This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    Great, I have Kveik Oslo in the fridge, haven't used it before, so any info from you PaBz0r will be great.
    I used oslo on toxyc's Vienna lager. It's awesome! I really enjoy that beer. I actually still need to post a review now that I mention it.

Comment

• Eventually did that double brewday this w/end. It felt like forever to reach boil though, super cold day. I also dont recommend a left hand only brewday, but will be interesting to have some left hand only brews. I'll compare these to beers I made with both hands to see if there's any difference
      ............................. ...............________
      ............................. .......,.-‘”...................``~.,
      .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
      .........................,/...............................................”:,
      .....................,?........................... .. .........................\,
      .................../.................................................. .........,}
      ................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
      .............../.................................................. .,:”........./
      ..............?.....__...................... ...................:`.........../
      ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
      .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
      ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
      ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
      ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../
      ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
      ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
      .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
      ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
      .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
      ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
      ............................. ...`:,,...........................`\.............. __
      ............................. ........`=-,...................,%`>--==``
      ............................. ..........._\..........._,-%.......`\
      ............................. ......,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Comment

• Brewed in August

Cream Ale
        Speciality
        Saison
        White IPA
        Special Bitter
        Blonde

Planned for September

Belgian Pale Ale
        Belgian Wit
        Marzen
        Helles
        Speciality
        Pilsner

I prefer to brew lagers in Spring / Summer.
        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Almost popped a brew can this week. The yeast was quite happy (I pitched a slurry), the temps were perfect and the pressure cap's CO2 escape hole was apparently JUST too small. The drum has a tiny mark on the side where the plastic actually started to tear apart. I'll have to keep a better eye on this stuff in the future.

On a side note, I started a small rum wash just now. Found super cheap molasses, and made a 50/50 mix with brown sugar. 1.3kg sugar, 1.3kg molasses into 10l of boiling water. It's cooling as we speak. Will pitch yeast as soon as it cools down. Distilling is becoming a problem for me, I think...

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
            Brewed in August

Cream Ale
            Speciality
            Saison
            White IPA
            Special Bitter
            Blonde

Planned for September

Belgian Pale Ale
            Belgian Wit
            Marzen
            Helles
            Speciality
            Pilsner

I prefer to brew lagers in Spring / Summer.
            Sho! I wish I planned out that far. I was going to do more SMaSH beers but I've got a variety of base malts in this month's purchase, going to be expanding from my usual 90-90% pale or pilsen grain bill and start adding more Munich, Vienna and the like. Going down a malty-beer route in September

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
              Almost popped a brew can this week. The yeast was quite happy (I pitched a slurry), the temps were perfect and the pressure cap's CO2 escape hole was apparently JUST too small. The drum has a tiny mark on the side where the plastic actually started to tear apart. I'll have to keep a better eye on this stuff in the future.

On a side note, I started a small rum wash just now. Found super cheap molasses, and made a 50/50 mix with brown sugar. 1.3kg sugar, 1.3kg molasses into 10l of boiling water. It's cooling as we speak. Will pitch yeast as soon as it cools down. Distilling is becoming a problem for me, I think...
              I see 'Fresh Distill-kits' in your future

Comment

• Originally posted by backoffmybrew View Post
                i see 'fresh distill-kits' in your future

lol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2596[/ATTACH]

-------------------------
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• I received a new shiny 10" stainless frisbee and went shopping on Friday.. yes that is a kg of mosaic.

False.jpggoodies.jpg

I brewed on both Saturday (English yeast IPA) and Sunday (festbeer lager). Both went terribly with stuck sparges, with Sunday resulting in me unloading the whole mash tun and re-installing my janky stainless braid mesh filter (30cm long), which allowed me to recirculate with no issues.

Only brewed on Sunday to try see if I could improve on Saturday stuck sparge fiasco! Also trying out fermenting in a Cornelius keg with the Lager, so interested to see how it comes out. Pressure fermenting is next.

Comment

• Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
                    I see 'Fresh Distill-kits' in your future
                    Plenty of enquiries, and I'd love to, it's just a mission on my equipment to make consistent high-gravity washes like those though, specially if people insist on all-grain. One guy wants 40l of wort at 16% ABV potential, and that means I'll have to give him wort at 1.13-ish to make him happy. That means a CRAPLOAD of malt, and a big process and I just can't justify it yet. It'll take a whole Saturday to boil off the required volumes and all that, and I just can't get it over my heart to tell him it'll be half a bag of malt and a whole day's work for me, so R1,500 for such a can. I'll do it, but still, it's a big thing.

Comment

• Sound like to much work
                      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                        Sound like to much work
                        Which is why I pushed up the price quite a bit. I don't mind doing it, but I don't want to spend a whole day getting a few hundred bucks for a lot of work. I recommended he start with rum first. Sugar washes are waaaay easier.

Comment

• Honestly the effort to make one or two cubes of wort vs the potential profit is just not worth it, it's only worth it if you can make *and* sell at a scale of 15+ per week.

Spending an entire Saturday producing two cubes of wort and earning a few hundred bucks is a pain compared to spending a day making and packaging a thousand litres and selling it over the span of a week or two.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                            Plenty of enquiries, and I'd love to, it's just a mission on my equipment to make consistent high-gravity washes like those though, specially if people insist on all-grain. One guy wants 40l of wort at 16% ABV potential, and that means I'll have to give him wort at 1.13-ish to make him happy. That means a CRAPLOAD of malt, and a big process and I just can't justify it yet. It'll take a whole Saturday to boil off the required volumes and all that, and I just can't get it over my heart to tell him it'll be half a bag of malt and a whole day's work for me, so R1,500 for such a can. I'll do it, but still, it's a big thing.
                            R1500 for 40l or 20l ? Hope 20l, and that's way too cheap. You get 4.5l of raw grape juice from a well known distilling boutique for R420 (with some odds and ends) but that's raw juice, not wort.

You'd be running at a loss at those prices. Your time, effort, electricity and knowledge isn't worth R1500 for a day, even half a days work, never-mind the grains.... f%%k that with interest. You could punt it with dextrose or dme, but you'll taste it in the end product.

Comment

• True, that's why I told the guy to rather make a sugar wash.

Comment

• First batch of extract IPA bottled on Monday and did an "All-Grain Brew" IPA yesterday now in the fermentor.

Comment

Working...
                                X