This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
    I'm a bit over IPA, prefer apa, pilsner and esb at the moment, but ipa for me was at least 1.1 bu:gu, 6.2abv with at least 200-300g hops including the dry hop

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    This. I've been having too many beers that are just too hop-forward for me lately. Langchop LOVES his hops, and at first this love flared up with me as well, but it seems like old habits are hard to beat and I find myself dropping back to simpler recipes and milder flavours. I'll still enjoy the odd IPA from time to time, but for now this thing with making a light, crisp, flavourful lager very well is what's really piqued my interest...

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
      This. I've been having too many beers that are just too hop-forward for me lately. Langchop LOVES his hops, and at first this love flared up with me as well, but it seems like old habits are hard to beat and I find myself dropping back to simpler recipes and milder flavours. I'll still enjoy the odd IPA from time to time, but for now this thing with making a light, crisp, flavourful lager very well is what's really piqued my interest...
      Naa, honestly, I also like to alternate between hoppy and malty/ crisp styles (hence the recent pilsener/lager). But lets be honest, its hard to screw up an IPA because you are bombing in so much flavouring that can hide flaws, so it always an easy low risk option.

BTW: i do love your brew sheet Beerholic
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Brewed many ales and quite a few IPA's. Only brewed one Lager a Marzen, which turns out to be one of my favourites.
        Will be brewing 3 lagers in the next couple of month, Pilsner, Marzen and Helles, yep also become very interested in the Lagers, especially after tasting the Marzen I brewed.
        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• This happened yesterday ... "Eng Dark Mild" with 30min boil / No-chill

Used a little more base malt than the original recipe.

Screenshot_4.jpg

20190809_155534.jpg
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Who else is brewing this weekend?

I have my very first American Wheat Beer planned, I'm doing a Gumballhead nod to Three Floyds. I dont particularly enjoy wheat beers, especially that banana leaf, peppery clove german stuff, but am giving it a go nonetheless. Stranda Kveik, which is the t*ts.
            Also keen to run my semi to closed loop copper coiled immersion to counter flow chiller.

I was also supposed to keg my Galaxy APA last night, but didn't feel like it, so that's happening tonight and I've around 12x bottles to bottle <sigh>

Comment

• Fuuuuu..... I hate bottling, only bottled 7. Four Vienna Pilsners and 3 Galaxy APA's and I hated every second of it, from scratching in the box for the bottles, washing and santizing. Used carbonation drops, hope it works. Now a week or so in ambient and then only fridge time. Pretty sure I'll kick a keg before that shite is done, such a complete pita. Now I need to rinse and pack away all the crap I used. My keg is already forced carbing, I know why I usually drink the cold flat green beer. Less effort...Only bonus is that I can have a beer I made months ago if I'm ever inbetween kegs

Comment

• Eventually got my flaked wheat and torrified wheat. Did 2 brews the weekend.
                White IPA and Wit.
                Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• I cooked up a batch of lager two weeks ago, it's currently in the back room fermenting. That will go into a keg (My first ever attempt at kegging). It will stya there for another month or so.
                  Also, Last Saturday I cooked up a 23l batch of Honey Malt Lager that I'm going to bottle. It too is currently in the back room fermenting.

Just a note to all you guys that recycle old bottles. I was given a tip that is WELL worth sharing.
                  When trying to peel off all the old labels, there is ALWAYS that terrible sticky glue stuff left behind that takes +- 5 minutes a bottle to wash off.....
                  The tip i got was to use WD40. A quick spray on the glue and it wipes off in seconds. Then a regular sunlight liquid wash to get the WD40 off..
                  I did over 70 bottles in about 2 hours yesterday. Worked like a charm. I know WD40 is not cheap, but there are cheaper alternatives.. Either way though it's cheaper than my time is worth.
                  Good luck y'all.
                  W.

Comment

• Yeah I would love to find a cheap/easy to find something that removes label glue. I've found water over time works, but it's a smelly alternative and doesn't please the wife.

Comment

• Cool tip, thank you!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• I've found that a oil and bicarb mix works wonders - strips it straight off and costs next to nothing. Google and you'll find the ratios

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                          Who else is brewing this weekend?

I have my very first American Wheat Beer planned, I'm doing a Gumballhead nod to Three Floyds. I dont particularly enjoy wheat beers, especially that banana leaf, peppery clove german stuff, but am giving it a go nonetheless. Stranda Kveik, which is the t*ts.
                          Also keen to run my semi to closed loop copper coiled immersion to counter flow chiller.

I was also supposed to keg my Galaxy APA last night, but didn't feel like it, so that's happening tonight and I've around 12x bottles to bottle <sigh>
                          Holy Moly ! I underpitched my Stranda (from a previous topcrop) yesterday at around 10am, measured SG right now 21:50 (OG was 1.045), sitting on a 1.010 adjusted as I'm fermenting at 30C. Yes, you read that right, dropped from 1.045 to 1.010 virtually in one day ~36hours

Fermentation pretty much kicked off straight away and went nuts overnight, got home at around 18:00 and the chamber was quiet. Only measured for shits and giggles, but damn it's a nice beer tasted off the tepid hydrometer tube. I'm going to drop temp to 25C and chuck in the 50g amarillo to dry hop and clean up till Friday, then CC and fine. Fermentation was quick than an eskom manager asking for a raise after a bailout, just as noisy too, but not useless.

After the little snifter of a warm taste, I'm changing my opinion, American Wheat is so much better than the German stuff, can't wait to have a fully carbonated ice cold glass of the good stuff
                          groenspookasem
                          Banned
                          Last edited by groenspookasem; 19 August 2019, 21:58.

Comment

• You really dont like to wait too long, do you?

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                            Fermentation was quick than an eskom manager asking for a raise after a bailout, just as noisy too, but not useless.
                            Cheers,
                            Lang
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• I really need to get my hands on some Kveik strains. Would love to brew a something with it.

Comment

• Hi Toxxyc.

On a whim I tried the cheap stuff I've had lying around and it worked as well if not better than the WD40

This stuff is only R50 a can (WD40 is over R100 for the same size) I recon you could get through about 70 bottle labels per tin so less than R1 a clean if you look at it that way Still cheaper than my time..

It's called GD1 and you can buy it directly from Glue Devil in Midrand 011 021 4179
                                Ask for a guy by the name of Desmond.

They do not have card facilities so either call ahead and EFT or take cash.

GD1.jpg

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                                Yeah I would love to find a cheap/easy to find something that removes label glue. I've found water over time works, but it's a smelly alternative and doesn't please the wife.

Comment

Working...
                                X