Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm planning on opening a tap room/ brew pub. Your ideas please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK: business names reserved and registration should be complete this week.

Next step is the licensing.

OK: so for crowd funding, what would YOU expect as a reward:

- discounts on beer?
    - discount on the whole bill?
    - supporter merchandise?
    - etc?

Open to some ideas here.

I'd be happy with a discount on my beer based on my contribution.

But this cannot obviously be a thing that is valid forever, surely? 1 year, 6 months, 2 years?

R2k can get me say a 10% reduction on all beers for a year?

Comment

The problem with crowd funding is you are propping up your business' success with something artificial.

What happens when the money runs out? What happens when the reward period runs out? Will your benefactors continue visiting your place after their 10% discount runs out?

What if I do not like the final product? What if your new place attracts a crowd I don't want to associate with? I donated to the crowdfund but I cannot reap my rewards because I do not want to go there? I am not willing to take that gamble then. This is a thing that you cannot control. With a physical product you can precisely describe it and if the final product does not match the marketing then there is (usually) hell to pay.

I think crowdfunding works because we pay money and get a physical product in return (in a perfect world). Crowdfunding what is essentially a restaurant is harder because your benefactors get no real physical ROI.

You can promise a share in the company, but that is super dangerous because one person can just buy a controlling amount of shares and strongarm you out of your business.

It's a nay for me on crowdfunding for both options. I will support a new place no matter how small or how many beers are on tap, as long as it gives me what I want and I like it there. It's much nicer to see a place grow organically out of it's own success, than seeing a massive swanky super smart place that is constantly deserted because the owner misread the market or something.

m2c
      For things I'm selling:
      - I can be contacted at homebrewer at dline dot co dot za
      - I am located in Pretoria East
      - I am always open to reasonable offers, especially if you are picking up more than one thing I'm selling.

Comment

Thanks for that insight.

Comment

Digging this up again cos I just came across it, and only found out a few weeks ago about this venture of yours. Where are things at? How are things going?

I am sure things are well advanced, but here are some of my views:

FOOD: I wouldnt say you want too exotic and too much variety that it becomes the focus of all your attention, and also detracts from beer being the focus of the brewpub. I also think something like really good pizzas and hamburgers go well in that kind of more relaxed environment. A pizza and beer I had at The Lazy Lizzard made it really stand out for me cos it was such a good combo. Even tho the setup was a bit underwhelming, I couldnt wait to get back there.

BEERS: I think having just a few core beers where the quality and consistency is well maintained trumps having an excess of options that are just 'okay' And then you try and often/ always have a sideline 'experimental'/ test beer. People love knowing that they are getting a sneak peek at something or an exclusive tasting. Hey, use them as your guinea pigs, and if feedback is good you make it into one of your core beers and drop one of your less popular core beers. When I did a course at Red Rock, we got to taste one of their mysterious unlabeled experimental beers (double IPA), and man it was good. So now I am carefully looking out for it in anticipation that it makes it to production. Kinda keeps people interested?

Back to the quality: I cant tell you the number of times I have had a great craft beer in a bottle and then I see it on tap somewhere, and it is so old/ stale/ oxidised/flat that it ruins said beer for me and I never even want to buy it in a bottle again. A beers only as good as the last memory you have of it.

GLASSES: I like the ale shape. As much as getting distinctive and unique ones are great, this counts for nothing if after 3 months of operation you have a random mix of sizes and brands cos you couldnt get replacement. Get glasses from a known supplier and get one of their core commodity designs/ models, so you can always have similar glasses. Just looks more classy and less impromptu. Hell, it should be easy enough getting your branding put on some very simple glasses to make it distinctive.

WAITERS: Important they know and understand beer well and can explain the differences between the offerings so a novice craft beer drinker can find something to their liking and become a new fan and repeat customer. I also think the little taster trays are a great option for these potential future customers. Hell, serve them with a little information brochure which includes a questionnaire that gets their feedback and preferences-very valuable. With drink driving limits a person could have their one beer that just happens to not suite their tastes, and never come back.

LOCATION:just let us know where it is when its on the go so we can drop in and say hi! Looking forward to your success with this.
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

My favorite and local is https://aegirprojectbrewery.com/ or https://www.facebook.com/Aegir-Proje...8442934056610/ or https://www.instagram.com/aegirproject/

Excellence in execution, not a burger or pizza in sight. Various sausage styles on hot dog or soft pretzel rolls and other smallish food items. Core beers on 5? taps and rotation on experimentals. Always jam packed with patrons either waiting for a spot to sit or parking off on steps. They're at the red herring trading post in noordhoek, but do pop up at other venues in the Cape. They do offer growlers for sale and refills of these too. Love the place.

Devils Peak lost its soul to satan :-)

Comment

@ Langchop:

Thanks for the interest. Things have progressed, we are indeed mostly waiting for the dreaded cANCer government to process the liquor license request.....
              FOOD: this will be deep fried and flat-top grilled. If you want a salad, bring your own.....
              BEERS: some core beers, some experimentals and some floating taps from some top Worthogs club members
              GLASSES: we usually source from a reputable vendor near Kya Sands
              WAITERS: that will be me in the beginning.........

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                My favorite and local is https://aegirprojectbrewery.com/ or https://www.facebook.com/Aegir-Proje...8442934056610/ or https://www.instagram.com/aegirproject/

Excellence in execution, not a burger or pizza in sight. Various sausage styles on hot dog or soft pretzel rolls and other smallish food items. Core beers on 5? taps and rotation on experimentals. Always jam packed with patrons either waiting for a spot to sit or parking off on steps. They're at the red herring trading post in noordhoek, but do pop up at other venues in the Cape. They do offer growlers for sale and refills of these too. Love the place.

Devils Peak lost its soul to satan :-)
                Rory is brilliant. We have been to the new taproom in Constantia but I was underwhelmed by the venue there.

As for DP: they haven't been "craft" for a long time. "Independent" is also now in question. And we don't want to even discuss DB.

Comment

How awesome would it be to have one of your own beers on tap at a venue! Sounds like a cool setup!

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                    How awesome would it be to have one of your own beers on tap at a venue! Sounds like a cool setup!

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk
                    I have multiple beers on tap at a venue, but that venue is not open to the public. You're right it is an awesome feeling. The owner has lots of cooking experience and makes a mean dish, some nice glasses, excellent location, rubbish waiters though, tends to be a help yourself thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                      I also thought it would be cool. It will mean some wangling to align to the Liquor Act but nothing insurmountable.

Comment

I also think having a proper and informative website is critical.

Do you have an expected opening date?
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                          I also think having a proper and informative website is critical.

Do you have an expected opening date?
                          nope, I think word of mouth is better

sometime this year...............

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post

nope, I think word of mouth is better

sometime this year...............
                            And we are open................

https://www.google.co.za/maps/place/...1!4d27.9221839

Opening times:

FRIDAYS: 12h00 till late
                            SATURDAYS , SUNDAYS AND PUBLIC HOLIDAYS: 10h00 until 19h00

Comment

Awesome man!!! Congrats! Ill see you soon

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Comment

Close to the biker lanes if I read the map correctly. I'd love to pop in some time!

Comment

Working...
                                X