X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
    Bloody experimental beers..........
    ? And now? What's wrong with experimental beers?

Comment

• Originally posted by 69degrees View Post
      ? And now? What's wrong with experimental beers?
      you sometimes end up with rubbish in a keg

Comment

• I recently moved into a new place that has a big lemon tree in the yard. Lemons are almost ripe so I’m thinking of doing an American “lemon wheat” beer. My only worry is what sort of hops to go for and how much. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaquesdrum View Post
          I recently moved into a new place that has a big lemon tree in the yard. Lemons are almost ripe so I’m thinking of doing an American “lemon wheat” beer. My only worry is what sort of hops to go for and how much. Any suggestions?
          well I'd use something complementary like a Citra or Cascade

american over-hop so I'd use tons as an aromatic in the whirlpool or secondary

Comment

• Interesting premise. I also have a lemon tree that's starting to go yellow, might just do some sort of brew with all the juice. Never even considered it actually.

Comment

• I’ve been told that fermented lemon juice is not very appetizing in beer so I’m going to make a standard American wheat beer but without the overboard hopping rates that they normal use. Once fermentation is finished I’ll rack the beer over to secondary and let it sit on some pre-boiled lemon zest for a week or so to see how it turns out. Considering Citra, cascade, Sorachi Ace or Mandarina Bavaria for the hops.

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve been told that fermented lemon juice is not very appetizing in beer so I’m going to make a standard American wheat beer but without the overboard hopping rates that they normal use. Once fermentation is finished I’ll rack the beer over to secondary and let it sit on some pre-boiled lemon zest for a week or so to see how it turns out. Considering Citra, cascade, Sorachi Ace or Mandarina Bavaria for the hops.

Comment

• I think I'll look into making this: http://skeeterpee.com/recipe

But just slightly cut back on the sugar.

Comment

• I might give that a try too! Sounds interesting

Comment

• Last night (after quite a few beers) I decided that I will quickly create an Imperial Stout Recipe.

This morning I weighed out my grains and was shocked to realize that the amount of grains that I had decided to use is slowly filling up a 25 liter bucket. I eventually ended up with two buckets, each 3/4 full. My total grain bill is a shocking 21 kg!

Now, add insult to injury... my mashtun cannot handle that amount of grain, so I have to do two mashes just to get the wort for one beer.

I have a suspicion that my calculations will be incorrect and that I will have more wort than needed, so I may have to boil longer to get the desired volume.

Today is going to be a long brewday...

The OG of the beer should be around 1.160. This beer will be bottled and stored for a year or two.

Comment

• I think you cocked that recipe up. You should be closer to 16kgs on a 20L batch. It's still a shitload of barley.

How will you ferment that? What yeast? You'll need about 3 packs of dry yeast or 6 vials of liquid yeast.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                        I think I'll look into making this: http://skeeterpee.com/recipe

Never had good luck with sceeter pee. But maybe it is just me.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post

Never had good luck with sceeter pee. But maybe it is just me.

Comment

I never had good luck with sceeter pee. Maybe it is just me but the sulpher smell just never ends and the taste is not for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                            I think you cocked that recipe up. You should be closer to 16kgs on a 20L batch. It's still a shitload of barley.

How will you ferment that? What yeast? You'll need about 3 packs of dry yeast or 6 vials of liquid yeast.
                            Yeah... screwed it up AND I learnt that my SAB pale malt has a lot less sugars than my previous batch, so my 1.160 became a 1.090.

I used SO4 and London ESB.

Still, a fun day overall and the beer is VERY actively fermenting!

Comment

• 1.090 should end up close to 11%. 1.160 is VERY high gravity, and IMO would risk ending up with a lot of sugars left after the yeast taps out.

Comment

1.090 should end up close to 11%. 1.160 is VERY high gravity, and IMO would risk ending up with a lot of sugars left after the yeast taps out.
                                he is gonna age for 2 years so plenty of time to dry out

Comment

Working...
                                X