X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NickR View Post
    I got some from Brewmart a while back:

http://brewmart.co.za/index.php?rout...product_id=483
    Thanks will check them out. Get some of my friends from PTS ro bring them down.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Kit: 50L SAB keggle used with BIAB, gas burner

Primary: Sierra Nevada Pale ale clone
    Secondary: Weiss by Brand Smith
    Conditioning: none
    Bottled and Drunk: Wee Heavy, Darth Vader Black IPA, Saison, an much more

Comment

• Brewed an English pale ale last night and decided to put some of it in 2 liter mason jars to ferment.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
      Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
      Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

• Originally posted by Andreas View Post

Brewed an English pale ale last night and decided to put some of it in 2 liter mason jars to ferment.

Remember ro cover the bottles with a t-shirt or something, otherwise you are just brewing skunk juice.

I assume the lids are loose.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
          Remember ro cover the bottles with a t-shirt or something, otherwise you are just brewing skunk juice.

I assume the lids are loose.

They are loose yes, after the exploding ale incident (8 of those fermenters popped off one after the other at 3 am, while there were roits in town, my wife still isn't completely happy about it) I learned my lesson. Thanks, I forgot to cover them!

Comment

They are loose yes, after the exploding ale incident (8 of those fermenters popped off one after the other at 3 am, while there were roits in town, my wife still isn't completely happy about it) I learned my lesson.
            That is one funny story!!! [emoji13]

Comment

That is one funny story!!! [emoji13]

Now yes. Then I was in the dog box for a week!

Comment

• Today I brewed Daddy Juice number 5. Hopefully this one is better.

Comment

Today I brewed Daddy Juice number 5. Hopefully this one is better.

What would that be?

Comment

What would that be?

Supposed to be an APA with mostly SA ingredients.

I have been rebrewing it a few times. I want it to be my house beer.

I lowered the ABV, added some more specialty malt and reduced the flavor hops.

Comment

Supposed to be an APA with mostly SA ingredients.

I have been rebrewing it a few times. I want it to be my house beer.

I lowered the ABV, added some more specialty malt and reduced the flavor hops.

Sounds good!

Comment

• i had some bits n pieces laying about so i boiled it all up yesterday and dumped it onto a yeast cake from a batch i'd bottled on saturday night. it's probably gonna turn out awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                          Nope, apparently it's safe and will drop out during fermentation
                          Ok so this actually did not happen. When Primary fermentation was done I crashed to 2C. Syphoned to a secondary to lager and after a week at 2C it is still seriously milky. I'll do a taste test and fine with gelatin. This either needs to be dumped or bottled asap.
                          Primary: APA
                          Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
                          Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
                          Next up: world domination

Comment

• Originally posted by DieBaas View Post
                            Ok so this actually did not happen. When Primary fermentation was done I crashed to 2C. Syphoned to a secondary to lager and after a week at 2C it is still seriously milky. I'll do a taste test and fine with gelatin. This either needs to be dumped or bottled asap.
                            how does it smell?

Comment

• Originally posted by that guy al View Post
                              how does it smell?
                              Smells fine. Like beer.
                              Primary: APA
                              Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
                              Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
                              Next up: world domination

Comment

• My first homebrew........disaster.

So this weekend it was time for my second ever brew, I still had the robbers gold golden ale kit that came with my fermenter starter pack so I decided to make use of it. I bought some wheat and some carapilz and decided to do my first partial mash.

Heated water to 65 degrees and added the bag with the grain, here was my first surprise, I thought the water would cool down when the grain got added, instead the grain absorbed water, decreased the volume and causing it to instantly start boiling! I took the bag out quickly and added some still warm pre boiled water and managed to get the mash to settle at 64 degrees for about 45 min, at this point I was happy and confident that all is going well, so I took a sip of beer.

After the mash stepped and the flat had a nice smell I took the bag out, let it drip dry over the pot and poured more boiling water over it to rinse it out and then brought the wort to boil. Once it boiled I dissolved the 3kg of malt extract and brought it back to boil. After some time the heatbreak occured and the wort was boiling nicely, all was well.

After an hour I cold crashed the pot of wort in a shallow ice bath and added cold water from the fridge to the fermenter.
                                Now is where things get interesting, when I wanted to pour the cooled wort into the fermenter I realised to my shock and horror that it turned back into the thick syrup consistency of the malt extract, it basically solidified and I could not pour it into the fermenter and also didn’t want to. So I boiled more water and dissolved the wort extract again and then added it to the fermenter, topped up to 25 litre and airrated the wort well.

I am guessing that I must have had a to low boil volume and boiling the wort evaporated to much water to cause the wort to revert to extract, I am guessing a bigger boil volume will help with that, noted for next time.

So now I finally had the wort in the fermenter.....in liquid form and it was at 18 degrees, I wanted to ferment the ale at 19 degrees so thought wow perfect temp I can just pitch the yeast. I rehydrated the yeast and pitched it on Saturday evening.

Sunday morning no fermentation....getting a bit nervous
                                Sunday night still no fermentation.....getting really really nervous
                                Monday morning STILL no fermentation....W.T.F now!!!
                                So I took another pack of yeast from the fridge and let it warm to room temp and then sprinkled the entire packet into the fermenter. I didn’t rehydrate the yeast cos I didn’t have time this morning and I was worried about contamination, so I wanted to minimise the time the fermenter is open. Contamination is also the reason why I didn’t re-airrate the wort.

Now I am sitting at work stressing balls cos I don’t know if it will be fermenting when I get home and if it doesn’t then what I do!! I have no more yeast and ordering it will take a day or more and have no time to fetch it!!!!!
                                I even thought about buying 10 craft beers and pouring the last centimetre of it containing the sediment into the fermenter in the hop to get enough yeast in......but I can’t drink that much beer on a week day.

Comment

Working...
                                X