Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99% of your LHBS will mill your malt. You just have to ask them.

However, I will punt your own mill a hundred times over instead. You can choose your crush size and you can buy bulk and save money. LOTS of money. To give you an idea, I bought pale malt when it was all that was available during lockdown at R30 per kg. I paid R11,90 per kg today. Yes, I did have to buy 20kg bags of it, but still.

Oh, and I'm sure I can get it even cheaper. Just need to get in contact with someone at SAB Maltings directly. Can't seem to find a proper contact person there to place orders with.

Comment

• +1 on your own mill. Also the flexibility to brew what you want, when you want. I keep Pilsner & Vienna at all times and Pale and/or wheat sometimes - as well a selection of speciality malts. I can decide on a day what I want to brew and make up the grist.

@Toxxyc, I can hunt up a contact for SAB Maltings, but unless you regularly travel to Caledon or buy more than a tonne then the shipping/transport kills the discount. The price you got is about the the best deal you'll get - Just under R300/25kg. You also have the choice of getting a more premium base malt from most suppliers at well under the per kg price.

Downside - a mill is going to set you back about R2500 (unless you go a small hand mill) - a lot of brew to make up the difference, I've got there (with over 100 brews) but is was more about flexibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by camsaway View Post
        +1 on your own mill. Also the flexibility to brew what you want, when you want. I keep Pilsner & Vienna at all times and Pale and/or wheat sometimes - as well a selection of speciality malts. I can decide on a day what I want to brew and make up the grist.

@Toxxyc, I can hunt up a contact for SAB Maltings, but unless you regularly travel to Caledon or buy more than a tonne then the shipping/transport kills the discount. The price you got is about the the best deal you'll get - Just under R300/25kg. You also have the choice of getting a more premium base malt from most suppliers at well under the per kg price.

Downside - a mill is going to set you back about R2500 (unless you go a small hand mill) - a lot of brew to make up the difference, I've got there (with over 100 brews) but is was more about flexibility.
        My own mill is definitely on the wishlist, but it will have to wait a bit.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by camsaway View Post
          Would still love a contact, please. They have a "new" malting plant in Alrode, JHB and I want to see what their prices are like. I think they only sell in 20kg bags from there, but if I paid R238 for SAB malt just down the road from them, I want to know what it'll cost to buy from them directly. I'll buy a few hundred kilos if I have to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
            Would still love a contact, please. They have a "new" malting plant in Alrode, JHB and I want to see what their prices are like. I think they only sell in 20kg bags from there, but if I paid R238 for SAB malt just down the road from them, I want to know what it'll cost to buy from them directly. I'll buy a few hundred kilos if I have to.
            That's a nice size to handle. Couple of years back when I started brewing I got malts from Caledon and IIRC it was only 50KG bags available.
            Can't remember the contacts for them tho
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Kegged my sabro apa last night, I recommend not using this hop, it's both delicious and expensive which makes a bad combo, kegging a beer means a brewday is coming up, so experimental pacific crest pilsner or my favorite bitburger? My sugarwash also finished in record time less than two weeks to drop from 1.082 to 1.01, not bad, I'll strip that maybe friday night and do a ginny gin gin run for the missus saturday morning, will see how lus i am - weathers going to be kuk though

Comment

• No power last night, thanks eskom. I stripped the sugarwash today, respectable 2.3l at 93%. That can sit until I feel like finishing it off, distilling is so boring and time consuming.

Decided on that Pacific crest pilsner for tomorrow. I had 6g of green bullet left, a 13g of open packet perle and adding 25g pacific crest to it all on 35m with 25g pacific crest on 5min. sounds good? 4.5kg chateau pils being the entire grainbill. skare as usual, love the stuff. after the boring as hell strip today, i'm looking forward to some actual fun...brewing.

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                  No power last night, thanks eskom. I stripped the sugarwash today, respectable 2.3l at 93%. That can sit until I feel like finishing it off, distilling is so boring and time consuming.

Decided on that Pacific crest pilsner for tomorrow. I had 6g of green bullet left, a 13g of open packet perle and adding 25g pacific crest to it all on 35m with 25g pacific crest on 5min. sounds good? 4.5kg chateau pils being the entire grainbill. skare as usual, love the stuff. after the boring as hell strip today, i'm looking forward to some actual fun...brewing.
                  Sounds good.

Comment

skare as usual, love the stuff.
                    Which other neutral kveik's have you compared it to? I bought some ragnarok and wanted some Oslo but they did not have any at the time. Hoping to get a blonde brew going tomorrow afternoon with the ragnarok if I can rush through some other obligations.

Comment

• Oslo is a mix of a good few kveiks, reminds me of my 34/70 s04 mix. Not as crisp as skare. If you run voss at lower temperatures you'll get a more neutral ale from it, 25c would do it. I like to do that for English styles and generally use stranda for Americans.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Oslo is a mix of a good few kveiks, reminds me of my 34/70 s04 mix. Not as crisp as skare. If you run voss at lower temperatures you'll get a more neutral ale from it, 25c would do it. I like to do that for English styles and generally use stranda for Americans.

I like lagers, irish red ales and irish stouts mostly and I wanted to use the ragnarok for stout type beers and Oslo for the red ales and lagers as those strains are what are easier to get. The plan is to ferment them at the lower end of their temperature range to keep the esters in check. You seem to not like the Oslo much? What is it that put you off?

Comment

• I prefer skare for pseudo pilsners/lagers, it tastes a hit crispier than Oslo which I get a distinct aley taste from. Just preference, nothing wrong with Oslo and you'll make great beer with it. Do try different fermentation temps on both, I dont see myself moving back to other yeast soon.

Comment

I prefer skare for pseudo pilsners/lagers, it tastes a hit crispier than Oslo which I get a distinct aley taste from. Just preference, nothing wrong with Oslo and you'll make great beer with it. Do try different fermentation temps on both, I dont see myself moving back to other yeast soon.

Thanks I'll keep an eye out for skare as well. Seems to fit my preferences better I like a crisp dry finish never been much of a fan of sweet things. If I have skare, Oslo and ragnarok I should be able to make a good mix of beers.

Comment

• I am brewing a Aegir Wee Heavy clone today. Soemeth8ng to help with the winter chills. O.G. of 1.078 and F.G. of 1.017.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
                              Kit: 50L SAB keggle used with BIAB, gas burner

Primary: Sierra Nevada Pale ale clone
                              Secondary: Weiss by Brand Smith
                              Conditioning: none
                              Bottled and Drunk: Wee Heavy, Darth Vader Black IPA, Saison, an much more

Comment

• Originally posted by Wessel Pieterse View Post
                                I am brewing a Aegir Wee Heavy clone today. Soemeth8ng to help with the winter chills. O.G. of 1.078 and F.G. of 1.017.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
                                Nice, I have a Aegir Giant IPA planned soon, but first I'm going to do my first Lager next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X