Fermenting temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fermenting temp

Grab a glass of Chardonnay. Take a deep whiff.

That's diacetyl

If you pick it up in any lager it's a flaw. Happened to me with a Pilsner.
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

When I did my Honours in Wine Biotech, one of the parts of the course was wine tasting. We got given several bottles of wine to taste which were intentionally made to have off-flavors. One of those was diacetyl. Diacetyl is what gives butter it's unique flavor. The only way I can explain it is that it smells like butter that has melted in the sun. It is an intense rancid butter smell. I have luckily only had one experience with diacetyl in beer. It was a local microbrewery that had a bad batch of stout. It had an INTENSE butterscotch (like the sweets you get at restaurants when paying the bill) and butter flavor. You will know when you taste it

I think Grolsch promotes a slight diacetyl taste in their beer to give it an interesting and unique flavor profile. In large quantities, however, it can ruin a potentially good beer.

Comment

I do something similar in ales (raise temp a few degrees at the end of fermentation). Towards the end of fermentation, yeast can often be a little tires and sluggish. Raising the temp increases yeast activity slightly, helping them finish up when they are meant to do. Part of this is cleaning up chemicals such as diacetyl but it also helps the yeast attenuate fully. Generally, pretty good practice on all beers :-)

Diacetyl tastes like the fake butter flavour they use on popcorn.

Comment

Ok... this thread has lagered long enough, let's wake it up again...

Back to fermenting temperatures.

When you guys change temps, ie up for diacetyl rest and then back down for lager or cold crash....

At what rate do you change the temp?
          Do you just dial the temp controller to the desired temp and walk away?
          Or do you change the temp gradually? if so at how many degrees / day?

Comment

My general rule of thumb is 1 degree a day, except for cold crash, where I crash it down quicker (set temp and leave).

Comment

Diacetyl Rest, Ramp Up, Cold Crash, Ramp Down, for the rest 0.5 degree per 12 hours.
              Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Set & forget
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Again, I am using a simple technique: for D-rest, take beer from fridge or bathtub and leave it for 24 hours.

Cold crash: Put beer in fridge and set fridge to 1C. Return a few days later when beer has cooled and bottle/keg.

Comment

I'm also a set and forget guy when using simple yeast strains. Take US-05 for example, after chilling put fermenter in fridge set at 16C, when it reaches that temp (shouldn't take long 3-4 hours) pitch yeast and raise to 17C, leave it there until there is minimal airlock activity. Then set temp to 19C for 3 days for D rest. Then cold crash as cold as it can go. after 3-4 days or when I have time bottle or keg.

The difference comes in with belgian strains. There I would start at 17C and raise the temp 0.5-1C every day until I'm at 21-22C all depending on the ester profile I want. Then cold crash when the the fermentation is done
                    Primary: APA
                    Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
                    Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
                    Next up: world domination

Comment

Working...
                    X