No announcement yet.

Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So i have been using Pet Bottles to bottle and want to make the change to glass. I've been looking at cappers and it seems you get two types stand and Emily cappers. the stand cappers look the most versatile but I wanted to ask you peeps with way more experience. Worth it to get the stand capper? please weigh in with your experience!!

Thanks

Comment

• As someone who only has an Emily capper. Yes buy a bench capper. It works better, it is less effort only con is the price. So if you don't start with one you will just keep using the Emily.

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
      So i have been using Pet Bottles to bottle and want to make the change to glass. I've been looking at cappers and it seems you get two types stand and Emily cappers. the stand cappers look the most versatile but I wanted to ask you peeps with way more experience. Worth it to get the stand capper? please weigh in with your experience!!

Thanks
      Andreas
      Last edited by Andreas; 19 October 2020, 12:11.
      Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
      Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

• +1 what @Andreas said. My Emily capper irritates me every time i bottle, to the point where im kegging now. Not sure if the bench capper will be that much better though. But at least it will eliminate the guessing if you really did properly seal the cap. I dubble press on every bottle but still have some duds

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Is there any real difference between the types of bench cappers sold by the various LHBS? I see small variations between them, but nothing that's fundamentally different between the various models... Or are the all much of a muchness?

Comment

• i kegged right off the bat, initially i drained what didnt fit in the keg, now i bottle those and i fkn hate it, it's a gigantic pita and the bottled beer isnt nearly as good as what it was in the keg. i dont know what capper i have it's black with arms, like those old timey cork pullers. i bought that and a bunch of bottles and tops in one go. i've also drank it flat and green from a jug over a few days to just not bottle.

kegging save lives. just thinking of bottling makes my blood pressure rise...

Comment

• Like many thinks in life to an extent you get what you pay for, that said pretty much all the LHBS have benchcappers that are pretty much the same. Even if you keg, at some point you will bottle a bit - competitions, sharing, having too much beer for the keg ect. A friend has a bench capper and it just works a lot better.
              Originally posted by Rikusj View Post
              Is there any real difference between the types of bench cappers sold by the various LHBS? I see small variations between them, but nothing that's fundamentally different between the various models... Or are the all much of a muchness?

Comment

• +1 ... forget the capper(s)

Move from PET straight to kegging ... you will not be sorry
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Quite happy wiyh my Emily capper, can do 40 bottles in 10 minutes, and thats without rushing. I have used a friend bench capper before and personally I see no major advantage.
                  Have had the money to go the kegging route a couple of times but decided against it. I do not think there is really a major advantage time wise.
                  Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                    . I do not think there is really a major advantage time wise.
                    Uhm, filling the keg takes the same amount of time that it takes to fill the bottling bucket...

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                      Quite happy wiyh my Emily capper, can do 40 bottles in 10 minutes, and thats without rushing. I have used a friend bench capper before and personally I see no major advantage.
                      Have had the money to go the kegging route a couple of times but decided against it. I do not think there is really a major advantage time wise.
                      10 minutes ! Wow, I'd like to see you clean, sanitize, dry or otherwise prep, fill and cap 40 bottles in 10 minutes. Is that 10 earth, africa or mercury minutes? Advantage is in quality of beer and quality of life, but if bottling works for you then it works. I personally cant stand doing it and drinking a beer from it either. It's a grudge beer.
                      groenspookasem
                      Banned
                      Last edited by groenspookasem; 19 October 2020, 13:48.

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                        10 minutes ! Wow, I'd like to see you clean, sanitize, dry or otherwise prep, fill and cap 40 bottles in 10 minutes. Is that 10 earth, africa or mercury minutes? Advantage is in quality of beer and quality of life, but if bottling works for you then it works. I personally cant stand doing it and drinking a beer from it either. It's a grudge beer.

No that is just the capping. Filling bottles and capping about 30 minutes, then there is still the cleaning time which is about 1 - 2 hours.
                        In one intance of kegging compared to bottling, yes kegging is much quicker, but over many instances i.e. a year or more I think it can even out. With kegging you still have cleaning of keg, beer lines etc. There is maintenance on equipment, going out to fill CO2 bottles etc.

Hey but I could be wrong as I have never kegged, just what I have found in my research.
                        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• I do both. Kegging is a bit more expensive - fridge for kegs, kegs, CO2 . Great for fresh beers and lager. I bottle for darker beers, works great for that.

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                          No that is just the capping. Filling bottles and capping about 30 minutes, then there is still the cleaning time which is about 1 - 2 hours.
                          In one intance of kegging compared to bottling, yes kegging is much quicker, but over many instances i.e. a year or more I think it can even out. With kegging you still have cleaning of keg, beer lines etc. There is maintenance on equipment, going out to fill CO2 bottles etc.

Hey but I could be wrong as I have never kegged, just what I have found in my research.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rikusj View Post
                            Is there any real difference between the types of bench cappers sold by the various LHBS? I see small variations between them, but nothing that's fundamentally different between the various models... Or are the all much of a muchness?
                            Apparently there is a specific brand that is a bit better quality and doesn't need as much force. Can't recall what the name is now

Comment

• I have not progressed the keg route yet and bottle only at this stage.. and yes it's a bitch cleaning all the bottles and storing them .. full or empty. How I see it tho is that kegging is great for suiping at home.. having a bar setup and entertaining friends.. however dragging a keg to a friends braai or party is a bit of a slep - also you'll need a moerse coolerbox... possibly an upright version (lol) or you entertaining friend has space in his kegenator for you. .. otherwise taking bottles out to friends is easiest. .. So kegging at home and bottles at friends? Just my opinion.

Comment

• @alexbrew that's my opinion on it, yes. Kegging for home use, and then only bottling what you want to take to friends.

If I go the kegging route, I'll probably go the growler route as well. Fill up a few litres to take to friends. I like my beers lower carbonated anyway, so it's perfect.

Comment

Working...
                                X