Re using yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re using yeast

Hi. I made an Oktoberfest lager (which turned out splenditly) and harveseted the yeast. About 5 small jam jars of 250ml each. When re using the yeast, must I keep to the same style/recipy? Also how much yeast to pitch into the new wort?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. No, but general advice is to go from low abv to high and from light color to dark. I find so long as I make a starter the color part isnt that important, I would not re-use yeast from a high abv brew personally.
    2. There are slurry calculators but generally I user to just chuck in about 250ml or there abouts.

These days I over make a starter and safe a portion of that. Less chance of contamination etc etc.

Comment

Thanks Jitters

And how long can I keep the yeast in the fridge? It now 2 weeks old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are peeps on the forum that have kept yeast in the fridge for up to a year.

My rule of thumb is if its less than a month old use as is, if more than a month I make a starter.

Comment

....and smell the yeast ... it will tell you if it's off.
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Also when you store the yeast, make sure there is a layer of clear beer on top of the slurry. The beer protects the slurry. Then take note of the colour of that beer layer .. if it goes darker over time, then you have oxidation happening and most likely an infection brewing.

I'm currently make a yeast starter from a packet (or liquid vial) and make more yeast than I plan for that brew, then I save off some of that newly created yeast into small vials, which I store away in a cold fridge and the recreate starters for a next brew whenever I need to.

Issue I have with storing the yeast cake from a brew is that there could be some hint of infection undetected initially, that will/might manifest into your next brews. That yeast cake stores all sorts of organic matter, grain/hop particles that might lead to itself going vrot.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
              ....and smell the yeast ... it will tell you if it's off.

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
              Also when you store the yeast, make sure there is a layer of clear beer on top of the slurry.
              This so much this. If you follow alex's advise and store a layer of beer over the yeast it should smell like beer, if it smells like anything else even slightly then dont use it!.

Comment

I've really had trouble with this! I reused yeast 5 or so times and my one buddy a bunch of times, these were the only infections we ever had, it's not that it smells bad when you reuse it, it's just yeasty, a little bit difficult to tell though. I decided to stop reusing yeast as the R50 I save per brew is not worth the time I waste, I can live with the grains lost, but the Saturday I can't get back

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Touch wood, I must be lucky then ... so far I've only dumped once because I wasn't happy with the smell.

i think my record is 30 brews on one pack of US-05

so at the current price of R67, that's close to a R2,000 saving
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Too many chances of infection, let alone taste variations. I rather pitch fresh.

Comment

Yup, I had a weird scenario with washed Kveik Oslo - split the wash in half for two beers.

Pale Ale - 1.045 - lots of Phenols and sharp off flavours
                      Amber Ale - 1.049- no off flavours, all good

So I'm back to using fresh yeast again..R90 is better than dumping a R600 batch of beer.

Comment

You need to brew cheaper beers if it costs you R600 a shot without the yeast... :P

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                          You need to brew cheaper beers if it costs you R600 a shot without the yeast... :P
                          Dude, that's for 50 liters!!

Pale Ale use 250grams of hops...R600 is not bad at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
                            Dude, that's for 50 liters!!

Pale Ale use 250grams of hops...R600 is not bad at all.

Seems correct, it costs me R250 - R350 for half that depending of type brewed.
                            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                              Seems correct, it costs me R250 - R350 for half that depending of type brewed.
                              It's really easy to mitigate costs of brewing. I paid R90 for a six pack of Castle Milk Stout over the weekend which is less than 3 liters of beer, for R90, I can make between 6 and 9 liters of beer, that's good math in my book. We are not even comparing to craft beer, that's a whole different ball game all together.

Comment

Working...
                              X