Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
    If there's yeast added, it's beer. Actively fermenting beer doesn't taste very nice. Let it finish.
    Thank you! Something new learnt.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Depending on the temps, and yeast strain you could smell a number of things...

My experience is that sulphur is very prominent during early fermentation(ruik soos eiers) of a weiss.
      Then, depending on the temp, it can be more neutral(slight clove-like) or fruity later on(more banana-like if the temp is >=21).

The fact that it smells like YEAST is a GOOD sign, because that's what you put in there after all ?

Comment

• Lager yeasts often give off a sulphur smell

Comment

• Originally posted by RudiC View Post
          https://www.communica.co.za/products...perature-meter

The price makes me wonder what the markup is in some shops. Just phoned and the price is right and they have stock in Pretoria.
          I bought the same one from BG (-50 to +110degC) - think is was R180.00, but came with batteries.

Though saw it too on MicroRobotics for I think R125
          So, R31 is a good price

Comment

• Originally posted by HAP-BR3W View Post
            How do you know when the wort is infected?
            It smells muff - like the dust from a vacuum cleaner and whereas fermenting yeast will have bubbles of all colours, the bubbles are small-isch. Infection makes bigger golfball sized bubbles and have a grey-white isch almost a metallic colour to it. You probably know the smell of fresh bread, the smell of stale bread and you'll smell if it has muff on it - same thing.

Originally posted by HAP-BR3W View Post
            Best way I can describe the smell is it smelled like when you bake bread and add the yeast and then you smell the yeast.
            The taste was almost the same.
            Sounds/smells/tastes like how it should. I think youre ok. You'll smell quick enough when its off.

How long has it been in the fermentor? Have you transferred it to a secondary fermentor during the time ?
            AlexBrew
            Last edited by AlexBrew; 12 November 2020, 08:56.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
              I bought the same one from BG (-50 to +110degC) - think is was R180.00, but came with batteries.

So, R31 is a good price
              I bought two with four batteries and it was just over R100, bargain

Comment

• Originally posted by RudiC View Post
                I bought two with four batteries and it was just over R100, bargain
                Planning to do the same.. and also get some fans for the keezer

Comment

So, R31 is a good price
                  And I really do believe they all come from the same factory, even if branded differently
                  Cheers,
                  Lang
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
                    Depending on the temps, and yeast strain you could smell a number of things...

My experience is that sulphur is very prominent during early fermentation(ruik soos eiers) of a weiss.
                    Then, depending on the temp, it can be more neutral(slight clove-like) or fruity later on(more banana-like if the temp is >=21).

The fact that it smells like YEAST is a GOOD sign, because that's what you put in there after all ?
                    Great then. It was at about 22deg all the time.
                    Thank you!

Comment

It smells muff - like the dust from a vacuum cleaner and whereas fermenting yeast will have bubbles of all colours, the bubbles are small-isch. Infection makes bigger golfball sized bubbles and have a grey-white isch almost a metallic colour to it. You probably know the smell of fresh bread, the smell of stale bread and you'll smell if it has muff on it - same thing.

Sounds/smells/tastes like how it should. I think youre ok. You'll smell quick enough when its off.

How long has it been in the fermentor? Have you transferred it to a secondary fermentor during the time ?
                      Great info thanks.

It's been in there for 10 days now. Haven't transferred, will do that before bottling.

Comment

How do you know when the wort is infected? I took a sample tonight and was wondering. Best way I can describe the smell is it smelled like when you bake bread and add the yeast and then you smell the yeast.
                        The taste was almost the same.
                        Is there any sure way to know?

Taste is already a bit better, I opened it to check, and it looks like there is fat drifting on top. Not sure?

Regardless, will taste again on bottling day.

Comment

• Each time you open up the fermenter, you risk infection, lose co2 pressure, disturb the natural balance life the universe and everything.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                            Each time you open up the fermenter, you risk infection, lose co2 pressure, disturb the natural balance life the universe and everything.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
                            I know... I never open it until bottling day.

I was curious to see if I can spot something.

Comment

• 1) I buy those thermometers from Communica in batches of 10. Discard when they die. Courier cost per unit works out very low. They are not excessively accurate and can be between 2 and 5 degrees out. I calibrate using a known value and mark the deviation on the casing using a silver or white permanent marker.

2) for more accurate measurement, I buy the k-type thermocouple unit @ around R150

https://www.communica.co.za/products...thermomr-probe

The thermocouple wire eventually dies and I buy replacements in quantities of 4 @ R25 each

3) stop looking inside your fermenter: the beer is either good or it isn't, I only taste at kegging time

Comment

Taste is already a bit better, I opened it to check, and it looks like there is fat drifting on top. Not sure?

Regardless, will taste again on bottling day.

How do you know it tastes better? Tap some off? That increases new oxygen and microbes into the brew. Opening it was a mistake. That floating stuff - I'd be willing to bet it's an infection.

Comment

Working...
                                X