a good tap-water rinse and then dry it off using a clean tea towel, and then stick it back in the cabinet, but I don't sanitize it each time I use it. Same with my hydrometer readings. Hydrometer and tube is properly clean and dry before each use, but I've tapped off samples and poured them back numerous times without sanitizing it beforehand, and I haven't had a bad batch yet, so I dunno.

    Like I said, opinions.
    You will change your mind when you dump your 1st perfectly executed batch of beer down the drain. Nothing makes you clean and sanitise like a infection in your beer. Its just a matter of time
    I value your experience more than your opinion Time is on your side, never rush a beer Have fun, its only beer

  6. #1706
    Quote Originally Posted by Harhm View Post
    You will change your mind when you dump your 1st perfectly executed batch of beer down the drain. Nothing makes you clean and sanitise like a infection in your beer. Its just a matter of time
    I guess I know it's a risk, but I guess it's also something to be wise about. For instance, I'm much more sensitive to sanitary tools when the fermentation is complete or close to complete. I've brewed with mostly aggressive yeast strains, so the tiny bit of off things that might be in there is probably always killed by the overwhelming yeast population in the brew at the stage. I dunno.

    I'm pretty OK with normal tap water though. I'm fairly certain it doesn't contain too many infectious things, considering the amount of chemicals they put in there to make it safe.

  7. #1707
    Yea nah yea!

    Don't get me wrong... I sanitise everything that touches beer, and rinse my hand in it every 5 minutes or so on the cold side. I couldn't bear to throw away 6 hours of hard work!
    My *opinion* is about clean water out of a clean and regularly used kitchen tap. (ie. the water itself) A garden tap where a little spider has spun its little web, and entombed its little bug supper in the spout three days before.... is an entirely different story.

    I almost always top up my kettle/ fermenter after the boil with cold water, but I usually spray the tap with sanitiser first
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."
    www.ginormity.com

  8. #1708
    I'm also on the wrong side of this argument. Tap water for me, But since I have a big kettle and do BIAB I can boil the $ht out of all the water I add.
    But I've been toying with the idea of water chemistry for a while now....

    I'll take that one to it's own thread though there's already enough wood on this fire!

    Debate on!

    Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

  9. #1709
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeslouw View Post
    will be on tap on 7 december, come and do your best
    Diarised. We can talk Mill.

    No likely brewing gap this weekend, but if I can squeeze in a slot, I will probably try a something like a 1/3 pale+1/3 munich+1/3 vienna lager with my first liquid yeast experiment. Probably also a pressure ferment.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."
    www.ginormity.com

  10. #1710

    All this talk of steam beer....I'm doing it next, nice crushable 4.5%'er with 100% Northern Brewer and am considering not using my favorite 34/70, but some mangrove kacks M54. If someone has used it - same two packs in a 'lager' pitch effort?
    My new new kveik hasn't arrived yet and I'd not keen to spin up the stirplate on this one. I was going to brew a British Bitters for the world cup, but I dont follow sportsball. I'll fish around in the keezer, pretty sure I have a bitter chilling somewhere.

    2c on sanitation, if your method works for you, then carry on. The most sensitive time for infection imho is during the chilling, pitching and actual fermentation phase, the boil will kill off any bugs. If you're vessel is clean and sanitary and everything that touches it during chill, pitch and ferment, you should be okay. If you want to take shortcuts with moggy spoons, at least boil the kettle and rinse your spoon with boiling water? Having said that beer has been made for quite a few years in history and sanitary techniques weren't present. I'd hate to dump a batch - although I'd distill it. Keeping things clean and sanitary isn't that much of an effort, so I'd just stick with it.

    2c on tap water, boiling it should drive off some of the shite that council slots in, water reports for your area should be used, but then again council can't provide water, so how accurate will the report be? I use springwater from a farm out in Piketberg, ran through a filter and the profile is good. sab ruins filtered Newlands spring water for the swill they make. I'm keen to delve into water chemistry though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •