Bad Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DieBaas View Post
    I quickly went through your ratebeer profile and I would stay far away with my beer from you. But maybe you can tell me what off flavours you're getting from mine...
    I rate beers the same in competition as I do in Ratebeer, well, maybe a bit less harsh in competition. Pro brewers should know how to brew and clean!

I am happy to do a tasting for/with you. I can even arrange for a few other judges to join if you want a "proper" judging.

I have done private ratings for pro-brewers and then my results do not go to Ratebeer, just straight to the brewer, with comments on problems (if found) and possible solutions (or contact details for consultants).

Which Loco Liq do you buy from?
    That was from Blairgowrie. I also use the one in Beyers Naude often. What I like about the Loco Liq one is that it is across the road from Hops, Scotch and Barrel, in case I can't find a beer at Loco Liq.

Comment

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
      I am happy to do a tasting for/with you. I can even arrange for a few other judges to join if you want a "proper" judging.

I have done private ratings for pro-brewers and then my results do not go to Ratebeer, just straight to the brewer, with comments on problems (if found) and possible solutions (or contact details for consultants).
      I was kidding on tasting mine but wouldn't mind getting involved in a tasting club (not just homebrew) if there is such a thing

That was from Blairgowrie. I also use the one in Beyers Naude often. What I like about the Loco Liq one is that it is across the road from Hops, Scotch and Barrel, in case I can't find a beer at Loco Liq.
      Thanks, this is quite close to work.
      Primary: APA
      Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
      Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
      Next up: world domination

Comment

I was kidding on tasting mine but wouldn't mind getting involved in a tasting club (not just homebrew) if there is such a thing. Thanks, this is quite close to work.
        Tasting beer is not a kidding matter! I spend a lot of brain cells and money on that!

I was planning on starting a tasting club, but I ran into many obstacles:
        1) Limited tasting - people have to drive home, so you can only taste about 4 X 100 ml tasters
        2) Timelines - people have spawn that apparently need to be fed (not to a tiger)
        3) Cost - not so much a problem if you taste only SA beers, but imported stuff gets expensive and then people become funny (they taste, but do not want to pay)
        4) People - unfortunately people are involved and that means politics, personalities, religions, etc.

Comment

I am getting amazingly good at picking up baby vomit..
          as far as taste goes, is there a difference between 'baby' vomit and 'adult' vomit?

Comment

Originally posted by that guy al View Post
            as far as taste goes, is there a difference between 'baby' vomit and 'adult' vomit?
            The milk content. This adds lactic sourness that is usually not that strong in adult vomit

Comment

The milk content. This adds lactic sourness that is usually not that strong in adult vomit
              it concerns me that you know so much about the flavor of vomit.

Comment

Originally posted by that guy al View Post
                it concerns me that you know so much about the flavor of vomit.
                Well played!

Comment

Tasting beer is not a kidding matter! I spend a lot of brain cells and money on that!

I was planning on starting a tasting club, but I ran into many obstacles:
                  1) Limited tasting - people have to drive home, so you can only taste about 4 X 100 ml tasters
                  2) Timelines - people have spawn that apparently need to be fed (not to a tiger)
                  3) Cost - not so much a problem if you taste only SA beers, but imported stuff gets expensive and then people become funny (they taste, but do not want to pay)
                  4) People - unfortunately people are involved and that means politics, personalities, religions, etc.
                  I'd be keen for a tasting club. 1-3 are not obstacles for me at present. Can't make any promises about number 4 though.

Comment

Glad a thread like this finally popped up.

People know I love beer, so I often get bought bottles of craft as gifts. The saddest part about it all is I end up throwing away 90% of them due to them being off. I also find over carbonation in Devils peak beers to be an issue.

I think part of this list needs to be bars serving craft beer. I've lost count of the amount of times I've had a barmen stare at me blank and tell me "thats what its meant to taste like" absolutely kills me to the point that I've stopped buying craft beer at most places. When I do get a replacement, you can see that they have done nothing to change out the keg and rinse the beer lines and then serve said off beer to another patron whom knows no better.

Don't even get me started on the prices bars are now charging... R50 a pint being the norm.

//rant over
                    Setup: 3x 80L SS vessle arduino temperature controlled HERMS. 1x 50L SS & 2x 20L plastic fermenter

Fermenting: IPA (mosaic, US4/78, xja2/436) -50IBU's OG- 1056
                    Drinking: Belgian Blonde Strong Ale, Blonde beater sour ale, Amber Rye Candi Ale
                    Next: APA (anything with lots of hops)

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
                      I've lost count of the amount of times I've had a barmen stare at me blank and tell me "thats what its meant to taste like"
                      ROFLMAO! I feel your pain!

Comment

Originally posted by kingcur View Post
                        I'd be keen for a tasting club. 1-3 are not obstacles for me at present. Can't make any promises about number 4 though.
                        Me three. My amateur tasting skills need serious guidance....

Comment

I agree that although there are lots of local breweries, very few are producing quality beers and I'm scared about how this will effect the industry. Both the consumers and the brewer's are learning, I just hope that the brewer's learn quicker!

I worked for Garagista for a while and although I did have some proud moments (tears of the hipster being one of them) I had plenty of times where the owner didn't want to listen and sent out bad beer or beer to places where it would not be treated well. I'm glad I'm out of there but I think plenty of people are on such a tight budget that they feel they have to sell everything, even if it's bad...

I think we need to educate consumers better so that they can recognise bad beer and let the breweries know that it's not acceptable to send out sub par beer

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan View Post
                            I think we need to educate consumers better so that they can recognise bad beer and let the breweries know that it's not acceptable to send out sub par beer
                            Hear Hear!

Comment

Im still learning and tasted and "rated" close to 40 different beers in the past 4 months, Included some of my own. What i have learned is that 1. I have a long way to go in developping my palate and tasting skills. 2. Some of my own beers are good and some (liked by others) in my taste are below avg 3. I liked most beers if not all exept a 10% abv FAXE from Denmark and a Guinness (can) that was off. 4. Did also tatsed a local craft beer that tasted like horse sweat and reminded me of Springbuckskins
                              Harhm
                              Last edited by Harhm; 3 August 2015, 13:28.
                              2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                                also tatsed a local craft beer that tasted like horse sweat...
                                hey, don't knock horse sweat! it's quite pleasant once you get used to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X