This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did you learn today

What did you learn about beer/homebrew/homebrewing today?

Lets post the random day to day things you have learned today. Whether it is you just realized that a refractometer cannot read FG without a calculation or that bleach is a horrible santizer or that you need to turn off your boil kettle when using an immersion chiller.
    Primary: APA
    Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
    Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
    Next up: world domination

TIL: 10 kgs of grain looks a lot less than what you expect.

Comment

i learned that beer tastes better on a friday afternoon.

Comment

I found it is not easy guessing the amount of hops to add when your scale is broken. Wanted 13 ibu got probably 30ibu hahah.

Comment

Start heating your water before you do anything else...

Comment

Maize Meal = Stuck Sparge

Comment

Craft beer in a restaurant is massively over priced and it ruins the entire experience.

Comment

Not sure if it is the wort or Anchor Yeast, but wow!! A very quick fermentation!

Comment

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
                  Not sure if it is the wort or Anchor Yeast, but wow!! A very quick fermentation!
                  Yup sprinkled Anchor Yeast in an ancient mead, took off after 3 hours

Comment

How to read a refractometer... at least I think I understand how to read the SG. It does however read 5 points higher than my Coppers hydrometer (yes I did calibrate it with distilled water). I guess if the final gravity also differs the same, one of the two is not properly calibrated

- - - Updated - - -

Now I just need to figure out the Brix readings...
                    Cheers

Jacques

Comment

if you're trying to read FG with refractometer you have to do the adjustment for the alcohol. As i understand it Refractometers don't read liquid with alcohol correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by ljm109 View Post
                        if you're trying to read FG with refractometer you have to do the adjustment for the alcohol. As i understand it Refractometers don't read liquid with alcohol correctly.
                        If you know the OG, you can read the Brix value with a refractometer and then pop it into beersmith or any other online calculator to get FG. Without OG, you're stuffed and need to use the hydrometer. I never actually use a hydrometer any more
                        Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Originally posted by ljm109 View Post
                          Yeah, a Refractometer measures how light bends due to the solids in the liquid. Unfortunately alcohol also bends light. so you need your OG. the calculator then adjusts for the bending caused by the alcohol.
                          I sometimes use my hydrometer, it gives me a reason to sample the bit in the test tube

Comment

Originally posted by VenomZA View Post
                            Yeah, a Refractometer measures how light bends due to the solids in the liquid.
                            Surely you mean density of the fluid changing the light refraction?
                            Cheers

Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by pretorjn View Post
                              Surely you mean density of the fluid changing the light refraction?
                              Yes, more sugar or whatever particles in the fluid = a more dense fluid = more light refraction.
                              Solids was probably the incorrect term. Just wanted to keep it simple.
                              VenomZA
                              Last edited by VenomZA; 3 August 2015, 15:11.

Comment

Working...
                              X