X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    Hi Everyone.

Im new here and new to brewing in general.
    Ive brewed 3 batches of cans. The irish stout was the worst. Waiting for bottel conditioning of my golden ale ( finned with gelatin, but not clear at all, hope it clears when chilling). I didnt have enough carb drops so i used brown sugar on some, layed them on the side coz thats where it settled, big mistake! As it carbed up it ejected some beer, half of it in some bottels!
    One more thing about this beer, when i opened the kit i didnt find any yeast, made a plan (anchor). Bubbled fine, probably not going to be a great example of a golden ale, but brewing from a can wouldn't have been anyway.

Decided to do a ginger beer for the weekend. Worked great! Man that was exactly what i remembered it tasted like growing up!

Anyway looking forward to learn a few things chatting to everyone on here.

Cheers
    Jannieverjaarkoeldrank

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Welcome to the forum, keep at it and you will be doing all grain brewing in no time. Master the basics, practice the techniques, clean and sanitise and youll be fine. Most of all have fun

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk
    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Welcome

I was never a fan of those "Black Rock" pre-hopped kits .... The Coopers kits are way better with the Coopers Irish Stout being one of my favourites.

Re the gelatin, yeah, the beer must be fairly cold for that to do its thing ... best to cold crash the beer in the fermenter if you can and then add the gelatin .... Im not a fan of gelatin in the bottles ... the beer will clear over time in any event in those bottles.

Using table sugar (white or brown) is also perfectly fine for priming IMO ... I've done it for years before moving onto kegging.

.... so pull up a chair and enjoy a cold one
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Decided to do a ginger beer for the weekend. Worked great! Man that was exactly what i remembered it tasted like growing up!

welcometotheforums.

how did you make the ginger beer?

Comment

• Originally posted by that guy al View Post
          welcometotheforums.

how did you make the ginger beer?
          Thanks guy!

Its so dead simple.
          Ill attach the picture from my grandma's kookbook, its
          10 x 750ml water
          6 cups of brown sugar
          2 tablespoons ginger
          1 packet/ 4 teaspoons of cream of tartar
          2 teaspoons tartaric acid
          1/2 a cup of sourdough (i used 2x anchor yeast packets)
          1 tablespoon of lemon essence (i left this out as well)
          Leave for 24 hours strain through cloth chill and serve within 10 days.
          (My mom told me she crunches 10 raisins throws them in and when they raise its ready to strain)

Enjoy!

Comment

• Daddy juice is all over the place! [emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
              Daddy juice is all over the place! [emoji28]
              oh there are so many things i could say..

Comment

• Originally posted by that guy al View Post
                oh there are so many things i could say.. [emoji38]
                What could that possibly be? [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

• We fermenting sperm now?
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• The same golden ale i showed you a week ago. This is why the say bottle condition for at least 2 weeks. Im not sure what it should taste like but it is a good thirst quencher!

Cheers
                    Jannieverjaarkoeldrank

Comment

The same golden ale i showed you a week ago. This is why the say bottle condition for at least 2 weeks. Im not sure what it should taste like but it is a good thirst quencher!

Cheers
                      Jannieverjaarkoeldrank

Well done, its starting to clear nicely, seem to hold its head well. The clarity will get even better, stick them in the fridge for 2 or 3 weeks, if they make it to new years you will have great looking beer
                      Harhm
                      Last edited by Harhm; 11 December 2017, 21:38.
                      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Im done brewing for 2017.
                        Just carbonated a Dry Stout, a Brown Ale and a dryhopped Lager.
                        I also bottled a Porter , Mild and a Blonde for the festive season.

Comment

• Man, what a lineup! Id have trouble choosing what to drink and when.

Enjoy

Comment

• Brewed AtronSeige's acclaimed well scored English barley wine thingy last Saturday (9th Dec).

Wanted to do a party gyle as well but ran out of time because of the drunken buggers that led me astray and also because I managed to stuff up my right knee while doing an impromptu split while carrying 2 x 25L full fermenters............

Crocs and spilled wort on a painted floor don't go well together.

Note to self: go buy those non-slip waterproof safety boots........

Will check the gravity sometime this week.

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                              Will check the gravity sometime this week.
                              By the sounds of things you confirmed gravity already!

Hope the knee gets better soon.

Comment

• I am kegging Daddy Juice and an Pilsner extract kit later this week.

I am planning on using the yeast from the pilsner for a bock or doppelbock, but I have never tried that before, so I have some reading to do!

Comment

Working...
                                X