This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Gents,

I am busy planning my next two brews and could use some advice. I am planning an Oktoberfest Ale and a Golden Ale.

1: Oktoberfest Ale: I have fallen in love with the Three Stags beer called Old Mule(oktoberfest ale) and would like to attempt to re-create it. "A traditional copper Oktoberfest lager style beer loaded with speciality malts and fermented like an English ale! A medium roasted aroma with a rich malt forward and slightly sweet finish. 5.3% ABV" I assume this is fermented with an Lager/Marsen yeast and very little noble hops to aid to the sweet finish.

I would be surprised if it is fermented with a Lager yeast. I am not too sure where to start with this beer. It is a great beer really worth a try when on tap. I am just struggling to determine what yeast it would use, I generally do not like anything done with a Lager yeast (bit of a broad statement) but most of the recipes I am finding use some type of Lager/Marsen yeast.

2: Golden Ale: I had a "Golden Blonde Ale"(as listed) from De Garve brewery which I really enjoyed. Low bitterness, a bit sweet and an ABV of 4.5%. From what I have been reading that is closer to a Belgian Blonde but I may be incorrect. Slightly more malty and darker than a normal Blonde it seemed. I am kind of leaning to THIS recipe, but I may be way off the mark. Seems

Any advise would be very much appreciated.
    billionairebum
    Last edited by billionairebum; 4 September 2019, 16:39.
    "Well, I suppose if I’m being honest, there were a few times in the past where I admit I did have a drinking problem,

But I can truthfully say that I’ve become more responsible since then,

and today I always make sure that I have enough beer around so that I’ll never have a problem drinking again."

Comment

• Originally posted by billionairebum View Post
      Hello Gents,

I am busy planning my next two brews and could use some advice. I am planning an Oktoberfest Ale and a Golden Ale.

1: Oktoberfest Ale: I have fallen in love with the Three Stags beer called Old Mule(oktoberfest ale) and would like to attempt to re-create it. "A traditional copper Oktoberfest lager style beer loaded with speciality malts and fermented like an English ale! A medium roasted aroma with a rich malt forward and slightly sweet finish. 5.3% ABV" I assume this is fermented with an Lager/Marsen yeast and very little noble hops to aid to the sweet finish.

I would be surprised if it is fermented with a Lager yeast. I am not too sure where to start with this beer. It is a great beer really worth a try when on tap. I am just struggling to determine what yeast it would use, I generally do not like anything done with a Lager yeast (bit of a broad statement) but most of the recipes I am finding use some type of Lager/Marsen yeast.

2: Golden Ale: I had a "Golden Blonde Ale"(as listed) from De Garve brewery which I really enjoyed. Low bitterness, a bit sweet and an ABV of 4.5%. From what I have been reading that is closer to a Belgian Blonde but I may be incorrect. Slightly more malty and darker than a normal Blonde it seemed. I am kind of leaning to THIS recipe, but I may be way off the mark. Seems

Any advise would be very much appreciated.
      The De Garve Blonde is a American style Blonde and the Blonde on Homebrew Talk is a Belgian Blonde (Leffe clone) and are 2 very different styles with very differnet flavour profiles. American - Malty sweet and balanced fruity hops vs Belgian - Malty dry and spicy phenolic yeast driven flavours.
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• My 2c
        I was in the same boat 8months ago. I decided to go with an American blonde. Reason being its fruitiness. I saw groensookasem's recipe and it contained Nelson hops. That hop was in my " have to try" list so it was settled. Never looked back. Brewed another.
        Bjcp 18a.
        I modified his recipe a bit. But my app crashed so I cant share the recipe with you.
        So spook is you can help here I'd love it. Then I can reload it to.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
          My 2c
          I was in the same boat 8months ago. I decided to go with an American blonde. Reason being its fruitiness. I saw groensookasem's recipe and it contained Nelson hops. That hop was in my " have to try" list so it was settled. Never looked back. Brewed another.
          Bjcp 18a.
          I modified his recipe a bit. But my app crashed so I cant share the recipe with you.

I am looking for that fruity slightly sweet flavour. I will look for that recipe thank you.
          "Well, I suppose if I’m being honest, there were a few times in the past where I admit I did have a drinking problem,

But I can truthfully say that I’ve become more responsible since then,

and today I always make sure that I have enough beer around so that I’ll never have a problem drinking again."

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
            My 2c
            Bjcp 18a.

I'll have a looky loo, have it somewhere

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by billionairebum View Post
              I am looking for that fruity slightly sweet flavour. I will look for that recipe thank you.
              A few month back I did a golden ale with Mangrove Jacks M47 yeast. "Yeast is exceptionally fruity with hugely complex esters and is highly flocculant. Suitable for Belgian Pale Ales and Abbey Ales"
              Worked great in a Golden ale and delivers on its promise. The bear was great I will be brewing it again.
              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Who's brewing this weekend? I'm doing a Mittelfruh pils, but am experimenting with kveik David Heath inspired. I do get clean fermentation but have never used it for a lager style, 0.67 bugu and 30 ibu using pils malt, touch of Munich and cara claire to support the green bullet Mittelfruh hop combo. I have had a busy week at work and am looking forward to a relaxing brewday.

Picked up some extra stcs to hook up to the kegerator and do a sous vide ish conversion on a crock pot. Building those tomorrow and possibly kegging a Centennial ale dry hopped with a bit of Simcoe, Centennial and cascade after the brew on Sunday.... Still need to get to distilling too. Happy brewing to those firing up their gear!

Comment

• I tried to brew on Friday. My newly stitched bag failed as I was lifting it out of the kettle. So I gave up and left it all in there until today and now I have a wheat and barley whiskey fermenting in the corner in a plastic drum.

I'll try the hefeweizen again tomorrow.........

Comment

• I made some thing over the weekend. I decided to do a test batch of my cider, so that's what I did. It's slow as all hell, but I think there's fermentation...

Comment

• This is going down later ....
                      (took an online recipe and tweaked it to ingredients I had on hand)

Porter.jpg
                      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Still going with my cider. Also starting the next big batch of mead this weekend. After the first racking when the fermenter is open I'll do another take on my Vienna lager. For now though, just the cider. Slow, but it's going!

Comment

• Kegging the mittelfruh pils on Sunday, skipping the brew this weekend but I have a English summer ale on the list for next brewday, bittering with Fuggles and a large bramling cross aroma burnout, Maris, Cara gold, Vienna, Voss kveik this time around, still need to do a simonaitis, but have Midtbust on order. Nearly kicked the gumballhead and will have to make it again. My Centennial simcoe cascade apa is also on tap. Dropped dry at 1.006, but still good

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                            This is going down later ....
                            (took an online recipe and tweaked it to ingredients I had on hand)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2131[/ATTACH]
                            I'd drop the black malt, needs a lot of dark to Malts to keep it in the background .. I threw mine out.

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                              I'd drop the black malt, needs a lot of dark to Malts to keep it in the background .. I threw mine out. Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
                              That sentence doesn't read as English? LOL Nonetheless thats the last 160g of Black malt I had, I so fari have not had the same problems as you as per your previous statements/posts
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                                That sentence doesn't read as English? LOL Nonetheless thats the last 160g of Black malt I had, I so fari have not had the same problems as you as per your previous statements/posts
                                Touche!

I think the 'adjusted for what I have' recipes can often lead to some good creations.
                                Cheers,
                                Lang
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Working...
                                X