No announcement yet.

Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can get decent copper from some solid core flex(twin and earth) electrical cable as well.

I just used cable ties on mine and its pretty solid.

Comment

• Anyone used PET kegs? Can they be re-used (although they are advertised as single use)?

The reason why I ask is for transport weight and space - for when I go on holiday...:-)

Comment

• Thanks! I just realized I've got a bunch of twin and earth in the garage! Think I'll see if I can up-cycle some of that! I've been coming up dry at hardware and hobby shops... Man, Leroy Merlin seems to have a ton of stuff... wish they had a presence in Cape Town...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
          Anyone used PET kegs? Can they be re-used (although they are advertised as single use)?

The reason why I ask is for transport weight and space - for when I go on holiday...:-)
          I'll go with single use for a reason. You probably could reuse it, but whether you should is debatable. What's the worst that could happen? Failure in transit or failure when carbonating, both sound bad. What's this holiday you speak of? You know something we dont? :-D

Comment

• Is it really necessary for a separate bottling bucket?
            Why can you not just add carbonation sugar (mixed with little bit previously boiled water) to the entire batch in the fermentor bucket and bottle straight from there?

Comment

• Most of us do. After you pour give it 10 min to settle before you start bottling

Comment

• I have been bottling from the fermeter and adding sugar to each bottle. My brew buddy has moved away so I think I am going to batch prime as everyone does just based on ease and wanting to push the carb level ahead of what the scoops can offer.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Great, thanks...

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                  Most of us do. After you pour give it 10 min to settle before you start bottling

Comment

• Anyone know how the 25L Blow Moulded Fermenter from NFP looks like? my fermenter/bottling bucket its not airtight anymore, its a small thing, but I want to see the airlock working when I walk past it. I got one of those blue 25L HDPE 2 drums for a replacement but the bottom is not flat, make stirring and cleaning a issue. Looking for something like the pictures below.
                    3.1-30L-Plastic-Fermenter-min.jpg1547453515.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Shatter View Post
                      Anyone know how the 25L Blow Moulded Fermenter from NFP looks like? my fermenter/bottling bucket its not airtight anymore, its a small thing, but I want to see the airlock working when I walk past it. I got one of those blue 25L HDPE 2 drums for a replacement but the bottom is not flat, make stirring and cleaning a issue. Looking for something like the pictures below.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]2516[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2517[/ATTACH]
                      That first one is the plastic fermenter sold by Brewcraft, Mangrove Jacks, I think.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by SykomantiS View Post
                        That first one is the plastic fermenter sold by Brewcraft, Mangrove Jacks, I think.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
                        Yes it is, but I dont think they stock then anymore.

The 2nd one should be available from bevplus
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Jip correct the second one is from the bevplus website, been keeping an eye on it for a while but its out of stock the whole time, guess is should just be patient. Will drop them a mail as well.

Comment

• What to use to keep fermentation temp during winter (don't have a fermentation chamber), using a heat belt or put the fermenter in a tub with water and get a aquarium heater or?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shatter View Post
                              What to use to keep fermentation temp during winter (don't have a fermentation chamber), using a heat belt or put the fermenter in a tub with water and get a aquarium heater or?
                              Put fermenter inside a cardboard box with an electric reptile heat pad.

If you have a STC1000 type controller, connect that to the reptile pad so it goes on/off as needed, otherwise monitor with a temp probe and manually control.

You could also build a box from styrofoam
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• never thought of styrofoam, should be cheap as well. Thank you

Comment

Working...
                                X