Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I brewed the Cream of 3 Crops recipe "collaboration version" this morning, did it BIAB and No Chill.
    Everything as planned with 68.8% Pale Malt, 12.5% Corn and 6.3% Rice and 12.5% Carapils - 14.1 IBU - Mashed it for 90 min @ 63.5 with a OG of 1.044. a Brown Ale is up next.
    Harhm
    Last edited by Harhm; 28 March 2016, 16:32.
    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
      I brewed the Cream of 3 Crops recipe "collaboration version" this morning, did it BIAB and No Chill.
      Everything whent as planned with 68.8% Pale Malt, 12.5% Corn and 6.3% Rice and 12.5% Carapils - 14.1 IBU - Mashed it for 90 min @ 63.5 with a OG of 1.044. a Brown Ale is up next.
      i must say, the original version, after a few weeks, turned out excellent! i still maintain it needs to be drier but it was good nonetheless.

Comment

• Originally posted by that guy al View Post
        i must say, the original version, after a few weeks, turned out excellent! i still maintain it needs to be drier but it was good nonetheless.
        I feel the same. I think the maize sweetens it, although most argues that corn ferments dry. I have used both maize meal and popcorn and get a sweetness from it. My dad was a maize breeder and he used to say our maize cultivars are more oily and more rich in protein. If you want drier you can sub some grain with sugar.

Comment

• Did this Rye IPA with SAB hops today ...
          Screenshot_4.png

but boy-oh-boy, did that rye give me trouble ....
          It created some kind of paste at the bottom of the BIAB bag, which trapped about 10Lts in the bag when I hoisted the bag after the mash.

I therefor had to stand on a stepladder and scrape the bottom of the bag from the inside with a spoon every couple of minutes ... then squeeze the bag a bit, then scrape a bit, then squeeze a bit ... a whole 30-45min extra time
          ... not nice working with a hot grain bag dangling from the rafters

Lost about a Lt in the end but the SG was 1point up. Colour was very very pale in the end.
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• my brother-in-law and i brewed a pumpkin ale on saturday. all went well; no issues. happily bubbling away.

Comment

• did a california common last night. unfortunately it was one of those days where anything that could go wrong, did. eventually ended up with wort in a fermenter though. hope it all turns out ok.

Comment

• Was going to brew a pale ale, but temp was too high and caramelised the wort a bit, so brewed a 70 shilling scottish ale
                Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
                Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

• Just finished boiling my first AG pilsner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heath View Post
                    Just finished boiling my first AG pilsner.
                    and? how'd it go?

Comment

• All went according to plan, but the proof is in the drinking, now the real fun is cleaning up
                      Last edited by Heath; 28 March 2016, 18:26.

Comment

• Not brewing per se but I started a 2206 starter from a previous overbuilt starter for a Pilsner I'm brewing on Saturday last night and when I came home today it already reached high krausen. Compared that it was a Zombie the previous time around this is great news
                        Primary: APA
                        Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
                        Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
                        Next up: world domination

Comment

• Tonight- 40L of American Amber Ale

Comment

• Yesterday, 55L of Hoppy Blond in my big BIAB system.

Efficiency needs to be addressed, we're down a ton compared to stove top.

So either a longer mash or else I need to get a wider pot.

Protein break nearly boiled out the top, with 60L of wort.

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                              Yesterday, 55L of Hoppy Blond in my big BIAB system.

Efficiency needs to be addressed, we're down a ton compared to stove top.

So either a longer mash or else I need to get a wider pot.

Protein break nearly boiled out the top, with 60L of wort.
                              What's your numbers?
                              Primary: APA
                              Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
                              Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
                              Next up: world domination

Comment

• Originally posted by DieBaas View Post
                                What's your numbers?
                                1.8m, 105kg...........

OG came out at 1.035. Should have been 1.041-odd.

Water was very alkaline pre-mash and I adjusted down from 8.4 to 7.4 using citric (1.5 teaspoons), checked with a pH meter.

Also my mash tun/kettle is tall and thin (old copper geyser).

Mash Temp was a decent 66.9 (target was 66.7, we mashed in at 70.something and not 69.9).

I might have added an extra liter or two but at 65.8 liters it's not a huge issue.

Looking at our brew steps, we might have mashed 15 minutes too short (60mins not 75mins) but I doubt that 15 minutes at the end would have that much affect.

Mash temp only dropped to 65.9 during the hour and I mashed out properly to 76 degrees then lifted the bag to drain and started the boil.

Batch size was 55L and I think I know what our problem is..................

I might have done the recipe for a 50L batch

Comment

Working...
                                X