Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a go at a Flanders Red - Weyerman Vienna as the base, CaraBelge, CaraRed, Melanoidin and a touch of dark crystal
    SO4 for primary, Lacto Brevis and Brett Clausenii for secondary
    Ready for when my first barrell arrives next wednesday

Not sure how I'm going to wait a year...

Comment

• Joining the dark side of barrel aging Camsaway? Intrigued, what size and type of barrel did you go for? I'm sure you checked out how to "ready" the barrel. French oak, new, used? I've toyed with the idea myself, but like you said .... a year is a pretty darn long time to wait. Also, good show not going for going the stout route.

Pretty darn cool though !! I'd love to see/hear your experiences...

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
        who's brewing this weekend? i have a fargo woodchipper ipa on the go for tomorrow 5kg marris otter, 0.5kg cara aroma, 0,1kg acidulated. bittering with galena. centennial, cascade, chinook for aroma. dry hop with those 3 c's and some simcoe for charm. using kveik voss again. calling this a session ipa with a lower than normal abv a decent bu:gu and lowish ibu at around 40. easy peasy.
        Sounds like an epic, mouthwatering beer. I always wonder whether to call a beer a Session IPA or a Pale Ale... In comp, I'd rather enter it as a Pale Ale.

No brewing this weekend for me, just pitching some yeast in a Belgian. Should be brewing again next weekend but haven't yet decide on what to brew.

Comment

• Originally posted by camsaway View Post
          Having a go at a Flanders Red - Weyerman Vienna as the base, CaraBelge, CaraRed, Melanoidin and a touch of dark crystal
          SO4 for primary, Lacto Brevis and Brett Clausenii for secondary
          Ready for when my first barrell arrives next wednesday

Not sure how I'm going to wait a year...
          Awesome. Where did you manage to get a hold of the Lacto and Brett? Is it a mixed culture already or did you purchase two pure strains? A year is a long time but it's even worse waiting a year and still not have brewed it... Let us know how it goes! I'm also warming up to the idea of doing a sour beer however I might start with a kettle sour and ferment with either a belgian or saison strain. Thinking of something like an Amber Belgian Sour Ale that's only about 6% abv so I can turn it around a bit faster than a year.

Recently listened to a podcast episode of Beer and Brewing Magazine with Mr R Chequire from Rodenbach. It was quite eye opening to hear his thoughts and approach on the use of wood in brewing.
          https://beerandbrewing.com/podcast-e...rudi-ghequire/

I quite like this Blog and would recommend it to all.

Comment

• This is busy mashing at the moment ...

Screenshot_4.jpg

...and yip, Only boiling the Pilsner malt for 30min also

Got the idea for the recipe off of the latest BasicBrewing episode ...

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Cheers @Flyingbrew. It doesn't quite fit the style for ipa or pa, but it's going to fit my mouth :-) The wort tasted amazing, bet it's going to be a citrus bomb, looking forward to this one.

Looking good @Jigsaw, I like a bit of carapils in my pilsner and you can't go wrong with fuggles. I beleive there was a bit of hoprot in the uk and fuggles was nearly wiped out.

Post brew I saved some of the spent grain and made some muffins -pretty damn good and super easy.
              Recipe from here https://theverystillnorth.com/2014/0...grain-muffins/ I adapted it by halving the sugar and adding a cup of grains. From here on out it's easy enough to slot in some adjuncts (lol) like cranberries or why. I ran out of milk and subbed in half a cup of milk with half a cup of timothy taylors landlord I made. Worked.

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                Joining the dark side of barrel aging Camsaway? Intrigued, what size and type of barrel did you go for? I'm sure you checked out how to "ready" the barrel. French oak, new, used? I've toyed with the idea myself, but like you said .... a year is a pretty darn long time to wait. Also, good show not going for going the stout route.

Pretty darn cool though !! I'd love to see/hear your experiences...
                25L reconditioned American Oak Barrell from http://www.fssmitco.co.za/ - they deliver it ready to be filled apparently (in fact they have been holding back delivery for me - they say to fill it within a day or two).

