Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stormy Capetonian weather revealed that glühwein warmed on the fireplace is good, not as good as beer, but under the circumstances an exception can be made.

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
      ^ What style of beer was it ... they obviously aimed for something lower than 2.6 volumes of CO² ??

I usually aim for about 2.3

What temp is the beer sitting at atm ?

Its a South African Pale Ale
      Beer is in a cupboard with electric blanket keeping constant 20deg

Comment

• Originally posted by SamlL View Post
        Its a South African Pale Ale
        Beer is in a cupboard with electric blanket keeping constant 20deg

Aah ok, just wanted to make sure you're not "condition storing" them in the fridge.

90g isn't much, but it should be ok to get some bubbles into the beer ... nothing less than 2.0-2.1 volumes on my usual 19L batch ? ... and 2.1 is acceptable ??
        What was your batch size?
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
          Aah ok, just wanted to make sure you're not "condition storing" them in the fridge.

90g isn't much, but it should be ok to get some bubbles into the beer ... nothing less than 2.0-2.1 volumes on my usual 19L batch ? ... and 2.1 is acceptable ??
          What was your batch size?
          20L batch, but i got out about 21.something lt after the boil, so could extra liter or so cause it to water down too much for the dex

Comment

• I used 93g of dextrose in my last pilsner, in about 22l total. Carbonation is a bit low, but it's still enough to pour a nice head and it is far from flat.

Comment

• Today I learnt that breast milk storage bags function well for storing harvested yeast. I also learnt how to harvest and wash my used yeast.
              Harvested Yeast.jpg

Comment

• Nice One

cool3.jpg
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• I learnt that a maize hammer mill and a rice dehusker won't mill your malt... like nothing!it just comes out the bottom. You have been told. Malt mill ordered and on its way.

Comment

• I've learnt that brewing my own beer has ruined some of my favourite commercial craft beers, I'm drinking one of my favourite IPA's and it has off flavours, esthers and the finish and mouth feel is harsh.

Comment

• Originally posted by paul.stevens View Post
                      I've learnt that brewing my own beer has ruined some of my favourite commercial craft beers, I'm drinking one of my favourite IPA's and it has off flavours, esthers and the finish and mouth feel is harsh.
                      One of us ! Welcome to the club

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• One of us!

Comment

• Was hoping for another "one of us" but I'm at work again and waiting so I'll post.
                          After Groenspookasem reminding me that although I prefer my own brew, the brew shop only exists because of the craft market I ordered a variety pack.
                          There are definitely some that are boring. But man
                          Afro Caribbean can brew!

Comment

• (yesterday) I learnt that over pitching Kveik will decimate your gravity in no time...
                            Went from pitching 500ml starter into 14L of 1.040 wort at 20h on Sunday, to noticing no more activity and checking the SG at 19h yesterday only to find the brew was down to 1.008!
                            This was at 30deg C.

I made a 1L starter of some old(expired May 2020) LC Midbust Kveik I've had in the fridge. I took out about ~3ml using a pipette into a 1.040 DME starter. I started it around 17h on Sat
                            so it was about 27 hours in when I pitched.

I also learned that one should always check if your recirculation pump's pipe is INSIDE your kettle before turning it on, doh!

Comment

• I learned (once again) how tough a damn krauzen ring can be where you can't reach it.

I also learned how weird a wort smells when you boil it without hops. It's just not the same. Smelled like freshly baked bread and cookies, with a hint of carnival caramel/toffee, but it did not remind me of a beer boil even one bit. Oh, and it smells completely different to the mash, for some reason.

Comment

• Had an almost disastrous ending to a brew day.. first time using LC's yeast and didn't care to look if it had a second cap after removing the big cap.. Gave it a squeeze and the inner cap dislodged, luckily landing on the floor and not in the wort.

Lesson.. check and double check.

Comment

Working...
                                X