Page 2 of 154 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

I've currently got a Traditional Bock which has been bottled and should be ready to drink on 11 Feb. I've also got a Southern Brown Ale in the fermenter which is actually looking really good and is almost ready to go into bottles. As I'v mentioned in another thread I am itching to put some vanilla in there before bottling to see how it goes. Hopefully it doesn't land me up in "the worst beer you've made" thread. But only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    If my last bottle of Wee Heavy is left, next time you are around, you can have a taste
    cool, i just used wee heavy as an example. didn't know you actually had some.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    This is one reason why I like small batch brewing - I can experiment loads, and i only have 4-5 litres or so of beer to deal with if I dont particularly like the style. Then when I have a recipe I have enjoyed, it gets scaled up
    i tried that once or twice but i found it quite difficult to keep it small. somehow they always ended up being bigger than i'd planned

Quote Originally Posted by Matt54 View Post
    As I'v mentioned in another thread I am itching to put some vanilla in there before bottling to see how it goes. Hopefully it doesn't land me up in "the worst beer you've made" thread. But only time will tell.
    or it may well end up in the "greatest beer you've made" thread (although i don't know if said thread exists, yet)

I made a Brown this weekend and a summer ale on Tuesday.

Halfway through the mash I realised that I grabbed the regular pale malt instead of the Maris Otter I trekked all the way from CT. Oh well, there is always next time.

@Al: I found moving to small batches easy. I just had to dial in the efficiency and boil-off and it was fine from there on.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcur View Post
    Halfway through the mash I realised that I grabbed the regular pale malt instead of the Maris Otter I trekked all the way from CT. Oh well, there is always next time.
    what a pity. there's nothing quite like marris otter, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcur View Post
    @Al: I found moving to small batches easy. I just had to dial in the efficiency and boil-off and it was fine from there on.
    thanks, mate. i specifically bought a small 10l fermenter but kept making way too much wort. eventually i figured "screw it" and went back to 20l.

The time commitment is roughly the same for 5L as for 20L. If you have demand, then 20L is better.

The logistics are much easier with 4-5L batches and I'm brewing much more now. I don't get through 18L easier, so it is a much better batch size for me.

On Sunday we minikegged and bottled a dark wheat. A friend of mine got it into her head that she wants to brew her own beer from now on and that's just what I needed as I hadn't brewed in a loong time.

I did a sort of partial mash using a Coopers kit, DME and choc malt, but without a proper mash. Here's hoping it turns out nice.

Quote Originally Posted by that guy al View Post
    nice one! i'm super jealous. i tried brewing that same recipe once upon a time but i got so sidetracked with ingredients it ended up being something completely different.

post some pics if you can.
    No pics of the beers yet, brewing tomorrow, but I did get the new fermenter, and built a stand for it (didn't trust plywood with 45kg of beer on top of it):

So 220g of hops equals a crapton of trub:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422778439.118556.jpg

Will filter next time

Quote Originally Posted by MongooseMan View Post
    So 220g of hops equals a crapton of trub:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422778439.118556.jpg

Will filter next time
    very. frikken. awesome.