Page 82 of 89 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast

Any of the available dry yeast brands are perfectly fine. Just check the sell by dates but having said that, we have used expired yeasts and just over-pitched for safety and have had no issues.

Liquid yeast : quite sensitive so temp control is crucial for storage. Chris Rothman from Liquid Culture is a real gentleman though and will ship liquid yeast from Bloem in a polystyrene box with an ice pack. I don't use liquid yeast much as it doesn't make a lot of sense for the average beer styles.

He has a nice range of Kveik now, perfect for summer.
    I think we'll do a Kveik on the weekend after next, just have a wedding to sell beer at this weekend

Maybe a nice Kveik NEIPA.

I have no doubt they are- 90% of my brewing experience is with dry yeast. Within their styles, dry east strains work just as well as liquid. But that is not really what my question is about.

I'm looking for the specific yeast strains from those labs. Whether dry or liquid, different lab strains, even when they are for the same style, aren't always the same, sometimes they're hardly even similar.
    So my question wasn't about the availability of liquid yeast or substitution with dry yeast. Rather the availability of specifically WYeast and White Labs strains.

If you want wyeast or white labs and cant find it from brewmart/africahops - then you're importing. If you can read yeast descriptions then you can find what you're looking for by comparing against the yeast descriptions from LC , but you would need to know what you want. You'll have to figure that out yourself, only you know what your copied recipes are what yeasts are needed.
    Last edited by groenspookasem; 17th September 2020 at 11:10. Reason: cant english today

Quote Originally Posted by SykomantiS View Post
    I have no doubt they are- 90% of my brewing experience is with dry yeast. Within their styles, dry east strains work just as well as liquid. But that is not really what my question is about.

I'm looking for the specific yeast strains from those labs. Whether dry or liquid, different lab strains, even when they are for the same style, aren't always the same, sometimes they're hardly even similar.
    So my question wasn't about the availability of liquid yeast or substitution with dry yeast. Rather the availability of specifically WYeast and White Labs strains.
    I'm no microbiologist, but I've spoken to several (Chris Rothmann, Megan Gemmel etc) to know that while there is deviation on strains, the large labs ALWAYS keep a master strain to revert to once they realise that a yeast has deviated significantly. In fact, this was the subject of a presentation by WL at a Beer Boot Camp seminar a few years ago, presented by one of their leading scientists.

So this past week I have been wondering about urns and brewing. Itching to get one, my main motivation is bigger batches for the same effort I currently put in, but don't want to spend too much at this stage to get the equipment for cooling post boil.

Obviously an ice bath is not possible, so can i do no chill in the urn? Maybe sealing the lid somehow (clingwrap) after the boil until next day then transfer to FV?

Literally did just that last weekend. I brewed Friday night. Closed the lid and left it for the night. Didn't even bother with cling wrap, poored it over to the FV Saturday morning and pitched. Tapped the first from the keg yesterday. Worked well coz the steel cools quicker then the plastic

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

It's something I would be weary to do because you don't get to heat and sanitize the entire inside surface or air volume too well, especially with shrinkage causing a vacuum and wanting to suck in outside air.... But Imma wait here for the cubers to chime in
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    It's something I would be weary to do because you don't get to heat and sanitize the entire inside surface or air volume too well, especially with shrinkage causing a vacuum and wanting to suck in outside air.... But Imma wait here for the cubers to chime in
    Nah, I go straight from boiling into my fermenter (no chill), place the airlock with sanitiser, put it in the swimming pool to cool down and then onto the fermenter fridge set at the correct temperature, leave it overnight and pitch the next morning. No issues whatsoever. Been doing this for years.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeslouw View Post
    Maybe a nice Kveik NEIPA.
    Got my hands on some Kveik Midtbust this weekend from Liquid Culture, perfect for NEIPA, the fruity aromas from the starter was exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    Got my hands on some Kveik Midtbust this weekend from Liquid Culture, perfect for NEIPA, the fruity aromas from the starter was exceptional.
    Yep, I love it. I've been using it for my APA's with S.Passion and must agree, the starters always smell GREAT.