Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personally, I like to carbonate my beer at room temperature in the keg - it just works for me. I use 50liter SAB kegs, so it is a bit different to the 19liter kegs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maputo_Brew View Post

Was very interesting that the bottles tasted a whole lot better than the kegged version.

Maybe because my kegs were at 0c and 15psi for 2 weeks?

Was it carbonation bite? The bottles were smoooth and rounded.
      15 psi at 0C Totaly overcarbed 3.3 volumes unless its a Lambic or German Wheat,
      Why are you chilling to 0 C ?
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• I just wanted 0c like i see in the bars.

Comment

• Most beers are not supposed to be enjoyed at 0°C. It's too cold, and hides flavours and aromas.

Comment

• Agree 0C is to low, ramp it up to 3C - 5C
            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Thanks, Will set keezer between 3 and 6c

Comment

• I kept mine at 2°C for the most part.

Comment

• We miss the mark most of the time ito beer drinkability, we put a lot of effort into recipe, equipment and brewing but we don't give proper attention to the details when it comes to the drinkability of our beer.

My Kegged beer has always tasted the same as my bottled beer, the difference is mostly in the carbonation and the serving of the beer that changes the mouthfeel (I mostly bottle a portion of a batch that Ill send to club competitions)

Bottle carbonation for various styles of beer is to a great extent a hit and miss affair but proper records and consistency can help you dial it in over time, when kegging you can regularly test the co2 level and dial it in for each beer as the carbonation level increases and that leads to us saying that kegged beer tastes better but it actually just drinks better.

The level of carbonic bite from CO2 is influenced both chemically by the level of carbonic acid that changes the pH, and also as a physical sensation ito the rate of bubble formation in your mouth from the co2 coming out of solution, the temperature that the beer is served at also plays a major role ito carbonic bite.

Other factors that can paly a role in drinkability is the different methods of carbonation (Spunding, Bottle carbonation, forced carbonation with or without nitro mix) the different beer taps that we can use and the various pouring methods (Taps and bottles) and even glass ware influences the drinkability and overall experience of the beer.

We shouldn't be influenced by advertising that Yellow fizzy beer served as close to 0 C is the best beer drinking experience
                  Harhm
                  Last edited by Harhm; 31 July 2023, 11:08.
                  2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Thanks for your insights Harhm, as usual there is something to learn from your posts.

For me it's all about repeatability - trying to create the same beer over and over again. I only experiment for Brewcraft's Saturday Sessions - the rest of the time I make 50 liter batches which I keg into 50 liter kegs - I want to drink the same beer every time I make the same recipe. And that's where drinkability comes in...it has to always be drinkable!

Comment

Working...
                    X