No announcement yet.

Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WoW, Look at Toxxyc telling people not to open a FV that much. We taught you well after struggling for weeks

That beer looks fine to me but a taste and smell should tell you if it's beer
    JIGSAW
    Last edited by JIGSAW; 16 November 2020, 08:06.
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
      How do you know it tastes better? Tap some off? That increases new oxygen and microbes into the brew. Opening it was a mistake. That floating stuff - I'd be willing to bet it's an infection.
      Yes, tapped it off to check FG. Not sure whether anything can get inside by using the tap, since flow is one way.

I had to look to see. Might be infected, but going to bottle anyway and see.

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
        WoW, Look at Toxxyc telling people not to open a FV that much. We taught you well after struggling for weeks [emoji14]

That beer looks fine to me but a taste and smell should tell you if it's beer
        Haha, I have gatelhered that Toxxyc is an impatient (excited?) brewer.. Probably paid school fees over and again.

Will see in a week or so how this came out.

Comment

How do you know it tastes better? Tap some off? That increases new oxygen and microbes into the brew. Opening it was a mistake. That floating stuff - I'd be willing to bet it's an infection.

@HAP-BR3W
          Simplified;
          With the initial pitch, your yeast will aerobically (o2 rich) propagate, once the wort is anearobic (o2 poor), they start feeding on the fermentables. This creates ethanol and c02 as a byproduct. You should also note that a healthy amount of pitched yeast will be the primary driver during fermentation. Opening the fermenter (especially at the start of fermentation) is bad idea. Bacterial infection is also possible, usually acetobacter / vinegar smell to it, these boys dont care about saccharomyces cerevisiae colonies and will drop your fg lower than intended as they convert ethanol to acetic acid. Opening the lid can introduce o2, with is the catalyst. Your fermenting beer has a top layer of co2, and helps protect it. Keep in mind fermenting beer has heaps of yeast in suspension and never tastes good. Uncarbed, green, cold crashed beer tastes better, but not nearly as good as the carbed and conditioned beer.

side note edit; ethanol, ph and hops assist in keeping the nasties out to a degree, but dont just rely on that. pretty much the reason unhopped wort / unboiled wort is susceptible to easy infections. it's a prefect environment for *any* fermentation
          groenspookasem
          Banned
          Last edited by groenspookasem; 16 November 2020, 09:24. Reason: side note

Comment

• Originally posted by HAP-BR3W View Post
            Yes, tapped it off to check FG. Not sure whether anything can get inside by using the tap, since flow is one way.

I had to look to see. Might be infected, but going to bottle anyway and see.

Thanks for the input.
            I dont think he means via the tap. .....

You will NOT have flow via the tap unless air is sucked in from the top ... either via the airlock or the 'open' lid

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]2779[/ATTACH]

@HAP-BR3W
              Simplified;
              With the initial pitch, your yeast will aerobically (o2 rich) propagate, once the wort is anearobic (o2 poor), they start feeding on the fermentables. This creates ethanol and c02 as a byproduct. You should also note that a healthy amount of pitched yeast will be the primary driver during fermentation. Opening the fermenter (especially at the start of fermentation) is bad idea. Bacterial infection is also possible, usually acetobacter / vinegar smell to it, these boys dont care about saccharomyces cerevisiae colonies and will drop your fg lower than intended as they convert ethanol to acetic acid. Opening the lid can introduce o2, with is the catalyst. Your fermenting beer has a top layer of co2, and helps protect it. Keep in mind fermenting beer has heaps of yeast in suspension and never tastes good. Uncarbed, green, cold crashed beer tastes better, but not nearly as good as the carbed and conditioned beer.

side note edit; ethanol, ph and hops assist in keeping the nasties out to a degree, but dont just rely on that. pretty much the reason unhopped wort / unboiled wort is susceptible to easy infections. it's a prefect environment for *any* fermentation
              Good info, thanks. Will read up a bit more on this..

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                I dont think he means via the tap. .....

You will NOT have flow via the tap unless air is sucked in from the top ... either via the airlock or the 'open' lid [emoji106]
                Not sure if I agree, I always tap off without opening the lid. I use a blow off tube, and as far as I can tell will only suck in the co2 already in the pipe(small quantities)? Unless I completely misunderstood?

Comment

• Originally posted by HAP-BR3W View Post
                  Not sure if I agree, I always tap off without opening the lid. I use a blow off tube, and as far as I can tell will only suck in the co2 already in the pipe(small quantities)? Unless I completely misunderstood?

If that's the case - then all good. I've tapped off a lot, and the airlock always bubbles "backwards" when doing that. Had a few infections that way. Never again.

Comment

If that's the case - then all good. I've tapped off a lot, and the airlock always bubbles "backwards" when doing that. Had a few infections that way. Never again.
                    Holy crap , really?!? oh man, then i gotta be extra careful, I have been doing it this way all the time and, touch wood, so far no infections!

Comment

• What would the best way to get a sample for testing the gravity? I've used the tap on my FV and also opened it with one of my beers to see what's happening. Maybe my beer is so crap that the infections don't get noticed

Comment

• i used to use a big syringe with an extension, sanitized of course. these days i use time and rarely check fg before kegging. i'll run a sample post kegging from the 'leftovers' if i'm bothered.

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                          i used to use a big syringe with an extension, sanitized of course. these days i use time and rarely check fg before kegging. i'll run a sample post kegging from the 'leftovers' if i'm bothered.
                          Likewise, I leave my beers in the fermenter for a minimum of 2 weeks before racking into a bottling bucket. Except for Voss brews of course

Comment

• Originally posted by RudiC View Post
                            What would the best way to get a sample for testing the gravity? I've used the tap on my FV and also opened it with one of my beers to see what's happening. Maybe my beer is so crap that the infections don't get noticed
                            Im also at the point where I never check periodically ... I can judge visually when it's done fermenting and then I usually leave it a little longer for "clean-up". On kegging day I quickly pop the hydrometer straight into the bucket before siphoning to keg just to get a average on the SG.

PS: I hate taps (Siphon FTW)

Comment

• With my last beer I also didn't bother to check the fg, in fact I forgot to check the sg also. But I just want beer to drink and not too worried about abv really. When I have things under control and know a little more, I might start checking so that I can make a light abv beer in the 3-3.5% range. My biggest worry is to no create bottle bombs, so I wait for the airlock to slow down to one bubble a minute or so. Then wait a few days.

I will also take things a little more serious when starting my all grain journey to figure out what my efficiencies are.

Comment

• Tap works, sanitised turkey baster is also an option.
                                That said, my hydrometer broke 7 minths ago so currently I just check SG with refractometer and leave wort in fermenter for two to three weeks. I've had non issues...

Sent from my ART-L29 using Tapatalk
                                Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
                                Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Working...
                                X