This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facepalm 01.jpg

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Alrighty then back to beery issues.

My last cider made from fruitree brand Apple and cranberry juice. Measured 1.013 or something like that out the box. I just ran with it anyway for sh!ts and giggles and ended at about about 1.007. taste is fine but I noticed this in the bottles yesterday...

Screenshot_20190521_174310_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

The sediment is in ball shaped blobs and actually looks a bit 'fluffy' so I am suspecting mould. Anyone had or seen something like this before? I don't even know if mould would form like that underwater, but I suspect the limited alcohol content could make it quite prone?
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Edd The Brew View Post
        How Do AtronSeige ,
        The Racking Gravity is the gravity of the beer when you put it into the container , and the P.G is the Final Gravity of the beer .( Projected Final Gravity @ eg 1.002.75 - 1.003 below Racking Gravity ( Dependant on Yeast Strain , Mash Heats etc ),
        Cheers ,
        Edd
        Thanks. Now it makes a lot more sense!

Most of us use SG as measurement, with OG (gravity prior to pitching) and FG (gravity most fermentation).

Some of us use Plato, but it is quite rare.

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
          The sediment is in ball shaped blobs and actually looks a bit 'fluffy' so I am suspecting mould. Anyone had or seen something like this before? I don't even know if mould would form like that underwater, but I suspect the limited alcohol content could make it quite prone?
          I think mold forms on top of liquid. Not sure.

I think it might be yeast that is clumping/flocculation.

Comment

• Non pastuerized juices could be susceptible to natural fermentation, leave a opened liquifruit out of for a bit and it will start fermenting out. I'm not not au fait with wild yeast, scobies or spontaneous fermentation at all, but am in the milk the funk group and my gut feel would be that it could be a scoby? Or flocculation? Mould is a surface no no, but scobies do their thing submerged, AFAIK.

Punch of salt needed, I know not what I speak of

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Our kiwi friend with the afrikaans name throwing your French terms around.
              It seems like I end up learning something every time you post.
              The more you know!

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk
              jannieverjaar
              Last edited by jannieverjaar; 21 May 2019, 20:53.

Comment

• How Do Lang ,
                It does indeed appear like you`ve got some unwanted beasties living in there; and the low alcohol % ( about .75 - 1.25 % max of the top of my head ) won`t assist in preventing infections from other bacteriforms .
                I hope the next one turns out better , and if you can get hold of Fructose and Glucose over there , I`d suggest popping the O G up to around the 1.027 mark with a blend of both ; you should get a nice low abv one out of it ,

Cheers ,
                Edd

Comment

• How Do Atron ,
                  No probs ,
                  Cheers

Edd

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                    Non pastuerized juices could be susceptible to natural fermentation, leave a opened liquifruit out of for a bit and it will start fermenting out. I'm not not au fait with wild yeast, scobies or spontaneous fermentation at all, but am in the milk the funk group and my gut feel would be that it could be a scoby? Or flocculation? Mould is a surface no no, but scobies do their thing submerged, AFAIK.

Punch of salt needed, I know not what I speak of

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
                    Yihaaa... just made my first Kombucha!!
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• I Haven't Brewed in a couple of months - life been hectic - found some time on Sunday and managed to brew this:

WHHA.jpg

I'm excited just to have something in the fermenter! I'll be making a WIT this upcoming weekend hopefully.

Comment

• Lekker Ray, what's your Wit recipe looking like and what yeast strain are you planning on using? I'm going to be pitching some Witsmith from liquid culture soon but the recipe is more of a wheat beer recipe than a witbier recipe.

- - - Updated - - -

Lekker Ray, what's your Wit recipe looking like and what yeast strain are you planning on using? I'm going to be pitching some Witsmith from liquid culture soon but the recipe is more of a wheat beer recipe than a witbier recipe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray48 View Post
                          I Haven't Brewed in a couple of months - life been hectic - found some time on Sunday and managed to brew this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1933[/ATTACH]

I'm excited just to have something in the fermenter! I'll be making a WIT this upcoming weekend hopefully.
                          East Kent is a beautiful hop and pairs extremely well with Fuggles and First Goldings too. Your brew looks delicious, did you add honey in primary or adding post fermentation?

Comment

• All grain, BIAB, no-chill Belgian Quad 1.100 OG

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk
                            Harhm
                            Last edited by Harhm; 18 April 2020, 06:52.
                            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
                              Lekker Ray, what's your Wit recipe looking like and what yeast strain are you planning on using? I'm going to be pitching some Witsmith from liquid culture soon but the recipe is more of a wheat beer recipe than a witbier recipe.
                              OPH WIT.jpg
                              Recipe says WLP300 - Hefeweizen Ale Yeast - but I'll just go with a normal Safbrew WB-06 as I always use this type of yeast.

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                              East Kent is a beautiful hop and pairs extremely well with Fuggles and First Goldings too. Your brew looks delicious, did you add honey in primary or adding post fermentation?
                              Soooo, I have never put honey into anything.. The recipe says secondary fermentation - But a quick google shows that the real White House Honey Ale recipe added the honey into the boil in the last 5min.. I didn't. But OH well I'll see what happens today is day 4 and the airlock seems to have calmed down - So Im planning on heating the honey bottle with some warm water then add it into the fermenter.

Lets see how it goes

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray48 View Post
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]1937[/ATTACH]
                                Recipe says WLP300 - Hefeweizen Ale Yeast - but I'll just go with a normal Safbrew WB-06 as I always use this type of yeast.

Soooo, I have never put honey into anything.. The recipe says secondary fermentation - But a quick google shows that the real White House Honey Ale recipe added the honey into the boil in the last 5min.. I didn't. But OH well I'll see what happens today is day 4 and the airlock seems to have calmed down - So Im planning on heating the honey bottle with some warm water then add it into the fermenter.

Lets see how it goes
                                I'm sure it will ferment down in secondary, I've also never used adjuncts in any beers, but am willing to try some honey in secondary / post fermentation

Comment

Working...
                                X