This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
    No chance. We also make mead. I paid good money for that carboy. Have you looked for water fountain refill jugs?
    Yeah, not too keen. I ideally want glass - it doesn't leak oxygen like plastics do. Those water fountain things I've seen are actually marketed as "Better Bottle" jugs. I'm not a big fan. If I'm going to use plastic, can just as well use a regular fermenter or even a bucket.
    Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Go google and watch some YT vids .... The tap on a FV is most probably the first place to look when your beer gets infected
    Yep, I'm aware. I sanitize the whole thing (including the tap) before every brew, so I'm not sure how it'll infect the beer if I just let a bit of beer squirt out of it into a glass? Talking like half a shotglass full from time to time here.

Comment

• I'm doing a ginning run on the alembic today....and my pump died, just using tap water with the output into my second empty flowbin. What a pita.

Anyway, those carboys aren't too expensive, I think beerguevara has them for R600 or something. I bought a 7l glass jug from hyperama for R150 for my kombucha, it has a plastic spout but can be replaced with stainless I'm sure. I was going to get 3x of these to fill a keg, but one is enough. Filling growlers instead, happy enough with it uncarbed.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
        . I'll take it off your hands any day....
        EDIT: Oh yes, and people have died from glass carboys
        Quite the salesman!
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Yeah, not too keen. I ideally want glass - it doesn't leak oxygen like plastics do.
          PET is used for kegging, not sure where you got your info from.

Comment

• Went and did some research.

It takes over 24 days for a 500ml PET beer bottle (thin wall) to permeate 1ppm of O2.

A water dispenser bottle is orders of magnitude thicker. Any chance of an appreciable increase in your fermenter would imply a standing time of probably well over 60 days.

Comment

• Another one of those "I'm overthinking it" things. I love to do that. Think I'll get a water bottle then!

Comment

Another one of those "I'm overthinking it" things. I love to do that. Think I'll get a water bottle then!
                don't worry, I nearly failed Matric physics because I tried to overcomplicate a simple terminal velocity equation.........

Comment

OK so my "double chocolate milk stout" that totally missed the OG I pitched anyway. I figured even if it's terrible on the end, at least I have a yeast cake I can use for the next brew. Wife already agreed that I can buy more grains if this one fails, so that's good. Anyway, I missed the OG by around 32 points. I was aiming for 1.077, hoping it would finish at 1.025 (quite sweet), for an ABV of around 6.4%. I came in at 1.045 though, and if it still finishes at 1.025, I'll have an ABV of 2.6% ABV. One of my lowest ABV beers to date, unintentionally. So let's see.

I pitched yeast on Sunday morning, and it's been bubbling away happily since. Smell from the fermenter is pretty mild, considering the strong flavours I got from the almost-black wort. It smells very yeasty, but not in a bad way. Reminds me strongly of the smell you get when kneading down a ball of bread dough, which is a smell I really like. I was a bit worried about the yeast flavours and because I'm fermenting it fairly warm for the yeast (21°C, yeast range is 17~22) to get it powering through as much sugars as possible I was worried about flavour.

So I pulled a sample from the fermenter last night. It reminds me of those semi-runny chocolate sauce syrups you pour over your ice cream. It's VERY chocolatey, which is GREAT (what I was aiming for). Bitterness is on point (REALLY glad I changed out the hops last minute). I swapped out the Admiral hops for Southern Star I had lying around as well, as I figured because of the lower OG I wouldn't want the Admiral flavours so strong, so I opted for S.Star. I'm pretty happy with this hop, it's damn cheap and works well for a bittering hop. So I swapped it out and reduced the boil time on the hops a bit, and the IBU calculator puts me at around 25 IBUs, which I'm glad about. It's not too much, but it's also not overpowering (at all).

Overall I think this batch might still be OK, but it'll depend entirely on how it finishes. If it perhaps pushes through the 1.025 mark to 1.020, for example, I'll be pretty happy. At least I'll come in at around 3.2% ABV then. I REALLY wanted this to be a well-aging winter stout, but I guess this one I'll stick in mini kegs and polish quickly. I'll have to age the next one.
                  Don't think I downplayed the hops enough. Fermentation is now pretty much done, and took another taste last night. Tastes too bitter for me, the residual sugars not enough to hide it. Will still bottle it and all that, but then I'll have to see if it's worth actually drinking and if I should just re-do the batch.
                  Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                  don't worry, I nearly failed Matric physics because I tried to overcomplicate a simple terminal velocity equation.........
                  Yeah terminal velocity is not the speed at which people move through the airport gates, apparently.

Comment

Don't think I downplayed the hops enough. Fermentation is now pretty much done, and took another taste last night. Tastes too bitter for me, the residual sugars not enough to hide it. Will still bottle it and all that, but then I'll have to see if it's worth actually drinking and if I should just re-do the batch.
                    Told you to add wort. Maar jy luister nie.

Comment

• Done ?? How? Kveik ?
                      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                        Done ?? How? Kveik ?
                        was wondering as well, a 24 hour fermentation?

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                          Told you to add wort. Maar jy luister nie.
                          Might just have to do this, but other worries here. Will have to order more grains, mash from the start, pay shipping, etc. Pain in the ass. On top of that, I'll have to get a super high-gravity wort to make it work. Otherwise, DME?
                          Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                          Done ?? How? Kveik ?
                          Nope. Just didn't take long for the yeast (BRY-97 West Coast Ale Yeast) to eat through that few gravity points.

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                          was wondering as well, a 24 hour fermentation?
                          No no I pitched on Sunday morning. Was done fermenting Wednesday morning. About 72 hours for guessing around 20 gravity points (still have to check FG). Makes sense to me.

Comment

Might just have to do this, but other worries here. Will have to order more grains, mash from the start, pay shipping, etc. Pain in the ass. On top of that, I'll have to get a super high-gravity wort to make it work. Otherwise, DME?
                            You have no grains in stock? Oh yes, you can't mill..........

Comment

Nope. Just didn't take long for the yeast (BRY-97 West Coast Ale Yeast) to eat through that few gravity points.

No no I pitched on Sunday morning. Was done fermenting Wednesday morning. About 72 hours for guessing around 20 gravity points (still have to check FG). Makes sense to me.
                              Aah ok, that makes sense ... Its just that you first post about pitching was on Tuesday
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Brew day...again, doing my reiterated bourbon mash,
                                3kg 2 row, 1kg rye, 1kg wheat and 5kgs corn (although the corn went overnight and ended on a respectable 1.053)

Nearly done with a 90 minute mash then a quick 30min boil and no chill into the fermenter. I'll pitch some kveik tomorrow.

I hope to visit adendorffs as soon as the cuntry is unlocked, need a new pump.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X