Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My still is fine. I've looked for leaks and I have none. Also, I still slow enough that my distillate dripping out is ice cold (water actually condenses on the tubes, so that's cool). I think I'll have to do a reiterated mash then as you say. 3.5kg of malt for a 20l batch in my system is the best (93% efficiency when making beer with that), so I think I'll just do that. I've seen now that throwing malt at the problem won't make it go away. It'll just flood your kettle and leave you with a massive grain bag in the end with a low OG.

Also, next question. I didn't boil my wort post-mash for distilling. I just poured it into the cube (unsanitized cube) and figured I'll pitch the yeast this morning (this was done yesterday afternoon). So this morning I check the cube and it's swollen. Take off the cap and yes, it seems to have soured. First I thought "well, shit, all that trouble for nothing" but then I figured "screw it" and pitched yeast anyway.

So now it's fermenting quite well, and the smell is...interesting. It smells VERY sweet, and fruity. The bubbles on the inside is big and looks like a light pellicle is forming on the bubbles, making me think it might be a lacto infection. I read up about them and the general consensus seems to be same as with beer - if is smell fine, keep at it. So I'm keeping at it. It's fermenting as we speak and the smell is actually becoming quite nice. I like it. Quite a lot. Anything to note on this?

Comment

• check out "milk the funk" mainly aimed at beer, but you'll get the idea. the wiki is useful. we had some export wild fermented red wine - delicious, although the grapes provided the wild yeast. i'm not au-fait with "random" fermentation but it's something that can be explored, i'll watch from the sidelines.

Comment

• Can you imagine? You get your "beer" infected and it ends up being lacto or brett and improving it? Id keep a sample and test it on a real beer if it does turn out to be a "good" infection.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Is the Distilling thread broken ?

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Based on the breath of discussion and the length of post, they need a new section so they can split. Otherwise its just to bulky to read

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
              Is the Distilling thread broken ?

I searched for it. I can't find it. I've asked Simon to create a new Distilling section though, because it does break up the beer discussions and while I love a good derail, it's not nice here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                I searched for it. I can't find it. I've asked Simon to create a new Distilling section though, because it does break up the beer discussions and while I love a good derail, it's not nice here.
                Can't you continue here > https://www.wortsandall.co.za/showth...6-Distillation
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                  Thanks. I searched for that for quite a while.

Comment

• My Light Lager has been fermenting at 13C for two weeks now. Pulled it out of the freezer for a 2 day rest at room temp while the freezer drops to 4 deg for the cold crash and lagering.
                    First time doing a proper Lager, keen to see how it turns out in about 2 months

Pitched US-05 yesterday in an APA, dry hopping with 100g Citra, also my first dry hop.

Expanding the norm, for me

Comment

• Very easy to get a high gravity wort.

Start with a high SG and then boil the crap out of it. If it works for the belgians, it'll work for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
                        My Light Lager has been fermenting at 13C for two weeks now. Pulled it out of the freezer for a 2 day rest at room temp while the freezer drops to 4 deg for the cold crash and lagering.
                        First time doing a proper Lager, keen to see how it turns out in about 2 months

Pitched US-05 yesterday in an APA, dry hopping with 100g Citra, also my first dry hop.

Expanding the norm, for me
                        Sounds nice! Haven't attempted a propper lager yet. The APA sounds awesome, citra is one of my tot 2 hops. Good timing on the brews two so you wont end up finishing the lager before its ready

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                          Sounds nice! Haven't attempted a propper lager yet. The APA sounds awesome, citra is one of my tot 2 hops. Good timing on the brews two so you wont end up finishing the lager before its ready

Indeed, I'll likely be brewing again this weekend, probably another blonde ale or something easy drinking to keep me going for the next two months, I have more US-05 in the fridge that is getting hungry

Comment

• I brewed the Mad Giant Killer Hop over the weekend, and dry hopped with the 2g/l as recommended (african queen and southern passion), but I have a feeling it's not enough, 100grams in 50 liters of beer, just doesn't cut it, I think I will add another 100grams of Southern passion tonight...

Comment

• Now you're talking! Cant be called killer hop with 2g/l. Maybe if you use the citras of the world but with SA hops i like adding a bit more just in case

Comment

• I'm keen to see how 100g in 20lt comes out

Comment

Working...
                                X