Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm planning on opening a tap room/ brew pub. Your ideas please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by getack View Post
    For whatever my opinion is worth: I have limited experience with drinking at noncommercial beer pubs and I only know the Pretoria ones well and I visitied Sabie Brewery once earlier this year.

Location: Please please please do it in the Pretoria region! We only have a couple of decent watering holes and another one would be very welcome.

Selection
    : Capital Craft has like a million brews on tap and it makes choice difficult and myself and friends usually settle for the old favorites every time. A maximum of 5-6 taps means you can run through the entire selection in one evening and be satisfied in the fact that you at least tried everything. Too much choice means we do not know were we have to start.

Food: eating good food at a pub is very important to me. I'm not talking about that R300 fillet with a cherry & Camembert sauce. But a seriously good burger with some seriously good chips and seriously good onion rings goes a million miles to to help me reconsider the place a second time. Although I hate the word, "gourmet pub food" explains it very well. Sabie Brewery, Capital Craft and Baracas have menus that stood out for me. I agree with the notion of a limited selection on the menu. Maybe have a few menus on weekly rotation to keep things interesting.

Pricing: (I'm not sure how feasible this idea is though) Many folks (such as myself) like to explore different beers while we have a good time. So this usually means tasters are out because they usually cost more per liter of beer than the big draughts. Capital Craft has an interesting but really cool scheme where the cost per beer scales linearly. So I can buy 3 X 350ml draughts or one 1 liter draught of the same beer and it would cost about the same. It makes me more keen on ordering many small drinks and thus get to experience as many tastes as I can.

Noise: I like places that are more partial to being not so noisy as some Pretoria places can be. I am at the age where I like to actually talk to my friends when we are at a pub, because that is usually the only opportunity I have to catch up with their lives.

Brewing on location: I've also toyed a bit with the idea of opening a brew pub with an on-location brewery. I think it is best to first focus on the pub aspect and then on the brewery. First establish the pub, get a good reputation and have decent cash flow with decent daily foot traffic and then consider getting the correct paperwork and making/selling your own beer on location. Hedging your bets on your own produce is a bit risky an could cause the doom of a virtually unknown pub. Think what would happen if your favorite watering hole all of a sudden starting making and selling their own beer alongside the usual repertoire. It's not going to affect you as a patron in any way. You will try the beer, if you like it, win win! And if you don't like it, whatevs, they still stock your usual favorites so you will keep on coming back!
    I Agree 100% food is extreamly important . If there is 2 spots that both have good beer food will be the deciding factor ... u sont need many options ...whatever u do do it great and that should be fine.

Kids arai = happy moms = more beer for the one whos not driving home.

If u have a View ...u dont need vibe , ppl will be the vibe . If u dont have a View u need a Vibe .

I do Sunday buffets so i get more families with kids . Saturday is sports or music... younger crowds . So its possable to direct your difrent age groups with small tweaks.

Comment

Location: Please please please do it in the Pretoria region! We only have a couple of decent watering holes and another one would be very welcome.
      \
      Agreed! We are in serious need of another good brewpub in Pretoria

Comment

Originally posted by SimonB View Post
        Do yourself a favour. Make a trip to Cape Town, and spend some time at the Taproom @ Devils Peak. THAT is the way to do a brewpub although at a bigger brewing scale.
        i couldn't agree more if i tried. they've truly created the ultimate experience there and i'm sure they're making a killing.

Comment

Originally posted by duff. View Post
          Kids arai = happy moms = more beer for the one whos not driving home.
          happy dads too, let me tell you.

Comment

Food: eating good food at a pub is very important to me. I'm not talking about that R300 fillet with a cherry & Camembert sauce. But a seriously good burger with some seriously good chips and seriously good onion rings goes a million miles to to help me reconsider the place a second time. Although I hate the word, "gourmet pub food" explains it very well. Sabie Brewery, Capital Craft and Baracas have menus that stood out for me. I agree with the notion of a limited selection on the menu. Maybe have a few menus on weekly rotation to keep things interesting.

Noise: I like places that are more partial to being not so noisy as some Pretoria places can be. I am at the age where I like to actually talk to my friends when we are at a pub, because that is usually the only opportunity I have to catch up with their lives.
            What he said....+ staff that know about the beer they're selling....... and a personable barman is a plus of course
            ljm109
            Last edited by ljm109; 26 August 2015, 22:56.

Comment

On both beer and food rather go for quality over quantity. Capital craft has a very small food menu but the food is amazing. And to have staff that knows about the beer you can't have too big of a selection. That will also help keep your inventory stocks down.

And +1 on Pretoria for a location. But rather make it in Centurion there isn't a single craft prewpub in the area
              DieBaas
              Last edited by DieBaas; 27 August 2015, 07:02. Reason: Spelling
              Primary: APA
              Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
              Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
              Next up: world domination

Comment

Well the initial business plan has mutated to the point where I am overhauling my semi-detached double-garage on the farm, and we will start the pub there. It's easier as I can then apply for a brewing, distilling, and dispensing license for one premises.

Still have to work on some of the details.

Play area, parking, petting zoo, somewhere for the musicians to set up, kitchen area, toilets...........nothing major

Comment

Bumping this thread.

What about seating and tables? Who has an issue with the traditional wooden pub bench&seat combo?

the_classic_walk_in_bench_1c02.jpg

Or do you like a more traditional table and loose bench?

lapa_set_with_benches_1b03.jpg

Or what?

We'll be rustic, and fine tables are out. I might be convinced to go steel tube frame and wooden top though.

Comment

Originally posted by DieBaas View Post

And +1 on Pretoria for a location. But rather make it in Centurion there isn't a single craft prewpub in the area
                    Sorry. But I do agree.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                      Bumping this thread.

What about seating and tables? Who has an issue with the traditional wooden pub bench&seat combo?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1145[/ATTACH]

Or do you like a more traditional table and loose bench?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1146[/ATTACH]

Or what?

We'll be rustic, and fine tables are out. I might be convinced to go steel tube frame and wooden top though.
                      The normal one would be fine but you have more flexibility with the loose chairs

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Comment

OK: glassware: I'm more keen on the traditional ale glass

But lots of people use the heffeweizen glass.

Then there is the standard UK pub glass:

pint-glass.jpg

Comment

Personally I'd like it if you give me the correct glass for the beer style.

Comment

Originally posted by DieBaas View Post
                            Personally I'd like it if you give me the correct glass for the beer style.

Since I'll be selling predominantly ales, that isn't an issue.

The lager glass in my previous post is too delicate.

Here's what I would use:

pilsner.jpg

If it's good enough for DP, it's good enough for me.

Comment

At home I like to drink from a Castle Draught glass ... nice strong & solid glass

Screenshot_2.jpg
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I think the normal UK pubglass is fine for supplying beer to other beer lovers without having to break the bank.

As to tables, I don't care as long as they are sturdy and looked after
                                Cheers

Jacques

Comment

Working...
                                X