No announcement yet.

Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking into 30L kegs, but can only find prices on brand new ones that's a bit expensive, any places selling used ones that's still good?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shatter View Post
      Looking into 30L kegs, but can only find prices on brand new ones that's a bit expensive, any places selling used ones that's still good?
      Other than the Tree of Gum, nope

Comment

• Heaps of new distillers buying those to convert, I have my eye on a 50l keg, solely for pilsner. I'll ping here if the bloke gets some again

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Friend of mine got a used 30L keg beginning of the year for R700. But the person does not have any left. Will also post here if I find any

Comment

• Not saying anyone is. Just a plea though - please make sure if you are buying a second hand keg that the person selling it is actually the owner of the keg (or bought it legitimately). It's a huge issue for the breweries that their kegs go missing/don't get retruned. And while they do have deposits, it doesn't come close to the cost of a new replacement keg (as you've seen).

If you do see a breweries kegs up for sale, please drop a message to the brewery so that they can engage the seller.

Comment

• Absolutely this

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by camsaway View Post
                Not saying anyone is. Just a plea though - please make sure if you are buying a second hand keg that the person selling it is actually the owner of the keg (or bought it legitimately). It's a huge issue for the breweries that their kegs go missing/don't get retruned. And while they do have deposits, it doesn't come close to the cost of a new replacement keg (as you've seen).

If you do see a breweries kegs up for sale, please drop a message to the brewery so that they can engage the seller.
                I usually hassle the seller direct .... There are plenty of them on FB markerplace
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by camsaway View Post
                  Not saying anyone is. Just a plea though - please make sure if you are buying a second hand keg that the person selling it is actually the owner of the keg (or bought it legitimately). It's a huge issue for the breweries that their kegs go missing/don't get retruned. And while they do have deposits, it doesn't come close to the cost of a new replacement keg (as you've seen).

Good to know, will definitely ask the seller where he got the keg and check for any stamps etc. before I buy one second hand. I thought the kegs that you get from businesses is renting only? was not aware you can buy a working keg / place a deposit on one and keep it as long as you like. Usually there is a time limit for renting one.

Comment

• Hypothetically, would there be an issue in using ice to cool. Let me explain, so you do your grain step and then bring to the boil and then the hops etc. What if water is an issue and you dont have an option of an immersion chiller or an ice bath, could you add in ice direct to the wort?

Say you start with 20L of water for a 22L batch. You lose quite a bit with the boil etc. So for example you lost 4L so you would have 16L at that point, throw in 6L of ice. The Palmer book does mention it, but only the things you need to be careful of, like bacteria from commercial ice, nothing else.

Just something I thought of the other day and was curious about.
                    There once was a man from Nantucket.
                    Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
                    He put the wort into there,
                    to cut down on the air.
                    Then drank it all up like a muppet.

Comment

• Short answer = YES

Many brewers do it

Edit: fast forward video to about 5:40

JIGSAW
                      Last edited by JIGSAW; 31 July 2020, 10:39. Reason: Addded video

Comment

• ^^ I am also very entertained by the Fast Brewer

Comment

• my old mash method: Mash in the oven. Damn that was so nice and easy, but small batches suck!

But I don't know if you can trust someone who stores their Toy Story DVD in the deep freeze!?!?!

I was very keen on this at one stage, but then it didnt seem practical, and the Fast Brewers precooling in the sink definately makes it easier for the ice:

[95deg 20L wort] + [ -18deg 20L ice (say)] = [38deg 40L of 1:1 diluted wort] [crude calc, neglecting different heat capacities]

Its a lot of ice to sanitise and freeze and still not get you close to pitching temps?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
                          ^^ I am also very entertained by the Fast Brewer
                          PS. I usually watch youtube vids at 1.5 speed, so that was quite hectic!
                          Cheers,
                          Lang
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                            PS. I usually watch youtube vids at 1.5 speed, so that was quite hectic!
                            Same ... I sometimes even go up to 1.75.
                            My friends cant understand how I can follow a vid like that, but watching it at normal speed puts my brain to sleep

Comment

• How many times do you guys use your cubes for no-chill before discarding?

Comment

• Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
                                How many times do you guys use your cubes for no-chill before discarding?

Forever

I've got 2 cubes I sort of rotate between brews. I got rid of the previous cube that I've been using for years when I got these 2 about 2 yrs ago .... I only got rid of the other because the Iodophor I used back then gave a "kak" colour stain on the inside.

Comment

Working...
                                X