Page 86 of 89 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast

I did some extensive reading up about exactly this a few weeks ago and it's exactly as the rest have said, if you store crushed grains well sealed in cool, dark storage, it will last 6 months no problem.
    That's why I ended up ordering about 20Kg's worth of crushed malts so that I can try various things without having to order and collect or pay for delivery each time.

I'm busy doing some research to see what I should brew as a first real brew (previously only brewed extract). My research has sort of pointed me in the direction of an APA. So now I'm wondering if there are other options wrt yeast, from what I've got so far. My best and almost only option would be Safale US-05 because of the ideal ferment temp range of 18-28 and the fact that I don't have the facilities to ferment at any other temp than ambient temp in Pretoria.

Then I also need you guys to take a wild guess if you don't mind lol. I'm trying to build a recipe op BrewersFriend website and it needs a Brewhouse Efficiency. I'll be doing this brew in a urn using BIAB. Would an efficiency of 60% with pretty much no experience be too high, or is it a safe place to start?

Is it advisable to try a SMaSH for a first try to keep things really simple?

Any suggestions and advice is gladly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by RudiC View Post
    I'm busy doing some research to see what I should brew as a first real brew (previously only brewed extract). My research has sort of pointed me in the direction of an APA. So now I'm wondering if there are other options wrt yeast, from what I've got so far. My best and almost only option would be Safale US-05 because of the ideal ferment temp range of 18-28 and the fact that I don't have the facilities to ferment at any other temp than ambient temp in Pretoria.

Then I also need you guys to take a wild guess if you don't mind lol. I'm trying to build a recipe op BrewersFriend website and it needs a Brewhouse Efficiency. I'll be doing this brew in a urn using BIAB. Would an efficiency of 60% with pretty much no experience be too high, or is it a safe place to start?

Is it advisable to try a SMaSH for a first try to keep things really simple?

Any suggestions and advice is gladly appreciated
    60 is definitely a good place to start. I got less than that on my first two brews (~53%) but then haven't I haven't gotten less than 65% since improving my processes if that helps.
    One thing i can suggest if you want to be sure to up the % a bit, keep 5L of your total volume to use for sparging - that is a great way up your efficiency(mash).
    I put a large colander over my urn, put the bag in it and rinse the grains with near boiling water.

I jumped straight in with an APA myself, was looking to do a SMaSH but had wheat as well so thought "stuff it" and made up a recipe including it.
    I then worked on the same base recipe improving it over another 3 brews. Started adding crystals and using other brands of Pale malts, more hops, etc.

HTH!

Sorry if it has been asked before.
    Is it better to get a CO2 bottle that is purpose made, or will a CO2 extinguisher work as well as?

Everyone uses an extinguisher. Having said that probably 1 guy wil now prove me wrong.
    60% is fine and apa is cool. Smash later once you know your process

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Does it have to be modified, or can it be used as is?
    Quote Originally Posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    Everyone uses an extinguisher. Having said that probably 1 guy wil now prove me wrong.

Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Modified is a strong word. You have to remove the discharge nozzle at the attachment to the handle and fit a regulator or you will blow up your keg

i have 2x 2kgs. one on the line and a full one waiting in the wings. nothing worse than running out of gas. it will happen only once though, on a long weekend right after you kegged. that's when you buy the second one :-) remember to refill it once it's empty or you'll have two empty cylinders and no beer. also dont forget your check valve or you'll eventually strip and clean the regulator (easy)

Quote Originally Posted by CaPunT View Post
    60 is definitely a good place to start. I got less than that on my first two brews (~53%) but then haven't I haven't gotten less than 65% since improving my processes if that helps.
    One thing i can suggest if you want to be sure to up the % a bit, keep 5L of your total volume to use for sparging - that is a great way up your efficiency(mash).
    I put a large colander over my urn, put the bag in it and rinse the grains with near boiling water.

I jumped straight in with an APA myself, was looking to do a SMaSH but had wheat as well so thought "stuff it" and made up a recipe including it.
    I then worked on the same base recipe improving it over another 3 brews. Started adding crystals and using other brands of Pale malts, more hops, etc.

HTH!
    Thanks

Thanks
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    Still learning, please be patient, I've had a few.
    Constructive criticism welcome.

Thank you.
    Modified is a strong word. You have to remove the discharge nozzle at the attachment to the handle and fit a regulator or you will blow up your keg

Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you