Comment

• Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
                  Awesome. Where did you manage to get a hold of the Lacto and Brett? Is it a mixed culture already or did you purchase two pure strains? A year is a long time but it's even worse waiting a year and still not have brewed it... Let us know how it goes! I'm also warming up to the idea of doing a sour beer however I might start with a kettle sour and ferment with either a belgian or saison strain. Thinking of something like an Amber Belgian Sour Ale that's only about 6% abv so I can turn it around a bit faster than a year.

Recently listened to a podcast episode of Beer and Brewing Magazine with Mr R Chequire from Rodenbach. It was quite eye opening to hear his thoughts and approach on the use of wood in brewing.
                  https://beerandbrewing.com/podcast-e...rudi-ghequire/

I quite like this Blog and would recommend it to all.
                  Cheers. I"ll take a listen. Got two pure strains from Liquid Culture (www.liquidculture.co.za). Chris has been super helpful too.

Let us know how you get on with yours.

Comment

• Decided last night I'm going to do a brew today - Vote DILLIGAF ale ! Macc ale with lowered IBU and bu:gu. It's a pretty darn tasty beer and my first "brew" again ale with a bit of refinement in the recipe. Bonus of colder weather brewing, the groundwater chills the wort fast, went down to 36C in no time (Kveik pitch temp)

Comment

• Had a BIG brewing weekend that extended into the week. Brewed a Lager and version 2 of my 2.5% abv Extra lite lager on Saturday. Bottled a Bock on Sunday. Big cleaning day yesterday (150 bottles and 6 kegs) Brewing a Blonde and a APA this week. Its thirsty work
                      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Yep, we're doing 75L German Blonde, 75L Cali Common and 50L Sweet Oak Infused Stout.

8 x 25L fermenters

And the Brown needs to go into the coldroom to cold crash. That means I need to clean 3 kegs.

Comment

• Wow, you guys are busy. I only have a belgian ale busy finishing up with primary and starting up my yeast bank. First entry is a witbier strain, which I need to test and then have a couple of handful of other strains to follow.

Becoming increasingly difficult to pick what I brew next as there's so many beers I want to make. Probably will do another iteration of my house pale ale.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                            Had a BIG brewing weekend that extended into the week. Brewed a Lager and version 2 of my 2.5% abv Extra lite lager on Saturday. Bottled a Bock on Sunday. Big cleaning day yesterday (150 bottles and 6 kegs) Brewing a Blonde and a APA this week. Its thirsty work
                            Harhm, how are you approaching you extra lite lager in terms of body vs ABV?

I'm working on a few very low abv recipes and trying to balance body impression, abv, and a reasonably crisp finish.

Comment

• Originally posted by robcass View Post
                              Harhm, how are you approaching you extra lite lager in terms of body vs ABV?

I'm working on a few very low abv recipes and trying to balance body impression, abv, and a reasonably crisp finish.
                              I have brewed Ales around 2% a twice now and are happy with the result, Lagers I have only brewed to 4% but will be brewing 2% lager the same way as I brewd the 2% Ales. I will be using my Ale grain bill with lager yeast to see where I end up for the 1st 2% lager.
                              First Ill go for Pilsner malt as a base or add some Munich, add some bodybuilding grains to the grainbill 10%, next some flavour malt about 5% and head formation/retention 5%. Use a water profile with about a 2:1 or sulfide:chloride ratio.

Mash above 68 for more body and residual sugars and aim for a bit higher pH 5.6 to help the alpha amylase to do the job at the higher mash temps. You will get a bit more unfermentable sugars but to counter that stay about mid range for IBU according to the style you can change this in version 2 if needed. Yeast choice can also play a big role, in the ales SO-05 was too clean, I much prefered K97 in the lower alc beers. I will rather go for yeast with more character like M76 vs something like S23 that almost too clean. ps It will help ito mouthfeel if you can keg the beer and carbonate it with suremix.

Good luck, keep us posted.
                              Harhm
                              Last edited by Harhm; 17 May 2019, 00:49.
                              2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Thanks! I had a similar approach, just haven't got quite as low as 2% abv.

Brewing 2 attempts this coming weekend, one a new recipe and one a second attempt with some tweaks. Aiming for approximately 3% on each. Will post progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X