Thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermometer

Hi guys, I was just wondering what you use to keep an eye on temperatures. I bought 3 digital devices that are identical but the readings one, is totally different from the others, as far as rate of change as well as actual temperature. It is obviously wrong so I do not use it. The other two are fairly close in their readings so I assumed that they were correct. That is until I installed my STC1000 in a freezer. I decided to use one of the 2 good thermometers just as a calibration check. The two probes are both dangling in the freezer next to each other so the readings should be identical. Needless to say, they differ between one and two degrees over time. The range is 17 dC to 18,5 dC on the one and 18 dC to 20 dC on the other. Is this close enough?

I would just like to know what the actual temperature is but what do I get that I can use as a reference? Are the glass thermometers you buy at the chemist truly accurate? Somehow I doubt that they would all be 100% accurate. Especially at 18 degrees because as a human your body would never be at that temp.

Your input please.

Make a mix of ice and water and let it stand for a while . This should get you 0 deg C on the dot . See which probe is the closest
    If you see spelling mistakes in my posts, use as many of the goodies below as required to fix it!
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789

Comment

I have/had so many digital thermometers and if I could get just 2 to give the exact same reading, I would [&^%$%insert some sh|t here*^$#@]

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

i've never had an accurate digital so i don't trust them. i prefer old school analogue.

Comment

Hi Al,

Which analogue ones do you use?

Comment

By that I mean, do you use the normal glass (medicine case models) or the more industrial ones with the dials (similar to what they sell for people to stab their meat with [emoji3])

Comment

Originally posted by Braailus View Post
              By that I mean, do you use the normal glass (medicine case models) or the more industrial ones with the dials (similar to what they sell for people to stab their meat with [emoji3])
              sometimes both but the normal glass 'candy' thermometers are usually good enough for me.

Comment

I have a few different digital ones as well. I have tested them against samples using a 'red alcohol' chemistry type. The one make works best in the higher temp ranges and I use this for my mash, the other works best in the lower ranges (I think they sold it as an aquarium thermometer) and I use this for my fridge and fermentation. I think it depends on the thermocouple that is used in the probe, they all have different resistance. I don't think a degree here or there makes a huge difference when there are so many variables that change in each brew. In my view the extra cost of precision instruments would be better spent on grains or hops that actually result in more beer being made!
                I spent 90% of my money on brewing and drinking beer and the other 10% I wasted

Comment

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd necro this one. I need one to check my mash temps.

For 30 bucks I'm assuming these ones from communica are NOT very accurate... right?
                  1.jpg

TAL that has this candy one for R140.
                  2.jpg

Any personal experience with either?

Comment

After all the fun with digital inaccuracy, this is where I currently am in my brewing evolution...
                    GlassThermometerYellow.jpg
                    More costly but you can be a lot more confident in the readings

EDIT: more detail

Top ones are handy but can be out by 5 or 6 deg. Bottom one probably better, never used one, but the temp indication probably isn't as interval'ed as much as you would want for mashing
                    Langchop
                    Last edited by Langchop; 18 January 2021, 22:05.
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

On bid or buy.. not too bad at R145 all in.
                      1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                        Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd necro this one. I need one to check my mash temps.

For 30 bucks I'm assuming these ones from communica are NOT very accurate... right?
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]2978[/ATTACH]

TAL that has this candy one for R140.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]2979[/ATTACH]

Any personal experience with either?

https://www.takealot.com/digital-aqu...m/PLID49433600

Comment

Get this one:

https://za.rs-online.com/web/p/digit...eters/1231940/

Cheap will give you an idea: if you want accurate, expect to pay more.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                            Get this one:

https://za.rs-online.com/web/p/digit...eters/1231940/

Cheap will give you an idea: if you want accurate, expect to pay more.
                            That unit doesn't seem to have the type of wire that I'll be comfortable sticking into liquids ???

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                              After all the fun with digital inaccuracy, this is where I currently am in my brewing evolution...
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]2980[/ATTACH]
                              Agree, I have never used a digital thermometer
                              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Working...
                              X