No announcement yet.

Thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have one of those steak probe thermometers that's actually quite accurate. I don't mind one degree here or there. All my beers come out good. So far.

Comment

This thread had me thinking about my rPi DS18B20 sensor and its accuracy.

I'm at 1600m altitude and I should be getting a boil from around 94.7℃. My last brew it slowly started at around 92(according to my Pi) and at around 93.5 boiled vigorously.

Now, I know that the air pressure on the day can also affect this, but it may just be a deg or so off. This means that my mashing may be slightly lower, which is also fine by all accounts.
      One really doesn't want it being higher than it should be and/or a variant of more than one/two degrees.

I think i'll rig it up later and compare it to the glass thermometer(like Langs) to see if there is a noticeable difference between their readings.

Comment

Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
        On bid or buy.. not too bad at R145 all in.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]2983[/ATTACH]
        I mailed them and they said it's 25-30cm

Thats pretty decent so thinking I'll place an order.

Comment

Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
          This thread had me thinking about my rPi DS18B20 sensor and its accuracy.

I'm at 1600m altitude and I should be getting a boil from around 94.7℃. My last brew it slowly started at around 92(according to my Pi) and at around 93.5 boiled vigorously.

Now, I know that the air pressure on the day can also affect this, but it may just be a deg or so off. This means that my mashing may be slightly lower, which is also fine by all accounts.
          One really doesn't want it being higher than it should be and/or a variant of more than one/two degrees.

I think i'll rig it up later and compare it to the glass thermometer(like Langs) to see if there is a noticeable difference between their readings.
          So if the boiling point is affected this much how is mash temp affected?

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

I think the big factor (with hops utilisation) is that max temp maxes out at boiling point, which varies according to altitude.

With mashing you arent pushing these limits, so 64C at sea level is same as 64C in Underberg, and the enzymes are in their happy place in both scenarios
            Cheers,
            Lang
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Agreed with langchop. Also, hops isomerize at around 80°C anyway, so that's also fine. I don't care much for the different temps and altitudes and stuff. Make beer. Drink beer. Make more beer.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                That unit doesn't seem to have the type of wire that I'll be comfortable sticking into liquids ???
                It's a K type probe. I use mine all the time for my mash temps. Use it, don't use it, I could care less.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                  It's a K type probe. I use mine all the time for my mash temps. Use it, don't use it, I could care less.

Shocked.jpg
                  Well no fine then ... you got some groenspook in you this morning?

My point was that wire looks like it's got "fabric" on the outside ... thats obviously not meant to get wet ?
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                    Agreed with langchop. Also, hops isomerize at around 80°C anyway, so that's also fine. I don't care much for the different temps and altitudes and stuff. Make beer. Drink beer. Make more beer.
                    Not to pick an argument(!), but I think sometimes humans like to pick a breakwater point when there actually isnt one. I have also always read about isomerisation being above 80C but this seems to imply otherwise.

huangutilasfunctionoftemp.png

Interestingly though, this does seem to show the substantial difference between 100 deg and 95 deg. However, I do believe this experiment would have been done at sea level.. And maybe a 95C boil at the coast is very different to a 95C vigorous boil at altitude which may explain why in practice we dont all agree with software altitude adjustments?
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2989[/ATTACH]
                      Well no fine then ... you got some groenspook in you this morning?

My point was that wire looks like it's got "fabric" on the outside ... thats obviously not meant to get wet ?
                      i heard that

Comment

the fabric is just to protect the metal of the probe wire

my previous probe lasted 4 years before it started giving erratic readings

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                          Not to pick an argument(!), but I think sometimes humans like to pick a breakwater point when there actually isnt one. I have also always read about isomerisation being above 80C but this seems to imply otherwise.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2990[/ATTACH]

Interestingly though, this does seem to show the substantial difference between 100 deg and 95 deg. However, I do believe this experiment would have been done at sea level.. And maybe a 95C boil at the coast is very different to a 95C vigorous boil at altitude which may explain why in practice we dont all agree with software altitude adjustments?
                          Huh. Interesting.

The graph does make sense - very similar to how enzymes work then. It's not a "switch" type thing that kicks in. They all work everywhere, just on a scale.

I wonder then why no-chill calculations are calculated based on the time it takes the wort to reduce to below 80°C? I think a test is in order. No-boil beer with hops added longer, but keeping temp at 80. I know it'll serve little purpose (except maybe that you don't have to boil), but it sounds interesting to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]2990[/ATTACH]
                            Do you have a link where you got this graph from? Thx

I'm also pondering on increased IBUs from bittering (or any boil addition) hops when doing a hopstand/whirlpool after the boil.
                            When you use a hop during the boil, then software calcs their IBUs according to the time it's exposed to the boil - say 60mins for a traditional bitering hop. Then conventional chilling will take you about 10-15mins to get below 50°C (which is a theoretical cut-off for hop isomerisation). Considdering this, then your boil addition IBUs should increase .. right?
                            Now! add a 20min hopstand to the equation .. 60min + 20min (at reduced temp) + 10min (chilling 80-50°C).
                            Even if you considder a 5min addition hop. Then 5min @ 100°C (this is where software IBU calcs stops - prove me wrong) + 20min @80°C + 10min @80-50°C.

Make sense what I'm trying to get at here?

Comment

A bit late on this, but maybe can help someone looking for a thermometer:
                              R60 for a glass thermometer and i think it should be quite accurate
                              I ordered one on friday after I dropped mine

https://chemlabsupplies.co.za/produc...y-10c-to-110c/

They also have sodium percarbonate (R220/5kg)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

https://www.google.com/amp/s/alchemy...ilization/amp/

It's an interesting overall read

I've always said... Stick a teaspoon of dry pellet hops in your mouth and tell me it's not bitter in it's unisomerised state (when you're done gagging!)
                                Cheers,
                                Lang
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X