Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grainfather

Hi there

A few months ago lost my brewing passion so i sold my entire set up, ive now got the brewing urges again , and im thinking of going with the grainfather connect, any opinions, secondly in terms of fermentation vessel, i like the fast ferment but concern i have is how do i control my fermentation temps, i saw the jacket insulated jacket, where water bottles are put in but how good is that control any suggestiins

Thanks

T

Best way to control fermentation temps is an old fridge and an STC1000 controller.

Most 25L drums and fermenters will fit into a decent upright fridge : just get one with the wire racks not the stupid new glass racks.

Comment

The easiest way is to control via stc and old fridge.
      A small bar fridge takes a plastic bucket fermentation vessel, carboys will need a bigger fridge, like a small chest freezer from Hisense which could double as a kegerator if required.

www.brewkegtap.co.za

thumb_IMG_4005_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5397_1024.jpg
      Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
      Best way to control fermentation temps is an old fridge and an STC1000 controller.

Most 25L drums and fermenters will fit into a decent upright fridge : just get one with the wire racks not the stupid new glass racks.
      Why bottle? Kegit

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, my old setup made use of a heatpad and fridge, i would put my fridge on minimum, and then control beer temo with a heatpad, ie fridge would cooldown, then heapad heats up , then fridge cools down, issue i have with fridge alone process control would be when days are hot night is cold, during day fridge wii coo temps down but what about when its cold at night nothing to heat it up, or maybe the fridge insulation keeps it warm enough

Comment

Originally posted by Tmartins View Post
          Thanks for the feedback, my old setup made use of a heatpad and fridge, i would put my fridge on minimum, and then control beer temo with a heatpad, ie fridge would cooldown, then heapad heats up , then fridge cools down, issue i have with fridge alone process control would be when days are hot night is cold, during day fridge wii coo temps down but what about when its cold at night nothing to heat it up, or maybe the fridge insulation keeps it warm enough

The STC is the device which you plug both the heating and cooling power sources into.
          The temperature prob connected to the STC controller will decide whether to turn on the heat or cooling devices thus temperature is maintained regardless of time of day or outside conditions.
          You will connect your temperature probe to the outside of the fermentation vessel and insulate it slightly so that it picks up the temperature of the vessel rather than the outside fridge temperature to ensure more accurate readings.
          Why bottle? Kegit

Comment

Yep and an STC is a whole R500 and even a child can install it.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
              Yep and an STC is a whole R500 and even a child can install it.
              If you don't buy from a brew shop I've seen the controllers go as low as R340. Here's one for R485, including shipping to your door: https://www.takealot.com/reef-aquati...s/PLID46906811

If you're in Cape Town, you can pick up and shave another R90 off that price: https://www.marine-aquarium.co.za/pr...BoCfagQAvD_BwE

Comment

Or if you are technically inclined build your own for the price of an arduino board a ds18b20 temperature sensor and a couple of relays.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by atunguyd View Post
                  Or if you are technically inclined build your own for the price of an arduino board a ds18b20 temperature sensor and a couple of relays.
                  Hah, welcome dude!

Comment

Thanks.....
                    Just getting into it myself. This weekend I bought a second hand commercial drinks fridge (like a half size coke fridge) which I changed to be an environment chamber complete with my own designed temp controller. It has a digital display of the temp and two buttons for temp up and down. It then kicks in the compressor or two halogen bulbs mounted inside to heat or cool the fridge.
                    Took a while to tune the hysterisis as well as accommodate for overshoot of temps. Don't want the compressor to overshoot and then the bulbs to come on......

All of this obviously housed in a custom designed 3D printed enclosure of course.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
                    atunguyd
                    Last edited by atunguyd; 8 April 2018, 11:26.

Comment

Thanks for the wisdom, all ways appreciated

Comment

Got the grainfather connect yesterdaym took it through a cleaning cycle, really really love it, it even makes the wife happy since i can spend more time with the family, while the grainfather does it thing

Comment

Hey guys, just took the grainfather connect for a first brew, absolutely loved it, especially the cooling directly into the fermenter. Had two small issues that i want grainfather to answer, my temp during boil maxed out at 96, even thou boil was very rigourous , spirit thermometer read 101, so think something could be up with thermometer, secondly my setpoint was 99 actual 96 power was 100 percent, when i took setpoint to 98 and actual was 96 power dropped to 70 percent, which i expected, however after more than 5 min with temp stagnant at 96, i expected power bar to go up to 100 again, but it didnt, this isnt normal controller behaviour, it should adjust to reach setpoint any thoughts

Comment

I do not have a grainfather, but remember that boiling is only 100C at sea-level.

Also, you do not want a "very rigorous" boil. A rolling boil is all that is needed.

Comment

Boiling point drops with altitude. 96-98 deg C is correct for the Highveld depending on altitude and humidity.

Will be unpacking our New Grainfather today or tomorrow for a wet run...........

Comment

Working...
                              X