Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you've ever had a headache from wine, you know what the effect is of using chemicals to stop the fermentation.......

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
      If you've ever had a headache from wine, you know what the effect is of using chemicals to stop the fermentation.......
      No way i will get drunk on wine ... thats a female thing isn;t it? LOL
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• I recently had a white that Rory from Aegir made with some assistance from Cape point vineyards, it was damn good wine. Like our craft beer kicks ass, this wine was on another level. Also, as a Capetonian, I do enjoy a decent red and white, but beer tops them all. I find wine blunt and two dimensional, whereas beer is multi faceted, interesting and damn good

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

If you've ever had a headache from wine, you know what the effect is of using chemicals to stop the fermentation.......
          I know you know a lot, but that's not completely true. Some people do have a tendency to be sensitive to sulfites, and that's why it's a legal requirement to state that sulfites are added (again, think Savannah), but both sorbate and sulfites are also naturally produced by yeasts in wines. Besides, there's more to a hangover than just the added chemicals. Often your cheaper drinks are simply badly made - fusels, by-products of the yeasts, etc, and that's often what gives you headaches. As an example, I have a friend who doesn't do wine AT ALL, because headaches. He can drink my mead with no issues - even with a larger than recommended k-meta dose added (I play it on the safe side).

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
            I know you know a lot, but that's not completely true.
            Hey it's my right to be able to over-simplify

Wine drinkers = whining drinkers

Comment

• My last sulphite free wine was dumped in my most recent wash stripping run, thought that it could be the source of headaches for the missus - wine was atrocious/undrinkable. It may be necessary to add these chemicals to a wine or similar ferment, but I dont have knowledge or experience in this area and will rather learn from those that has. :-)

Comment

Hey it's my right to be able to over-simplify

Wine drinkers = whining drinkers
                LOL. Could very well be true, that

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                My last sulphite free wine was dumped in my most recent wash stripping run, thought that it could be the source of headaches for the missus - wine was atrocious/undrinkable. It may be necessary to add these chemicals to a wine or similar ferment, but I dont have knowledge or experience in this area and will rather learn from those that has. :-)
                I think we have a problem with wine (and ciders) as we don't get raw ingredients like with beer. We don't get genuinely raw grape juice, complete with skins and everything, to make wine with. Also, the grapes we get in the stores are table grapes, not wine grapes, so they're really not suitable for making wine with. As a result, we use juice, which is void of a ton of the stuff that makes wine good, like the skins and seeds and all other things that give flavour. We end up making wine (or cider) with store-bought juices that are clarified, modified and processed to look great as a juice, not as a base for making wine, and that's where I think we get our issues. For that reason I'd rather make a wine or cider with a kit, before I ever attempt to make it from store-bought juices again.

Obviously, if you're in an area with a lot of fruit, Cider is still an option, but for us in the 'teng where fruit costs an arm and a leg already, it's just not worth it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                  LOL. Could very well be true, that

I think we have a problem with wine (and ciders) as we don't get raw ingredients like with beer. We don't get genuinely raw grape juice, complete with skins and everything, to make wine with. Also, the grapes we get in the stores are table grapes, not wine grapes, so they're really not suitable for making wine with. As a result, we use juice, which is void of a ton of the stuff that makes wine good, like the skins and seeds and all other things that give flavour. We end up making wine (or cider) with store-bought juices that are clarified, modified and processed to look great as a juice, not as a base for making wine, and that's where I think we get our issues. For that reason I'd rather make a wine or cider with a kit, before I ever attempt to make it from store-bought juices again.

Obviously, if you're in an area with a lot of fruit, Cider is still an option, but for us in the 'teng where fruit costs an arm and a leg already, it's just not worth it.
                  I have a friend in the Swartland area that makes his own wine and supplies grapes in bulk to other concerns, might just visit him for a few kgs. I'm keen to make a grappa for myself and some brandy for the in laws, although I can't stand the stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                    I have a friend in the Swartland area that makes his own wine and supplies grapes in bulk to other concerns, might just visit him for a few kgs. I'm keen to make a grappa for myself and some brandy for the in laws, although I can't stand the stuff.
                    If he makes his own wine, rather ask him for pressed juice, and ask if you can get the pulp that stays behind as well. I think in earlier years, grape juice was frozen in blocks and sold as is actually, for the purpose of making wine at home.

Comment

• Will do, he owns the wine farm :-) Actually made a nice MCC for his daughters wedding too. Yeah, I need the pulp for the grappa iirc

Comment

• there are still a few places that sell frozen must for winemaking, they are just a bit rare.

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                        If he makes his own wine, rather ask him for pressed juice, and ask if you can get the pulp that stays behind as well. I think in earlier years, grape juice was frozen in blocks and sold as is actually, for the purpose of making wine at home.
                        Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
                        Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

• Who's brewing what? I'm doing an ode to South Africa today. Zero SAB hops, Zero SA malts. It's called 'Shithole country'. Inspired by loadshedding, corruption, ineptitude, crime, upcoming vat hike, NHI and all the things we love about living here. Mash steps renamed to corruption and theft.
                          APA with summit, el dorado, enigma, galaxy, citra
                          Bugu 0.67
                          Abv 5%

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
                          groenspookasem
                          Banned
                          Last edited by groenspookasem; 15 February 2020, 15:09.

Comment

• Wow. .
                            Cheers,
                            Lang
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Currently waiting for malt order and hops order to be delivered then the plan is 3 20 liter batches of lager. Pale International Lager, Amber Lager and something else. Any suggestions for a lager that will be drinkable for lovers of Castle light? Piss lager is not an option...
                              Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
                              Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

• I did a castle lite clone for our club clones comp - Happy to share the recipe if that's what you mean...

Comment

Working...
                                X