Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That sound lekker! I'm dreading my 5am brewday start tomorrow. Going to start the fireplace up... Doing a mandarina pilsner, realised the kegs get kicked quickly with pilsners, kegging my rye ale tomorrow too

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Don't think I'll be brewing this weekend. Will see maybe I'll get that blonde a go. I just love having a recipe referred to as mine! I feel so important! [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mosaic is a delicious hop, the grainbill looks good. I can't see the bu:gu rating, but a blonde is around 0.5 to 0.4 which balances the hop grain ratio nicely. Pretty efficient to get the OG with 3.5kg fermentables, I thumb it out on 1kg per 10 points, but have tuned my gear in to fit my efficiency. If you're bored check out rbr (relative bitterness ratio) and bu:gu (bittering, gravity unit ratio) I use it extensively when crafting a recipe into a style.

Comment

• ^ Weird how you mention the bitterness ratio, as I was looking at that at the same time I was making that post ... yes it is off .... Im getting 0.614 and I think a Blonde is sitting at 0.46*, but I thought Im ok with the extra bitterness, as I think that large DH also throws if off from a true Blonde, dont it ?

...and +1 ... Im a big fan of the Mosaic hop

EDIT: If I drop to a 0.463 ratio, I get an IBU of 18.8 which might be ok .... I might just do that
          JIGSAW
          Last edited by JIGSAW; 15 June 2019, 11:15. Reason: See EDIT
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Ok, so I am planning a brew for a friends wedding. This means that there can't be any experimentation on this one. Hoping to get some input from you guys. I'm thinking of something like a vienna lager malt bill but then fermenting it cool with US-05. Need some recommendations on the best hops to use for this. Noble hops is a given but I'm not certain whether to go for Hallertau or Tettnanger, Spalt, Saaz? Just want it to be refreshing and approachable beer. Will be 5% abv with a slight sweetness from a bit of crystal in the bill.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
              Ok, so I am planning a brew for a friends wedding. This means that there can't be any experimentation on this one. Hoping to get some input from you guys. I'm thinking of something like a vienna lager malt bill but then fermenting it cool with US-05. Need some recommendations on the best hops to use for this. Noble hops is a given but I'm not certain whether to go for Hallertau or Tettnanger, Spalt, Saaz? Just want it to be refreshing and approachable beer. Will be 5% abv with a slight sweetness from a bit of crystal in the bill.
              How do you upload a recipe? I have a beautiful Dark American Lager for you

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Try this one. It is really good.

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                  My Blonde for the weekend ... might even happen sometime today ... it's just kak cold to get the body going

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1985[/ATTACH]

It's based off of this recipe, but I opted for a slightly higher abv ...
                  That looks lekker! I love Mosaic.
                  Mosaic and Citra are my favorite hops to use together.

Comment

• Steam beer using a marzen grainbill? Easy quaff, tasty to boot. 100% Northern Brewer, my 2c

Comment

• Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
                      Ok, so I am planning a brew for a friends wedding. This means that there can't be any experimentation on this one. Hoping to get some input from you guys. I'm thinking of something like a vienna lager malt bill but then fermenting it cool with US-05. Need some recommendations on the best hops to use for this. Noble hops is a given but I'm not certain whether to go for Hallertau or Tettnanger, Spalt, Saaz? Just want it to be refreshing and approachable beer. Will be 5% abv with a slight sweetness from a bit of crystal in the bill.
                      I have done this a few times and my advice would be to stick to what is familiar to the beer drinkers at the wedding and then kick it up a notch. For example l go with a Helles if its mostly Castle Lite beer drinkers. Vienna will be great if there is a few more Craft beer drinkers

Stick to Saaz if you can. Rather use 34/70 Lager yeast, its very forgiving at low al temps. If you deside to stick with SO-05 pitch at Lager pitching rates ( 1.5 millin cells/ml/° plato) for minimal ester production and a clean finish.
                      Get ready to brew more often for friends and family.

----------------------

I did a double brew on friday. Tropical Stout and another Red Ale
                      Harhm
                      Last edited by Harhm; 20 June 2019, 12:06.
                      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Vienna lager with tetnang? Whatever you decide to brew, it will be better than what most people are used to.

My fathers day started out pretty darn good. Brewed a beautiful mandarina / amarillo pils. 0.68 bu:gu, 32.8 ibu, recipe called for OG of 1.047, I reached 1.046 which I'm happy with.
                        4kg pills
                        0.5kg Vienna
                        0.4kg carapils
                        40g mandarina on 30min
                        10g amarillo and 10g mandarina on 5min
                        Wort chilled super fast with the icey groundwater, need to drop one more degree for pitching my 34/70 starter I made earlier. Both chilling in the ferm chamber atm

Kegged my Rye ale (terrapin clone) thereafter and my dear daughter rustled up a great breakfast.

Lunch at my favorite local brewery, aegir project, red rye battered fresh fish and chips under the milkwoods on a crisp sunny Sunday. Life is good!

Anyone else brewing?

Comment

• Well, since the weather turned out ok yesterday, I started brewing that recipe I posted at #1485

Was up 3points pre-boil and up 2 points post boil with an OG of 1.043 ... That Simpsons malts really is top quality compared to the Waltz that always gave me lower readings

Some pics:
                          20190615_122859.jpg 20190615_122908.jpg 20190615_123129.jpg

...and of course you have to sample some homebrew while you brew ...
                          20190615_131348.jpg

PS: I did adjust the bitterness ratio to 0.469
                          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Brewed a brown porter last week, but had to use Galena as the hops, as I had no EKG. The !@#$% fermented so aggressively I had to clean the ceiling... less than 12 hours after the wort went into the fermenter.

Comment

• Alrighty! So I brewed this weekend. Vienna lager, technically, since I ended up with a true lager yeast. Anyhow, lots of room for improvement. One thing I'll note though - I LOVE Vienna malt. That smell of biscuits and nuts is insane! I ended up going with Admiral hops, as I couldn't find a hop flavour profile for Southern Passion and I quite enjoy the citrus in beers. Think it'll go well with the sweeter wort. I'll post more in my brew thread...

Comment

• Did a black IPA with Southern Passion and Cascade last weekend. Did a Belgian Abbey the weekend with Southern Aroma. First time using Southern Aroma in a Belgian beer, hit my highest effeciency with this beer 80%.
                                Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Working...
                                X