No announcement yet.

Local hop profiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How/where does one get the updated list? .... might look into this in the new year.
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

You just mail SAB hop farms. Email adress is on worthogs suppliers list http://www.worthogbrewers.co.za/reso...iers_list.html . They are very helpful. Only thing I'm not sure about is courier cost.
      Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
      Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
        How/where does one get the updated list? .... might look into this in the new year.
        Newest info received from Magda Rossouw
        magda.rossouw@za.ab-inbev.com
        044 802 8424
        Prices R181/kg (exp and other var's) - R207/kg (Afr Queen, S Aroma & S Passion)
        Variety analyses.pdfOil Analysis 2018.pdf

Comment

Mailed SA hop farms in June. Got the following info from them.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Our procedure is as follow:

1. You let us know how much of which variety you would like.
          Just to clarify any misunderstandings and to give you a holistic picture of our products.

We produce two kinds of pellets, namely T90 and PIH.
          The Type 90 pellet is made from dried hop cone powder simply put through a die to produce pellets.
          It is called "Type 90" because there is about 10% waste in the production process, from dried hops to pellets.

We produce single variety T 90 pellets e.g. S, Star; S, Promise, J17, S. Passion. S Aroma etc. as well as a blended T 90 pellet (S. Star, S, Prom, S. Dawn) – see make up below. (30-40% utilization)

Hop.jpg
          [IMG]file:///C:\Users\PTMUser\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\0 1\clip_image001.jpg[/IMG]

Then we also make a PIH blend (S. Star, S, Prom, S. Dawn) where the pellets are pre isomerised (alpha acids converted to iso alpha acids by exposure to heat.)
          Utilization is typically 45-55%. This is the only difference. There are no single varieties in PIH form.

2. We will then send you a Pro-Forma Invoice

3. Once you have paid the hops you send us a proof of payment

4. We invoice and send hops of via courier we will give you full details of carton size to arrange your courier, please supply us with your full street address and contact number

Feel free to contact me if you require any further information.

Courier companies that run from George
          Skynet George = Chantill Wonderlik = chantillw@skynet.co.za = 044 874 2215
          DSV = Theodore Windvogel = customerservice@za.go2uti.com = 044 878 1131
          Courier Guy = 0861 203 203 = jhb@thecourierguy.co.za = 044 873 0131
          Globeflight = Gert van Schalkwyk = gert@gelgroup.co.za = 044 874 0286

Our packaging is 500g, 1kg and 20kg

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\PTMUser\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\0 1\clip_image002.jpg[/IMG]

Kind Regards
          Magda Rossouw
          Hopfarms
          Tel: +27 44 802 8424 Fax: +27 44 870 7550
          Email: Magda.Rossouw@za.sabmiller.com, Magda.Rossouw@za.ab-inbev.com

PRICE LIST

CROP 18 PRICE LIST @kg 01/04/2018 — 31/03/2019
          SABHF Flavour hops %AA HPLC VAT INCLUSIVE
          Southern Aroma 4.5-5.5 R 197.80
          Southern Passion 8-10 R 197.80
          African Queen (J17) 10-11 R 197.80
          SABHF Bittering hops
          XJA/436 10.5-11.5 R 180.55
          Southern Star 11.5 – 13.5 R 180.55
          U1/108 12 - 12.6 R 180.55
          95U1/132 12.-12.6 R 180.55
          SABHF Dual purpose hops
          Southern Promise 9 - 10 R 180.55
          Southern Dawn 9 - 11 R 180.55
          N1/69 9 - 10 R 180.55
          SABHF Blend
          T 90 Blend 11 - 13 R 131.10
          PIH Blend 10 -12.5 R 131.10
          Cones Green Dry
          Premiun 114.00 182.40
          Standard 91.20 136.80

Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by Muller Oosthuizen View Post
            Newest info received from Magda Rossouw
            magda.rossouw@za.ab-inbev.com
            044 802 8424
            Prices R181/kg (exp and other var's) - R207/kg (Afr Queen, S Aroma & S Passion)
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]1679[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1680[/ATTACH]
            Thanks Muller Oosthuizen & Welcome to the forum

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
              Mailed SA hop farms in June. Got the following info from them.

<snip>

CROP 18 PRICE LIST @kg 01/04/2018 — 31/03/2019
              SABHF Flavour hops %AA HPLC VAT INCLUSIVE
              Southern Aroma 4.5-5.5 R 197.80
              Southern Passion 8-10 R 197.80
              African Queen (J17) 10-11 R 197.80
              SABHF Bittering hops
              XJA/436 10.5-11.5 R 180.55
              Southern Star 11.5 – 13.5 R 180.55
              U1/108 12 - 12.6 R 180.55
              95U1/132 12.-12.6 R 180.55
              SABHF Dual purpose hops
              Southern Promise 9 - 10 R 180.55
              Southern Dawn 9 - 11 R 180.55
              N1/69 9 - 10 R 180.55
              SABHF Blend
              T 90 Blend 11 - 13 R 131.10
              PIH Blend 10 -12.5 R 131.10
              Cones Green Dry
              Premiun 114.00 182.40
              Standard 91.20 136.80

Nice info, thanks for sharing

Comment

Thanks for sharing again. Been looking for this actually.

Comment

While those prices look good, to my mind there are limitations to using ZA hops cultivars.

For instance, there are many cases where doing 60 minute boils can leave you with grassy and even vegetal flavours and aromas.

Therefore you need to add bittering hops no earlier than 40 minutes, which means your hops volumes increase.

Comment

Hmm, have not yet tasted the vegetal flavours that people write about. I do no-chill, so my bittering additions are never in the boil for longer than 40m. The XJA variety has very high bittering properties and at the price compared with imported hops I don't mind adding a bit more.

In a thread on this forum (I'll post if I can locate it), someone said that he was told be SAB hop farms that the hops are already isomerised, which would mean that you wouldn't need to boil the hops long at all to get the bittering out. Does anyone know if this claim is accurate?

Comment

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
                      Hmm, have not yet tasted the vegetal flavours that people write about. I do no-chill, so my bittering additions are never in the boil for longer than 40m. The XJA variety has very high bittering properties and at the price compared with imported hops I don't mind adding a bit more.

In a thread on this forum (I'll post if I can locate it), someone said that he was told be SAB hop farms that the hops are already isomerised, which would mean that you wouldn't need to boil the hops long at all to get the bittering out. Does anyone know if this claim is accurate?
                      From SA hop farms.

We produce two kinds of pellets, namely T90 and PIH.
                      The Type 90 pellet is made from dried hop cone powder simply put through a die to produce pellets.
                      It is called "Type 90" because there is about 10% waste in the production process, from dried hops to pellets.
                      We produce single variety T 90 pellets e.g. S, Star; S, Promise, J17, S. Passion. S Aroma etc. as well as a blended T 90 pellet (S. Star, S, Prom, S. Dawn) (30-40% utilization)

Then we also make a PIH blend (S. Star, S, Prom, S. Dawn) where the pellets are pre isomerised (alpha acids converted to iso alpha acids by exposure to heat.)
                      Utilization is typically 45-55%. This is the only difference. There are no single varieties in PIH form.
                      Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Thanks for clearing this up for me Beerholic!

Comment

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post

+1 with a max 45min hop boil for no-chill I also am lucky to not have picked up any veg flavours

Comment

Working...
                          X