Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm finally getting around to brew the Pilsener I've been planning, adding some lemons zest.

Trying to decide on the hops to use, don't have, or necessarily want to use Zaas.

I have.

Southern Passion
    Magnum
    Cascade
    Simcoe
    Citra
    African Queen

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
      Hmmmm. When that saaz hop you bought from a new 'upspring' HBS actually smells just like southern promise

Hmmmm, Suspect.... but how do you prove it now ?
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by paul.stevens View Post
        I'm finally getting around to brew the Pilsener I've been planning, adding some lemons zest.

Trying to decide on the hops to use, don't have, or necessarily want to use Zaas.

I have.

Southern Passion
        Magnum
        Cascade
        Simcoe
        Citra
        African Queen

i usually dont want any flavouring to stand out in my Pilsners, so a bittering hop like magnum will do me fine
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by paul.stevens View Post
          I'm finally getting around to brew the Pilsener I've been planning, adding some lemons zest.

I have.

Southern Passion
          Magnum
          Cascade
          Simcoe
          Citra
          African Queen

Bitter with magnum and small burnout 2ith cascade, skip the zest, it's easy to add to a single serving afterwards

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
            Going to attempt a lager with kveik oslo this weekend and bottle the trappist style single, which I had a taste of yesterday, not too bad.
            Didn't get around to brewing, just bottled.. hopefully I can do a sneaky session somewhere before the weekend..

Comment

• Did a simple Blonde Ale over the weekend to fill a 50l keg.

5kg Pilsner Malt
              3.6kg SAB Pale
              500g Cara I
              400g CaraPils

Mashed at 67
              Used whatever hops I had in the freezer - it's month end after all..
              Southern Aroma as bittering hops (60grams) @ 30 mins
              Added a mix of African Queen and some SAB experimental hop @ flameout (also aorund the 60gram mark)

I do no-chill in my fermenter - add the hot wort to my fermenters, place the airlock and put the entire 60 liter fermenter in the swimming pool to cool down, leave it there for a couple of hours and move it to my fermenter fridge - set the fridge to the reqquired temp and leave it overnight. It's not the best method, but I've been lucky with no infections so far.

Pitched my washed Us-05 yeast from the Pale Ale at 7 am yesterday morning and there was airlock activity by 9 am. Happy days!

Next on my list is a Honey Rooibos Lager with Kveik Oslo yeast - going for a one week turnaround here, brew to drink.

Comment

• I didn't brew this weekend, I just enjoyed several versions of the beer I sold. It's amazing to me how the exact same wort with the exact same yeast can produce beers so vastly different. The one I tasted over the weekend that stood out to me was VERY malt-forward. In fact, the taste reminded me of the taste of plain pale ale malt, when you eat it raw (as whole grains). It was very interesting to me. Not bad at all, but very interesting. Mine doesn't taste like that...

Comment

• @Toxxyc - That's where fermentation temperature consistency comes into play...the taste of my beers went from OK to fantastic after I converted from the water heater to a fridge with heat pad.

Comment

• Yep. When I asked him what temp he said "oh I dunno, around 22 or so I guess" and then I knew why. But it's just interesting. VASTLY different just because of a 3 degree difference.

Comment

• I milled some grain and measured some water.. lets see where I can fit it in today..

Comment

• I did my pilsner. I think I may have consumed too much in the process. I forgot to take half my measurements and then also knocked my refractometer onto the tiled floor. Forgot to aerate the wort and it required another pack of lager yeast the next day to get going.

But the good news is I did 2 new things which I lazily have never bothered about and got a far better efficiency and more beer than I can accommodate (and hence a slightly higher ABV pilsner!):
                        1. Actually dug into the mash and squashed dough balls. Never bothered before cos I assumed they would float and never saw any. Was surprised at how many I found by just stirring in an up-and-down circle.
                        2. Actually paid some attention to mill settings for once. I did some mill fraction tests with Bearded Brew Danie some time back and used that info to make changes. Basically I then set to minimum and then 'just open a bit' to experiment.

I think both the above substantially increased my yield more than expected, and I usually get about 16L at 1.050. This time I think I got about 21L at 1.058, with just 100g more in the grain bill. (Is that 50% improvement?) I think a substantial jump in efficiency. Interested to see how that affects the turnout.
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Danie is brilliant. He's the one who came up with the nice recipe in my FWKs, by the way :P

Comment

• Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
                            I milled some grain and measured some water.. lets see where I can fit it in today..
                            Got around to brewing peudo-lager using kveik, started like a steam train at about 27c. will see where it ends up tomorrow and push it a bit higher.

Comment

• Great, I have Kveik Oslo in the fridge, haven't used it before, so any info from you PaBz0r will be great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
                                Great, I have Kveik Oslo in the fridge, haven't used it before, so any info from you PaBz0r will be great.
                                Be careful of the smaller cap inside the bottle.. just before I pitched I gave it a good shake again, once I took off the outside cap it is like it fumed out. Not sure how to avoid it, perhaps opening up the main cap and then holding the inside cap to give that last shake is an option.

Will let you know how it turns out, airlock is still happy (didn't "explode"), perhaps due to the "lower" temp.

Comment

Working...
                                X