No announcement yet.

No Chill Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeah, i'm an a-type and am unable to skip the "motions". my attempt at "let the chips fall where they may" has had me weighing out fistfuls of rye to get to a happy average, then using this to make a whisky mash with a few "fistfuls" of rye to randomize it, plus it sounds way cooler. letting fate decide the outcome, with a fairly good understanding of the outcome anyway. brewing blind would strip the joy out of it for me

Comment

• Saw this at westpack. HDPE2 stamped and with thick sturdy walls. Should work, right?

1.jpg

Comment

• Perfect

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Thats what I got for my only attempt at cubing. Worked fine but you need to get a good grip on the lid to seal, but I think thats with all containers really.
          Langchop
          Last edited by Langchop; 7 January 2021, 09:10.
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
            Thats what I got for my only attempt at cubing. Worked fine but you need to get a good grip on the lid to seal, but I think thats with all containers really.
            Do you ferment in it?

If so where did you get a special osmosis cap from (or would you just crack the lid slightly).

Comment

• Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
              Do you ferment in it?

If so where did you get a special osmosis cap from (or would you just crack the lid slightly).

The guys in Australia ferment straight in their cubes by just cracking the lid ... no special caps
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                Do you ferment in it?

No, not that time. I did ferment straight in one of Toxxyc's cubes though. Worked fine, just a bit tricky getting the wort out afterward with the equipment I (dont) have.

I usually prefer to just rubber band a packet over the opening and make a pin prick in it. That way you dont pull in oxygen if you take a sample (if a tap is fitted)
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Hop utilization and isomerization of bittering compounds in the wort Its a function of AA% temp and time. Hop utilization decreases by roughly 50% for every 10 C drop in temp so by the time your cube is at 70C (in less than a 90 min - I still have time and temp figures somewhere) hop utilization is only around 12 % . iow it decreases much faster than you think

The rate of temp decrease will also be different depending the volume of the beer and the ambient temp - My advice is not to use the chart as its just a wild guess 7 years ago to move all the hop additions forward by 20 min.

In brewing consistency is Very important and my advice is to eliminate as many variables when you brew and especially when you do no chill, the easiest way to eliminate the variables is not to transfer all your hops to the cube

I use a hop spider in the boil and do not transfer any hops to the cube and it eliminates the guess work of moving around the hop timings, no guessing the amount of bitterness increase in the cube depending on the temperature change over time....

Yes you can still do all the stuff you do in the kettle including whirlpool ( at set temp and time) Beersmith software has done lots of work to include bitterness contributions during whirlpool, it might still be a WAG but at the very least its a calculated WAG

You can still do a cube addition as a super late aroma addition and transfer your hot wort into the cube with less worries that it will be overly bitter vs when you transfer all the hops into the cube.
                  Harhm
                  Last edited by Harhm; 9 June 2022, 13:05.
                  2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Working...
                  X