No announcement yet.

Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeah, what jigsaw & kegsolutions said, diluted 30% sodium hydroxide / caustic soda solution works well for kegs,lines etc. but i dont use it in my gf, pump and copper cfc...

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
      http://kegsolutions.co.za/caustic-soda-cleaning/

But like said already, Sodium Percarbonate should be fine ... I've been using it as in forever
      Smart!! Thanks a million [mention]JIGSAW [/mention]

I see that other place, think blackwell? is out of stock. Will check back regularly to check.

Sodium Percarbonate might be the solution.

Thanks for all the replies, appreciate it

Comment

• Since I am now waiting on copper tubing to make a chiller, I am left with trying to do a no-chill beer. I have never done one of these before having put my brew pot in an ice bath for the previous batches. Looking at my stock last night I realized I need to brew today or I am going to run dry and I don't have enough ice so that's not an option this time.

If I don't have a cube to put my wort in, can I pour the hot wort into my plastic fermentation bucket and leave it overnight with the oxygen layer on the top and then pitch yeast, or will that just make it die instantly?
        There once was a man from Nantucket.
        Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
        He put the wort into there,
        to cut down on the air.
        Then drank it all up like a muppet.

Comment

• Jip you can do that. Ive done it many times. I just fit a bubbler so the air sucked in is free of bugs and such. If i plan to pitch yeast asap i dont cube i just go straight to the fermenter.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Baie dankie oom Jannie. I have 3 cases of quarts left and the people in my complex are frikken knocking on my door as I am the only brewer in the complex. Never mind that 3 of the ones asking for beer the most are the same ones who wanted to issue me a fine for brewing, you know because "it smells funny"
            to cut down on the air.

Comment

• Originally posted by FriedPiggy View Post
              Baie dankie oom Jannie. I have 3 cases of quarts left and the people in my complex are frikken knocking on my door as I am the only brewer in the complex. Never mind that 3 of the ones asking for beer the most are the same ones who wanted to issue me a fine for brewing, you know because "it smells funny"
              Sounds like a fun complex!
              Cheers,
              Lang
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Baie dankie oom Jannie. I have 3 cases of quarts left and the people in my complex are frikken knocking on my door as I am the only brewer in the complex. Never mind that 3 of the ones asking for beer the most are the same ones who wanted to issue me a fine for brewing, you know because "it smells funny"

Fnck that shit ... they can have once and that's it! ... Afterwards I will give them ...
                Tom Betts.jpg

PS: you can also leave the beer right in the brew pot and transfer the next day or later the same day
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

PS: you can also leave the beer right in the brew pot and transfer the next day or later the same day
                  *** Did you mean 'wort' ?***

PS. Sorry, couldnt resist.
                  Cheers,
                  Lang
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Ok Ok, POTENTIAL beer
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Successful brew day behind me with the wort sitting all nice and cozy in my fermenter. Have sommer put one of those blue ice bricks next to it as well since this is Durban and we live on the surface of the sun in summer.
                      to cut down on the air.

Comment

Ok Ok, POTENTIAL beer
                        To be fair I see pretty much any grain as potential beer as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                          I never use caustic on my urn. I spray it off with a pressure washer and occasionally scrub it down with a nylon abrasive pad. Caustic attacks various metals aggressively, and will completely destroy softer alloys and cast iron. I only use caustic soda to clean my fermenters and my stainless steel kegs.

Also be very careful of any detergents that aren't meant for brewing as they will leave a residue that will affect the beer flavour.

Since your urn runs between 70 and 100 degrees, there are very few nasties that stay behind as long as you rinse the urn and the tape IMMEDIATELY after brewing.
                          Sorry I have to disagree with you there. Caustic soda is perfectly safe on most iron and steel. If anything it will reduce rust on both as the alkaline solution can react with the iron to create a magnetic oxide layer instead of rust (exactly how sodium nitrate is used to blue guns to prevent rust).

The abrasive nylon pad is probably worse than caustic soda as it is scratching the surface (although very fine scratches).

Caustic soda is the go to cleaning chemical in industry for a reason. It work well and fast.
                          The oxygenated cleaners work too but they are much slower.

That said however if your equipment is aluminium then stay away from caustic soda as it does dissolve aluminium.

In my grain father I normally clean with the oxygenated cleaner from silicon and a soft cloth.
                          However when there is burnt deposits on the bottom that are not coming off I will soak in caustic soda which makes it come out like the day it was bought. Applying a scouring pad would leave the bottom with scratches that make the next burnt residue stick harder.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Comment

Successful brew day behind me with the wort sitting all nice and cozy in my fermenter. Have sommer put one of those blue ice bricks next to it as well since this is Durban and we live on the surface of the sun in summer.

*** Did you mean 'beer' ?***

Hope you didnt let your neighbours get a whiff of the brewday happening!?
                            Cheers,
                            Lang
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post

*** Did you mean 'beer' ?***

Hope you didnt let your neighbours get a whiff of the brewday happening!?
                              Heaven forbid... you’ll be fined by the same retards who’ll inevitably come beg for liquid gold [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Can we get white labs yeast locally?

Comment

Working...
                                X