Juniper Berries and Lemongrass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juniper Berries and Lemongrass

I love experimenting with fruit infusions in my beer and the likes thereof.
    I have done a very succesful chilli beer, an excellent Belgian raspberry Ale as well as a Raspberry Wheat Beer which is dangerously quaffable.( hammered before you know it)

I found some dried Juniper Berries in the pantry the other day and am thinking along the lines of a ginned wheat beer.

I recently got 2 damamged whispering wheat kits at half price and am thinking of using both kits in a single brew and doing an infusion of juniper berries and lemongrass as I think the flavours should compliment each other.
    I will soak the berries and lemongrass to re-hydrate and then boil to extract as much flavour as possible and use the water as part of the brew.
    The problem I have is how many berries do I use as I have never worked with them before in any form.( Current thinking is 10-15 berries)
    The lemongrass is not such an issue as I have a fair idea that I will use a spoonful of it.
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you the next best thing, BEER

You had my attention at gin and juniper berries. Off topic, but where did you find juniper berries?
    Primary: Bohemian Lager
    Secondary: Bohemian lager/ Ale fusion - Added US-05 to secondary
    Next up: Bohemian Lager
    Then: Bohemian Lager
    And Then: Bohemian Lager
    Conditioning: Chucked Fruit Ale

"What he doth, he doth by rule of Thumb, and not by Art."
    "What's the use of having a mind when you can't change it?"

Comment

Sounds delicious.
      What is your fermentation capacity and your boil capacity?
      For my winter ale I boiled a much lower capacity than my fermentation capacity as it was extract. I used Star Aniseed for some liquorice flavour. The flavour is barely perceptible now, and I realised I could have used more in my boil.
      Primary: Bohemian Lager
      Secondary: Bohemian lager/ Ale fusion - Added US-05 to secondary
      Next up: Bohemian Lager
      Then: Bohemian Lager
      And Then: Bohemian Lager
      Conditioning: Chucked Fruit Ale

"What he doth, he doth by rule of Thumb, and not by Art."
      "What's the use of having a mind when you can't change it?"

Comment

Gonna do a 20l fermentation and the boil will probably be about 3l ( fruits only)
        With regards to the juniper berries, the missus found them in a speciality shop somewhere whilst we were away. I cant remember where, however I have seen them in PnP.
        Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you the next best thing, BEER

Comment

Hi

How did it turn out?
          __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Primary: Hobgoblin Clone
          Next up: Amber Ale / Spice Beer
          Kegged: Tits up in the mud Pale Ale
          Conditioning: Chimay Blue Clone

Comment

Working...
          X