Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DR_Beer View Post
    Awesome thanks guys,

I mashed at 67 degrees and used S-04 yeast, but I think I will just keep the beer as it is and see
    The last beer that I brewed (LAAPA) came in on 1.039 OG and FG of 1.012 also mashed at 67c with S-04, which puts it at 3.5% abv. Only bottled on Wednesday, so still waiting to try, but the samples indicate good taste.

Comment

• Originally posted by PearlJam View Post
      The last beer that I brewed (LAAPA) came in on 1.039 OG and FG of 1.012 also mashed at 67c with S-04, which puts it at 3.5% abv. Only bottled on Wednesday, so still waiting to try, but the samples indicate good taste.
      You can add ±0.5% when you bottle condition
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Does water chemistry affect attenuation?
        2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
          Does water chemistry affect attenuation?
          in what way would it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
            Does water chemistry affect attenuation?
            If your water doesn't have the necessary minerals, then yes, it could affect your yeast.

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
              If your water doesn't have the necessary minerals, then yes, it could affect your yeast.
              And the pH (a result of water chemistry) will also effect enzyme efficiancy and conversion during the mash.

The reason I ask is that I took FG readings of 2 beers (I brewed them the same way except for the water that is different) there is a big difference in the attenuation.

Ill have a look at all the numbers today when I have all the info at hand. Maybe I just skrewed things up somewhere else along the line.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
              Harhm
              Last edited by Harhm; 14 November 2017, 10:07. Reason: http://www.wortsandall.co.za/showthread.php?1602-Confused-about-how-this-went-wrong&p=11770
              2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• I posted the info and same question here.

Comment

• When using a refractometer to measure OG and FG, which calculator/table would you guys recommend to calculate ABV? Brewers' Friend, Northern Brewer, Sean Terrill, ABV Apps - all seem to give you different answers for the same data. I brewed a Porter with an OG of 12.9 Brix and a FG of 5.8 Brix. I would expect to get a ABV of around 5-5.5%

Sent from my Vodacom Power Tab 10 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by AbriDS View Post
                    When using a refractometer to measure OG and FG, which calculator/table would you guys recommend to calculate ABV? Brewers' Friend, Northern Brewer, Sean Terrill, ABV Apps - all seem to give you different answers for the same data. I brewed a Porter with an OG of 12.9 Brix and a FG of 5.8 Brix. I would expect to get a ABV of around 5-5.5%
                    A refractometer struggles to read the correct FG:

Refractometers and Alcohol:
                    In the presence of alcohol, refractometer measurements get even more complicated. Alcohol throws off the refraction even more. The good news is, it can be corrected for if the OG is known. Sean Terrill posted research on the subject and arrived at the following equation which we have taken to be the most accurate:
                    FG = 1.0000 – 0.0044993*RIi + 0.011774*RIf + 0.00027581*RIi² – 0.0012717*RIf² – 0.0000072800*RIi³ + 0.000063293*RIf³
                    http://seanterrill.com/2011/04/07/re...er-fg-results/

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                      A refractometer struggles to read the correct FG:

Refractometers and Alcohol:
                      In the presence of alcohol, refractometer measurements get even more complicated. Alcohol throws off the refraction even more. The good news is, it can be corrected for if the OG is known. Sean Terrill posted research on the subject and arrived at the following equation which we have taken to be the most accurate:
                      FG = 1.0000 – 0.0044993*RIi + 0.011774*RIf + 0.00027581*RIi² – 0.0012717*RIf² – 0.0000072800*RIi³ + 0.000063293*RIf³
                      http://seanterrill.com/2011/04/07/re...er-fg-results/
                      Thanks! His calculator is one of the ones I used. Gives me 5.1% ABV, which is what I would expect

Sent from my Vodacom Power Tab 10 using Tapatalk

Comment

• So I've got 1 CO2 bottle(2kg), 1 regulator and 3 taps. and plenty kegs. This is an obvious problem.
                        Is there a specific manifold or splitter that addresses this issue for beer? Or should I have something made up at my local engineering shop?
                        Surely others have the same issue?
                        Even if I can just get 2 taps running at the same time that would be great. can it be as simple as a Y Split on the gas line from the regulator?

Comment

• Originally posted by CraftyZA View Post
                          So I've got 1 CO2 bottle(2kg), 1 regulator and 3 taps. and plenty kegs. This is an obvious problem.
                          Is there a specific manifold or splitter that addresses this issue for beer? Or should I have something made up at my local engineering shop?
                          Surely others have the same issue?
                          Even if I can just get 2 taps running at the same time that would be great. can it be as simple as a Y Split on the gas line from the regulator?
                          Some guys run up to 6 kegs on one CO2 bottle, just keeping splitting the CO2 gas line with a John Guest Y-fitting.

Comment

• That's what I do. One regulator and cylinder, gas line splits to each coupler with a JG Y splitter. Beerline from each coupler to each individual tap
                            Cheers

Jacques

Comment

• If you split your line from one regulator it means all kegs are at same psi. If you need different psi for different kegs you will need secondary regulators.

Comment

• Originally posted by Setsumi View Post
                                If you split your line from one regulator it means all kegs are at same psi. If you need different psi for different kegs you will need secondary regulators.
                                correct, but unless you are purist, you can get everything to dispense reasonably well at the same psi

Comment

Working...
                                X